VMAX made 12 miles...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edharrison

Reaction score
Well Today I collected my 98 one owner Silver Max...I pulled out and filled up opposite the dealer then with a smile headed towards home about 3pm with 70 miles ahead of me.

After 12 miles as we hit traffic she warmed up then started idling rough and yes it cut out on the A12 in the dark at rush hour, failed to restart to the point where the starter button just dimmed the lights. So an hour on the roadside waiting for the AA who checked fuses / charging and so on and she fired up, running rough but enough excuse for them to send me on my way - now with a flat mobile!

You guessed right...a few miles and she warms up and cuts out, at least she turns over now but will not run when hot. So an hour journey has took 5! Very frustrating, I paid top money from a dealer to avoid this, I am sure they will put it right but not a great day....when running it is really good but not right, I guess fuelling as the charging system is over 14 volts but it runs a little rough even when cold and you can feel a little surging at 2k / 3k revs.

Ed

if it starts cold without choke then you have an overly rich mixture which will stall the engine when hot, but mainly only at idle. if not carbs then plenty electrical points that can go wrong when hot (wires changing resistance when hot) and you need to check. i would start with main wires first...

To be honest its beyond me, a process of elimination nearly always means its the last thing you check:ummm:

The dealer has offered to collect and deal with it but not too confident in their abilities...

Ed

if that dealer is not use to working on a max, your right in not being confident and maybe you should take it to another place and bill the dealer.

check the search on the forum as i know this has happened to others.
some basics would be just put a new battery, might need to start with a new set of plugs, pee shooter and or shot gun for the carbs to clean them out. might have to take them apart for a full cleaning and any gaskets or rubber plug changes if needed.

not sure could be a bad coil or coils when they warm up start to miss fire. a nice mod is the COP mod if you look that up also....
how long was the bike sitting at the dealer?
best source besides the search here would be talk to sean morley,he can guide ya best in where to start

would a max do 12 miles on a faulty fuel pump? if you know what i mean. enough fuel in the carbs for slow riding but lacking further on.

Stupid I know but I cant find the idle adjuster - its way too low at 800.....

Well Today I collected my 98 one owner Silver Max...I pulled out and filled up opposite the dealer then with a smile headed towards home about 3pm with 70 miles ahead of me.

After 12 miles as we hit traffic she warmed up then started idling rough and yes it cut out on the A12 in the dark at rush hour, failed to restart to the point where the starter button just dimmed the lights. So an hour on the roadside waiting for the AA who checked fuses / charging and so on and she fired up, running rough but enough excuse for them to send me on my way - now with a flat mobile!

You guessed right...a few miles and she warms up and cuts out, at least she turns over now but will not run when hot. So an hour journey has took 5! Very frustrating, I paid top money from a dealer to avoid this, I am sure they will put it right but not a great day....when running it is really good but not right, I guess fuelling as the charging system is over 14 volts but it runs a little rough even when cold and you can feel a little surging at 2k / 3k revs.

Ed

Another simple thing to check is the choke linkage: if you move the choke lever, check if all four operate - they are interconnected with little bars, the front left one has a tendency to come undone. This would mean that when you push in the choke, one or more cilinders are still "on choke" so overly rich mixture

What position is the fuel switch in? Try leaving it in the "res" position (to the left). This will force the pump to remain on regardless of fuel level. Also listen for the pump. If it's not getting/supplying fuel it will click for 5 seconds each time the key is turned on. When working properly it should pressure up after a few key turns and not click again (or maybe click once or twice).

Sean

would a max do 12 miles on a faulty fuel pump? if you know what i mean. enough fuel in the carbs for slow riding but lacking further on.
I think a semi clogged filter might do that, dirty carbs. Though, I don't think that is the problem, if you have enough gas in the tank. I'll bet that battery is old and needs to be replaced to start with. Pay the extra for a good AGM battery if you have to, it's worth it. Over night not on the charger, what is the batt. voltage? The dealer needs to make good too.I'm sorry to hear about this. Welcome to the forum. You're in good hands here. Read some of the threads here and you'll get a good understanding of the Vmax also.
Steve-o

Last edited:
Wow, what a bum deal. Bet you are pissed with them.

Here's the good deal. Whatever they do, call them and get the exact cause and what they did to fix it before you head on in to get it.
Post it here and people will tell you if it sounds feasible, or if it is just pure bullshit!

Welcome to the forum. There is always somebody here who knows the answer to your questions, and willing to spend the time to talk you through your problems!

All we ask in return is that you post topless pictures of your missus, and send us a little bit of weed once in a while.

Just kidding about that last bit! :eusa_dance:

I'd go for electrical... Check main ground cable for looseness or bad electrical connections.

Well they collected it - brought back my P/EX and called it a day! So now looking for another VMAX - Gutted.

Geez, so-many things that could go wrong, but if you don't have the tools, skills, time, or place to work on it, you need to have a deep wallet & a good mechanic, or as has been mentioned here, start w/the basics & try to do what you can after researching on here & posting questions.

I think you likely will find several issues which cumulatively will prevent you from being able to have it sorted-out & ready-to-go when you drove it off from the dealer's.

Everything mentioned, dirty carbs, partially-plugged fuel filter, bad ground, bad electrical connection(s), all these can affect your reliability and operability.

Apart from just doing easy things like replacement of the air & fuel filters (it doesn't matter if they 'look clean,' just replace them) and checking-out the health of the battery, I suggest troubleshooting the electrical connections-everywhere. The switches, the grounds, the battery terminals, and one I found to be a problem for me, the connector from the regulator/rectifier. I had a 'hanging-by-a-few-strands' single connector in the nylon disconnect, which broke when I unplugged the thing. Some people on here solder the wires instead of using a stock plug, but since I replaced the reg./rectifier, which was going bad, and had increased resistance at the plug from a poor connection, the electrical system has been 100% and I run a high wattage bulb in the high beam. Of course, I also cleaned the grounds and checked the other connectors, all of which is well-documented in the stickys in the electrical section, or you can do an advanced search and find more info.

Yes, let the dealer try it for a fix, ask them to road-test it before returning it to you, and then spend some time in the immediate vicinity to see it does work properly before your 70 mi trip home.

A strong battery and good connections, clean well-metered fuel delivery, and you are a long way to being able to enjoy your ride.

I sprung for a lithium-ion battery, expensive, but w/400+ cold-cranking-amps, it assures me that I have Powerful Marching Electrons to do my bidding.
REDDY-KILOWATT.gif

I forgot about the vent. If the vent is clogged the pump can't pull fuel efficiently. Let it do it again and then pull the cap. If it "whooses" air in then the vent is plugged (an easy fix).

Sean

My 85 did that a couple of times. The problem turned out to be several, dirty clogged fuel filter, small in hole in the fuel line allowing air to be sucked in when the fuel pump was pressurizing the system. Also the coil wires to the plugs had some green corrosion on the causing intermittent spark. All simple repairs and once done no more issues.

Could the low idle be from starved fuel ( Clogged Filter ) ?

If I read this correctly, you backed-out of the deal & are looking for another possible purchase?

Well they collected it - brought back my P/EX and called it a day! So now looking for another VMAX - Gutted.

Latest posts

Back