Water in engine (sad day)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kakis

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I not a very participative member in the forum but a very frequent reader.
I own a Vmax 92 which is not working and have been seating in my patio for almost 3 year. I decided to start this new year working on my bike and make it run ( it was one of my new year resolutions). Sadly for my surprise, I discovered that the engine was full of water. I drained and flushed with a lot of oil. I haven't opened yet. I will take the engine down this coming weekend to check the damage. I know water is the worst enemy of engines... I really want to make this Vmax operable. This Vmax was a gift from my father long time ago, but I don't want to spend all my savings fixing it. you guys will hear about me a lot during this coming week, Im planning to take pictures and I will really need all the advice I can get on this one!:ummm:

thanks
:sad2:

Hope you have a place to do all this work. If couldn't find a place for your sentimental possession from your Dad. These guys will help as
much as possible. Hope it all works out for you.

Got to ask - how did the water get into the engine and how much water are we taking about? Is the engine seized or will it turn over?

Mike

You're going to be looking at a bore job and possible cylinder head repair. The bore job isn't that bit a deal but you're going to find these engines are expensive. We can offer you anything from advice, to parts, to a full service repair (or even a replacement engine).

Post up as you go and we'll see how bad it is.

Sean

Thank you for the reply !

Pmax- thank you for the support

maxcruiser- the bike is in my back patio under a roof and covered, I live in Florida usually we get terrible weather in summer here. I honestly don't have idea how the water got in to the engine. Some rain could reach the bike on a very heavy rain, but for sure it wasn't there last time the engine was started. (1 year ago). I was planing to turn the engine on. I was changing the oil and doing a pre lubrication when I found the water. Im sure the water found the way in by one of the carburetors, I removed them and I could see the trace of the water ruining down to the valves. also water on the oil ( not emulsification)

one2dmax- thank you! I will take the engine down this weekend.Also I will take a bunch of pictures to share.

Last edited:
Where in Florida? May be some others close that are willing to help...
I'm in St. Petersburg. Good Luck.

CaptainKyle has what ever parts I don't buy right away.. He's hidden the engines behind his tool boxes so I'm not tempted...:rofl_200:His Tech Days are well worth attending, you'll meet a lot of Florida Vmax Owners there...

I got the engine removed today...
It took me almost 4 hours; it wasn't that bad to take out :biglaugh:
attachment.php

finally I could take a better look in the manifold intake an this is what i saw :bang head:
Mainly what you see there is oil that I poured few days ago, (and the *&%^# rust):damn angry:.I removed the oil one more time and added more clean one.

attachment.php

I removed the valve cover and looked ok! no problems there.

attachment.php

Tomorrow I'm going to mount the engine on my engine stand, the only problem is that I don't have big rods.. Any advice in what can I use?also I want to clean the engine any advice how to clean it? "how to cover the intake and exhaust holes". Eventually I will remove the cylinder cam. Any precautions or advice will be very appreciated.

Attachments

• 2011-01-14 16.20.34.jpg
    2011-01-14 16.20.34.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 2011-01-15 16.13.31.jpg
    2011-01-15 16.13.31.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 228
  • 2011-01-15 14.31.04.jpg
    2011-01-15 14.31.04.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 233
Well, so far so good but of course water is gonna find and collect in the low spot. Keep digging. I am sure we all are waiting to see if the bottom is good or not. Nice pics so far. Ft Liquordale eh? We might have some Maxers that way. Do you know about Boxenstopp up the road from you? Patmax

Tim, since your moving down here it may be valuable to know that the rain doesn't always come from above but sideways, frontways, backways and from the ground up! Rainy season is summertime. Ride before 2pm. Have cover available until dinnertime. Get a few hours in at evening time. Watch out for the bugs. If you don't ride with a full face helmet it will take one time eating a "palmetto" bug and you will be a convert. Winter and Spring is our time to tear it up!

Today I only worked a bit on the working area. I prepare the space to take everything a part. also I ordered a V-Max Engine Assembly Reference DVD that I found on ebay, here is the link just in case someone want to buy them. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vmax-V-Max-Yamaha-1200cc-V-Max-Engine-Assembly-DVD-/260721047499?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb42f77cb#ht_500wt_1182
PATMAX: Yea I will keep digging in! I checked Boxenstop's web page! Man that guy Needs a web page designer right now!:rofl_200: I will keep it around just in case. I travel to Gainesville, Fl a lot! Daytona is like one hour from Gainesville. I may go one day and check the store!
COP RUNNER: I don't have a $%&#* idea how the water got into my carbs! That is a freaking mystery for me! I'm even suspecting of girlfiend :rofl_200: She doesn't want me to fix the bike!. But you know what I think a bout that right? :punk: .

LOLOLOLOL :rofl_200: PATMAX totally true! Have you ever crossed Alligator Alley in a Summer late afternoon? that is something that you do only one time in your life! you need a full body suit, any naked peace of skin will be punished! plus a close helmet, and at least a gallon of bug remover!:biglaugh:

I could only imagine hitting a palmetto bug at 80 mph, probably feel like you got hit with a baseball if you were only wearing a t-shirt! I never saw any flying when I lived in New Orleans, but if you didn't keep your sink drain stopper in they would crawl right into your sink or worse!

Hey Guys Is any way to remove cam shafts and cylinder heads with out rotating the engine to T1 and T2? I don't really want to move the pistons at all! any ideas?

Taking them out is easy - just unbolt the caps and remove them. You'll preload one of the cams a bit but i've never had one have a problem from it. They WILL require turning the engine over to reinstall them.

Sean

Thank you Sean, this coming weekend is "disassembly weekend" I just want to minimize damage! I know for sure as you told me that rings are bad and valves has to be worked in some way. I have hope for the cylinders..

Latest posts

Back