Wavy brake disc

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi-

Reaction score
Been messing in solidworks and drew up a new rear disc. If I'm happy I'll send it to a friend with a laser cutter in a DXF. file and he said he would do it for nothing:eusa_dance:
Any thoughts to the design?

Attachments

• disc2a.jpg
    disc2a.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 90
Jedi... you and I need to put our skills together... too bad we are only 1/2 way around the world from each other! I looked into this a while back and it was almost impossible to get the good stainless used on rotors... 420 I believe. How are you going to surface grind them and heat treat them... Here is a picture of a rotor I saw go on eBay a while back and I was going to replicate it.... actually I can't find it, but it had the VMax logo cut in it 4 times around the rotor. Here is one from Galfer...

Attachments

• galfer_rotor.jpg
    galfer_rotor.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 70
Jedi... you and I need to put our skills together... too bad we are only 1/2 way around the world from each other! I looked into this a while back and it was almost impossible to get the good stainless used on rotors... 420 I believe. How are you going to surface grind them and heat treat them... Here is a picture of a rotor I saw go on eBay a while back and I was going to replicate it.... actually I can't find it, but it had the VMax logo cut in it 4 times around the rotor. Here is one from Galfer...

I'm going to use 304 stainless, no heat treatment possible. I probably will just machine the faces but I can grind them if I have to. I don't know what distortion I might find after laser cutting but I'm sure I can get it flat.
Decided to use this design now as per the pic.

Attachments

• discfinal.jpg
    discfinal.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 44
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 37
You have the right idea to get it surface ground. I used 304 stainless on this one of a kind rotor I had made for my Super Magna and I failed not get it grounded. So unfortunatly it has a slight pulse when hitting the front brakes hard :bang head: Otherwise, I love it :biglaugh:

Last edited:
The hardest part to make that I don't see in these rotors is the floating mechanisms.

Sean

Ah, I just had to re-read your original post. I see now it is for the rear. I don't know if it would make much difference to run a solid one on the front or not?? If so it would be cool to get one larger and then I could remake some adapters to fit the increased diameter. That's where we can really improve the braking power.

Sean

Ah, I just had to re-read your original post. I see now it is for the rear. I don't know if it would make much difference to run a solid one on the front or not?? If so it would be cool to get one larger and then I could remake some adapters to fit the increased diameter. That's where we can really improve the braking power.

Sean

My bike is 1990 the fronts are also non floating.

Yes, the right rear is even the same as the right front. A good set of my adapters, R1/Vmax newer Rotors, and Huyabusa Calipers and you'd have killer front brakes.

Sean

Done, dreamed up a way to machine it flat without any chatter and it worked fine. There was minimal distortion after laser which was a relief.
can't wait to put it on this weekend:eusa_dance:

Attachments

• disc 011 (Large).jpg
    disc 011 (Large).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 40
Back