Voodoo fork brace?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ I've had the exact same experience with the Shinko TM 230 rear as you have Todd.
I've had my Max since 2001 and I've tried just about every tire made in the Stock size and V rated rears and the TM 230 Rear is far and away the Stickiest rear tire I have ever put on it.
I bought a Bridgestone Exedra max rear last year just to try it out.
It is decent (much stickier than most others) but definitely not as sticky as the TM 230.
I'll be curious to see how long the Exedra Max lasts.
And I've also never had a problem with the Shinko having run out or any other issue.
And to be honest my next rear tire will most likely be another Shinko TM 230.

I wonder since you don't ride it that often if the reason you see lateral run out. Maybe its soft enough that it settles while the bike sits in one spot for periods of time.

I have heard of people getting a bad Shinko ( which I have heard the same thing about other major name tires ), but I can only say I have run atleast 10 sets of Shinko's on my last few bikes and never had one shimmy shake or problem UNTIL the front tire had mileage on it. And by Mileage I mean usually 6000-8000 miles. Which is almost the life of the tire for the softer tires. 10,000 is when I changed the last one, and I only stretched it out because I was taking a trip and I had that planned, or I would have changed it sooner.

The Busa rear tire only lasted around 800 miles, but that was alot of power being put down on that tire and it was expected to do alot.

The Shinko on the rear of the Vmax NEVER gave me a problem ever, it was ALWAYS the front that gave me shake. I don't think you could really feel the shake of a rear tire comparably to the front tire ( thats not even a "I dont think" , thats a definite no, you can't feel the same shake from the front to rear tire , its totally different feeling ).

I just want to check, you meant the rear tire correct? Not the front tire?

And my other thought would be the middle strip on the Shinko does grab WAY differently than the stock Dunlop does. That strip in the Shinko you will feel on certain roads as it "crowns" the road. So that might what you felt?

I bought a 97 Vmax last year and it had Metzler tires on it. Those were the worst tires I ever had on a Vmax. They were so hard, that when you got on it in 1st gear it would break loose and slide you all over. It may be cool if you want to do smoke shows and rolling burnouts in second gear, but it was terrible for any sort of traction. I almost dumped the bike with the Metzler LOL. When I rode my 99 home ( with the Shinko ), I was utterly amazed at how even just coasting through a turn it gripped that much better than the Metzler.

So the Shinko's are SUPER soft, you don't get the mileage and you go through them fast. But if you want uber traction then thats the price you pay for it. And I will say that if I had something like a stock Dunlap or Metzler on my 99 when I was racing it, I would probably not have broken drive shafts as much as I did, because I am sure the tire would have spun and not gripped like the Shinko did.

Todd

Todd, my 85 rests squarely on it's center stand 100% of the time it is in my garage. That Shinko is on the rear. It was spot on, and super smooth when I first installed it. No problem whatsoever. Then 400 miles, or so, later it developed the very noticeable wobble. Upon getting home one day, I put it on the center stand, dropped it into gear, throttled it up a bit and watched it spinning with noticeable side to side run out. Bead is still properly seated, or so it seems from all outward appearances. The wheel is not bent I suspect that for some reason, it has a busted cord, or two, inside it's carcass. I do not remember hitting any sizeable potholes, but there could be different reasons why a set of tire cords no longer run straight. My biggest concern now would be to watch it closely so as to catch any tread separation that may develop -vs- simply order another tire and go ahead with the swapout. Had this 85 still been my main Vmax, I would have had use of most of that rubber long ago, and already changed out. But since Shinko tread starts out deeper than OEM Dunlops, and it is no longer the Arkansas twisties bike of choice, I still have prolly 4/5 tread life remaining. There's a 1 1/2 mile stretch of straight, flat hwy between my house and town, that I routinely hit triple digits upon, and with that tire, I now have got to think about slowing down. That's a bummer to me.

Incidently, back in the 80's, when I was more into the clutch dumping burnouts etc, I had no problem breaking drive shafts and u-joints with an OEM Dunlop mounted. In fact, couple of times I had to do emergency braking when the front end tried to mimic an Apollo moon launch. I guess the Dunlops are capable of at least some traction.

My thoughts.
dman I think it matters what beer your on when you test your bike. :rofl_200:

Jfeagins Might have something to do with your weight. :rofl_200: But then again i might out weigh you and i never had a shake ever on my bike.:biglaugh:

Toddler Trust me there was alot more than one turn that i was going to go side by side with you. When i could see through the turn and dident have to worry about on coming cars i would say to myself you could do it and than i would say ya but if i do that than he will rail me on the next one and ricks gona go for it and the wall of rock and the deep drop off's will be the next thing one of us or all three of us would be dealing with. :rofl_200:

Rick this year i will be putting you out front on a twistie mountain rd just so you can show me what you got. I would love to see you take off and pull away like you say you can. But saying its one thing this year you get to show it.:biglaugh:

Vmaxmike, you may be on to something there. I bet I jumped on the bike and bent that darn Shinko too.

Enough about fork braces - I want to know more, much more, regarding the eggs from a GIANT spider you found on the bike. And more importantly, do you think you killed all those eggs? Do you think their mamma GIANT spider is still out there some where? And last, but certainly not least: If mamma GIANT spidy is still out there, do you think she, or any of her offspring, could ever make it all the way over to this part of Missouri? :surprise::eek: Freegin' hate spiders..

LOL...there are a LOT of brown widows in the garage. I even found a pic for you.

Attachments

• brown_widow_spider_large.jpg
    brown_widow_spider_large.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 16
That may be creepy, but it ain't no giant spidy. I have a few black widows around here, tons of brown recluse spiders, and also quite a few long legged rafter spiders. 8 legged freaks, every one of them.

Its looking more and more like i will be riding this to thunder. so maybe i better buy a forkbrace so i can keep up with rick :biglaugh: I priced out a 2014 gen 2 vmax at $18134 out the door and i wouldent go any older than 2011 and thats $15000 and that to much money for only 6 to 7 months of riding per year. So you guys will have to fallow this super bird to the mountains.

Attachments

• 2013-11-10_12-22-25_269.jpg
    2013-11-10_12-22-25_269.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 28
coconut-crab.jpg

That my friends is a creepy eight legged freak!

Todd

Back