Water Pump Leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulibiker

Reaction score
I have a 05 with 2100 miles and it appears the the water pump is leaking. I have a little coolant coming out of the hole on the bottom of the pump. It is out of warranty. I hear this is a common problem. What do I need to fix the leak? Where can I find directions to do it? How long will it take? How much?
THANKS Paul

paulibiker said:
I have a 05 with 2100 miles and it appears the the water pump is leaking. I have a little coolant coming out of the hole on the bottom of the pump. It is out of warranty. I hear this is a common problem. What do I need to fix the leak? Where can I find directions to do it? How long will it take? How much?
THANKS Paul

You can go a few different routes.

I'm sure it is out of regular warranty but I would call Yamaha's help line (in your manual) and see if they would do a "good faith" repair on it. From your other thread I read it has already been repaired once by the dealer and the expected life of the pump is far more then the miles you have on the bike. Explain this to them and you might get them to do the repair. Don't take the first no you get. Ask for their supervisor if you get a no. Then if he/she gives you a no ask for the representative for that area who looks over warranty issues to visit with you about it.

Anyway,

I would bet all they did was replace the seal which would hold for a bit. BUT - it sounds like you have a bad bearing or a bad shaft. Both of which can be replaced seperately and easily. In your position I would consider just buying a new pump assembly (we can get you a good discount) and swap it out. You'll need a new gasket and the pump. Then drain the coolant (plug on the bottom) and remove the cover which you will re-use. Then remove the remaining few bolts to remove the pump. Clean up the gasket surface and reassemble. This shouldn't take you much more then an hour to do.

If you decide to try and repair the pump it come apart pretty easily with a set of snap ring pliers. it's easy to warp the snap ring by over squeezing it so do it just enough to pull it off the shaft. Then the little pin removes and the impeller and shaft will pull out. From there you can access the bearing and the seals. They should tap out easliy with a punch from the opposite sides and then re-assemble.

Of course I have sent in one for chroming and could even do so with yours but again the shaft on yours is likely scarred up and/or the bearing loose (may or may not be able to feel it).

Either way I would be calling Yamaha.

Sean Morley

THANKS Paul

How'd this come out Paul?

:ummm:

Back