Valve Adjustment Time: Options

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
37k miles on the clock. Not sure about maintenance history, but compression is very good, engine pretty good.

How many of you that consider yourself as average mechanics have done a proper valve adjustment on your Max?

How many of you have had a shop do it, and what did they charge?

The local stealer here did a good job with the rear tire mount/balance, but I've seen the shop workers and of course, they look like they are just out of high school.... PLUS... the shop has a policy of no working on bikes older than 15yrs old.

I replaced the valve cover gaskets awhile back and that was NOT a fun job at all. Just miserable trying to not shred the gasket while trying to fit it over the cam chain, etc. Not to mention the time involved in removing nearly everything just to get some room to work. (I know, I know... why didn't I do it then? Because I was pissing away summer riding time and winter is for wrenching...)

But I'd feel great knowing the valves were in spec. What are my options? Do it myself and, do it myself?

I've done various repairs on my Honda Civic, including tranny replacement and cylinder head replacement, etc... have worked on all my bikes (including the 85 post purchase saga repairs), have performed top-end jobs on a couple of 2-stroke engines, did a head gasket replacement on an XS650 once, etc... fixed an XS11 that slipped a tooth on the cam chain, etc. But I am not a mechanic. Does the VMax valve adjustment suck as bad as I think and how much down time would I be looking at for the repair?

If you have a supply of shims, magnetic pickup tool, feeler gages, pick tools, and the valve shim "J" took you should be set. When I did it the first time it was down the whole weekend. I had other things going on and my shim supply is 30 minutes away.

We're you having trouble with the front cam chain catching the gasket? The trick there is to remove screw holding vboost cable holder to the servo motor. Then you can tie it out of the way for more clearance.

Another trick is create a matrix on paper. Have an "X" for each valve. Next to each valve I write current clearance, current shim, desired clearance, desired shim. Sometimes another valve will have the shim you need so you can swap. Highlight the shims you need. Sometimes they will be a number in increments of something other than five...like 262 (2.62 mm). For those I write down a 2nd choice.

If you have a supply of shims, magnetic pickup tool, feeler gages, pick tools, and the valve shim "J" took you should be set. When I did it the first time it was down the whole weekend. I had other things going on and my shim supply is 30 minutes away.

We're you having trouble with the front cam chain catching the gasket? The trick there is to remove screw holding vboost cable holder to the servo motor. Then you can tie it out of the way for more clearance.

Another trick is create a matrix on paper. Have an "X" for each valve. Next to each valve I write current clearance, current shim, desired clearance, desired shim. Sometimes another valve will have the shim you need so you can swap. Highlight the shims you need. Sometimes they will be a number in increments of something other than five...like 262 (2.62 mm). For those I write down a 2nd choice.

Thanks Mark. I don't have all the tools I need. But I may not have much choice with the local shop's 15 year and newer work policy...

Latest posts

Back