Value range of an 85 with some issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dij0674

Reaction score
Hi All,

My father in law is done with his Vmax, he's had it for 30 years, bought it new in 85/86. He wants to sell it and we're not sure what it's worth.

The good, bad, and ugly.

Good
85!
one owner
taken care of
garaged
engine is clean

the bad
something going on with the electrical system, probably a voltage reg or stator
30 years worth of riding

the ugly
needs a new second gear

if you guys could chime in on the value of a bike in this condition it would help us out.

Damien

Some good use out of that one! That's the good.

The bad...second gear being fixed by a shop will cost more than the bike is worth in its present condition. Even if you did fix it, unless it was very clean, $2500 is probably about it. These bikes have the gift of being affordable, and they probably will be for a long time. The appreciation really isn't there, in the long-run, as a valuable collectible. Yes, it's an '85, but they built thousands of them, and while there are 'bragging-rights' about owning one, there really isn't any big market 'bump' for an '85, unless it was ridden by PeeWee Gleason ("don't call me PeeWee!"), and has a Kerker 4/1 and wire wheels (and numerous other mods not-known to all).

Even fixing it yourself will probably run you $1000 by the time you figure-in the gearset for 2nd, a new shift drum and forks, and a gasket set. Clutch plates, a new master cyl for clutch & the brakes, new rubber, brake shoes, a battery, and maybe a stator and voltage regulator are probably in its future for reliable use. All that will add another ~$1K, but the bike would be ready for daily use. Not really worth it since you're looking to sell it.

Rebuilding the master cyl's and fixing 2nd gear, and the electrical components which need replacement is likely the least you need. I'd say, the way it is, if someone offered you $1K, you should take it. To my way of thinking, that would be generous, given the 2nd gear and electrical issues. Does it run and drive (can you ride it by shifting from 1st to 3rd)?

$1k I would say is the max price unless you want to part it out yourself and take the time/effort required (which can bring a good amount). Average pricing for one can run $800 (like Kyle just paid) up to $3500 for a very super nice clean needs nothing bike or even higher if it has a lot of other upgrades/customization that someone else really wants.

Yep don't expect much. The one I bought is pretty clean with a guaranteed no gear issues with 9,300 original miles from the original owner . It had carb issues & charging issues & it came with all new parts for the charging system & all new carb diaphrams .

Yep don't expect much. The one I bought is pretty clean with a guaranteed no gear issues with 9,300 original miles from the original owner . It had carb issues & charging issues & it came with all new parts for the charging system & all new carb diaphrams .

Hahaha how'd you get that for 800? xD I paid 2k for my basket case :bang head:

Nice find!

It pays to keep a close lookout and to shoot the bull. It also helps that I have bought and sold a lot of these so I know exactly what I am looking at when I do see them.

Haha fair enough! Remind me to take notes on finding good deals next time I'm in the market for a parts bike :worthy:

Deals like Kyle made don't come around too often and the first and fastest to react to the deal are the lucky guys. Sometimes you can get screwed too on a "deal" so that's another thing to be cautious of.

As mentioned, i'd give MAYBE $1k for it at the most.

Deals like Kyle made don't come around too often and the first and fastest to react to the deal are the lucky guys. Sometimes you can get screwed too on a "deal" so that's another thing to be cautious of.

As mentioned, i'd give MAYBE $1k for it at the most.

I agree this one was a good deal but I have been on the other end before to. I have been fortunate enough to find quite a few good deals over the years . Its persistence that pays off. Tex85 is riding one of my good finds . I had the pleasure of buying it & selling it twice.

Now back on topic pretty much like everyone said probably not gonna get over a grand for it.

I search all over for good deals, have found more than my share of good ones. Only been burnt a couple times, but I never put myself in a position to lose money, even IF I find out later, the owner lied about 2nd gear or some serious motor damage. Never pay more for a non-running bike than you could get for it if you have to part it out, simple as that. :punk:

Sorry to detour, but since y'all are speaking about great deals, I had a bit of a spill on my bike I am on the hunt for a replacement and I've been considering the Gen I Vmax for about 20 years and I've started looking. Was planning on doing this this summer but now looks like a good time except there aren't many out there. First choice is a 2005 Anniversary but I'm fairly open to lower mileage bikes. Care to share any of those "good deals"?

thanks.

I have a few of these bikes and like everything else, condition is king. I'm talking not so much perfect running condition but clean, complete and not necessarily original.
It sure is easier to resell or consider a rebuild IF it nice to start with. I bought Fugly but working and not working but clean. If you can do things yourself, you open a lot of doors which way you can go. I would think the in law would just give you the bike. Hope you keep her going and can hand it down some day!

Agree with $1K with a bad second gear issue.

What is the Vin # ? If it's low enough you might find a taker here. They seem to like low Vin #s for some unexplainable reason.

LOL.....I guess its just one of those weird things. I have an 07, which is the last of the first gen bikes, and I also want an 85, and an 05.

This isnt a mod monkey thing....I think its a Vmax fever thing.

Back