Well that's one way to find out fuel light and reserve don't work.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Download the factory shop manual from on here or VMaxoutlaw, and read-up on the install. Time-consuming but not that difficult if you read the directions. The bike should probably run better for you w/them installed, w/your current setup. Some guys like the way it idles w/o the VBoost working. Then it sounds like a cammed V8.

Yes, that is the plug.

Download the factory shop manual from on here or VMaxoutlaw, and read-up on the install. Time-consuming but not that difficult if you read the directions. The bike should probably run better for you w/them installed, w/your current setup. Some guys like the way it idles w/o the VBoost working. Then it sounds like a cammed V8.

Yes, that is the plug.

Without it installed I'm guessing that also promotes burning more fuel correct? And that could be another part to why my range is so cruddy?

Without it installed I'm guessing that also promotes burning more fuel correct? And that could be another part to why my range is so cruddy?

From the people that Ive talked to, there really isnt much difference in fuel mileage with v-boost opened or closed.

With the V-boost closed, you should get better response down lower....like driving around town.

From the people that Ive talked to, there really isnt much difference in fuel mileage with v-boost opened or closed.

With the V-boost closed, you should get better response down lower....like driving around town.

Good to know thanks! I'll start with getting a full exhaust system and igni switch from Sean and then hopefully a dyno to get the proper sized jets in it.

I am not a tuner genius or a professional mechanic. At smaller throttle openings, increased velocity of intake flow, due to smaller ports (or a closed VBoost) should result in better torque and throttle response. At higher engine speeds, increased air/fuel volume will result in more power.

Try to avoid mixing two issues of poor gas milagr and the malfunctioning low fuel/RES operation. Could simple as changing the fuel level sensor on the bottom of the gas tank. (Somewhat labor intensive).
Your current set up is like cooking a meal with half the ingredients and expecting it to taste right.
If you are all about mileage, get rid of the Stage 7 parts, sell them here and go back to stock. That sounds like what you want. Of course even with a stock bike, cranking that throttle all the time will cause lower gas mileage results too.

Try to avoid mixing two issues of poor gas milagr and the malfunctioning low fuel/RES operation. Could simple as changing the fuel level sensor on the bottom of the gas tank. (Somewhat labor intensive).
Your current set up is like cooking a meal with half the ingredients and expecting it to taste right.
If you are all about mileage, get rid of the Stage 7 parts, sell them here and go back to stock. That sounds like what you want. Of course even with a stock bike, cranking that throttle all the time will cause lower gas mileage results too.

I'm not attempting to mix them as one in the same. Just noting that both are issues to me.

I'm planning on getting a full exhaust system to allow the stage 7 to perform properly. I'm not looking for 40-50mpg, but I would like to expect around 30 mpg and hopefully slightly better (100 to light around 120 to empty). And right now my bike is at 23mpg.

I did NOT buy the Vmax expecting it to be a fuel saver. I would have just stuck with my FZ6 if I wanted that, but I believe there is a clear cut line between fuel consumption having fun on a Vmax and negligent fuel consumption due to lack of proper setup on a Vmax (stock exhaust with stage 7 and possibly too large of jets etc)

So the current goal is to cook my meal with a full set of ingredients by getting an exhaust system and igni box. And then from there I plan on seeing how bit all fairs out.

May have to do a final drive or overdrive kit after that as well but I have read too much on here about people averaging 37-38mpg with performance mods to accept 23 mpg (and I accept the current issue is the meal with only half the ingredients)

I wish I was able to get 100 miles on a tank (before or after reserve). I'm trying to narrow down the problem. Got stage 7 jet kit with modified stock exhaust. Wanting to get a full exhaust on it soon as well as a igni switch. After that my next guess would be to look at the mains and see what size the PO has in the bike to see if he was running like 170s and should be running 155s or 152.5s.

Any additional ideas are welcome as unfortunately my knowledge is limited on the Vmax and I'm just an accountant by day so the tax code makes more sense to me than some of the stuff relating to my bike does.

What is the condition of your engine? A compression or leak down test should be the first step. Get the horse before the cart. Full exhaust, carb upgrades, after market ignition, dyno tuning, are all a waste of money if the engine isn't in good condition. A good running stock engine is basic for the upgrades you want to do. Compression has everything to do with how efficiently your burning fuel. Carb. condition too. Restricted air filters will screw your mileage for sure. The list of basics goes beyond the mentioned. I'd get someone with extensive Vmax knowledge to check the engine out.In the long run, you'll be better off.

What is the condition of your engine? A compression or leak down test should be the first step. Get the horse before the cart. Full exhaust, carb upgrades, after market ignition, dyno tuning, are all a waste of money if the engine isn't in good condition. A good running stock engine is basic for the upgrades you want to do. Compression has everything to do with how efficiently your burning fuel. Carb. condition too. Restricted air filters will screw your mileage for sure. The list of basics goes beyond the mentioned. I'd get someone with extensive Vmax knowledge to check the engine out.In the long run, you'll be better off.

Well it appears as though I need to do some extensive research in finding out who, if anyone, in my area has knowledge on the Vmax engine. It feels like it runs well but I will not make a statement to the quality of it without knowing exactly how good or bad everything is doing.

Thanks for the advice

Back