what bikes have you had that were quicker than the Vmax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my Max for what it is:biglaugh:. Fast, comfy, good milage, and good looks.
My ZX-11 will cut it the poor Max in half but it's just another black crotch rocket and dosen't have the character of the Max. I'm just real glad to have them both.
Lew

I agree, while the Vmax is a great performer, modern C/R 600's can get by most of the time. But the Vmax has more character, quick enough to be thrilling and can be made to be comfortable for longer trips. I love my Vmax!
This is the fastest bike I have owned.

Oh come on, I LOVE VMAX'S and have had many but good on long trips? :rofl_200: I even had Sean customize my seat and it is still hard on the balls.........lol that is when I can feel them after a long ride.....lol

The VMAX is great bike but I wouldn't say a great long trip bike would be one of them in my opinion......lol

I guess it depends on what a longer trip would be. I did an 800 mile day on my Hayabusa (I had heli bars and a corbin seat)

I would not try that on the Vmax. :)

My first bike was a 83 v65magna,fast but the vmax could take it. The second a97 cbr600f3 was probably equal top end and a little slower in the 1/4, the third a 2000 cbrxx was faster all around. I liked all of them but I wouldnt trade my vmax for any of them.

I bought mine new in April, 1985. Will never sell it. 50,000 miles but not riding it much anymore. In fact, he turned **25** yesterday! April 30. Happy Birthday, ole boy!

I took it to the drags years ago and turned an 11.5 @ 117 MPH @ 2,300' elevation (I'm not an experienced drag racer!). That's slow by today's standards ~ but it doesn't really matter to me cause ole Max has become a trusted member of the family. Heck, we even set a place for him at the Thanksgiving dinner table. :biglaugh:

I guess it depends on what a longer trip would be. I did an 800 mile day on my Hayabusa (I had heli bars and a corbin seat)

I would not try that on the Vmax. :)

My son and I did a "Buffalo Wings" and Finger Lakes ride last year on the Max (2-up). I took a map-shot of our route. It was just over 1000 kms or 800 miles. I don't recommend this as a habit on the Max!

Cheers!

Blaine

Attachments

• buffalowings.jpg
    buffalowings.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 24
It's fast but not the worlds fastest bike. Simple fact...most 600 sport bikes will take it.
That not why I love my max though, I might not beat everyone in the parking lot on my bike but I'm sure as hell not ganna park next to one just like it either. If my choice is damn fast but not FASTEST or bike from a cookie cutter mold I'll take the day late and a dollar short addition.
Better to be regognised by your custom bike than another guy on a stock bike that he bought that way but that's just my oversized opinion.

I hear the term "ccokie cutter" about a lot of bikes: sportbikes, cruisers, touring bikes. Another way to look at it is that we all have our own personal tastes in motorcycles: we buy them new or used and add as much or as little as we want to make them "ours". The VMax is a distinct looking bike for sure but I've been on VMax rides and when you put 20-some VMax's in the same parking lot it does give a cookie-cutter impression!

Blaine

thats a gorgeous loop blaine. i grew u in utica so know the area decently, my g/f grew up there too and went to ithaca college

There's so much nice scenery in upstate NY and we only covered a few percent of it! The folks we met were nice and friendly too. I'd love to see Letchworth State Park again only this time with the Fall Colours. If you have any favourite routes in this area, please let me know b/c I'm going back this summer/fall for another 2 or 3 trips.

Something I really did appreciate about the Max on that trip was all the torque. It made passing slower vehicles a cinch...no gear dancing required which is something you cannot say about 600 cc sportbikes (especially 2-up)!

Cheers!

Blaine

Rode right past my house by 10 Miles, Near Canandaigua..Yep great ass Country for sure..I have done the 5 lakes in one long day. Always a Great adventure in the Finger lakes.

My son and I did a "Buffalo Wings" and Finger Lakes ride last year on the Max (2-up). I took a map-shot of our route. It was just over 1000 kms or 800 miles. I don't recommend this as a habit on the Max!

Cheers!

Blaine

My trip around the Finger Lakes was "planned" a few days before I left. We didn't have a an exact route in mind but EvilD did say the 20/5 route East out of Buffalo was scenic. After that we just looked at maps and spoke to fellow riders about where to find nice roads. The GPS came in handy for finding gas stations along the way!

If I do this route again I'll give some more notice and hopefully hook up with a few of you local riders. You sure have some beautiful roads and scenery there!

Cheers!

Blaine

i have a 1300 cc v-max 600cc super sport in the traffic lights dont know what they hit them and my bets friend with a gsxr 1000 k-7 gets frond of me after 140 km/h .

My Nitrous 85 Gpz 900r Luv the 80's...

On good day my 76 GS 750 Suzy with a RC 870cc kit/cams/heads/carbs/dyna /sprockets

yankee

Attachments

• n6.pdf
    805.8 KB · Views: 11
My 2007 Triumph Speed Triple was a lot faster, handled better, got better mileage... I'm so happy to be back on a VMAX! It's the intangibles, see?

yea my 2000 speed triple was the same. haha. not as reliable tho

only bike ive owned that was EVEN CLOSE to being able to touch either of the Vmax's ive owned was a ZL900(that wasnt stock) but my dad would always go by me sooner or later on his max,drove me nuts :p

My ZX12R is a lot faster. It's been bored and stroked to ~1400 and has 200wrhp on the dyno. It's almost scary fast.

What makes the Vmax unique is it is one of the fastest cruiser style bikes out there. It's comfortable and yet fast for what it is. I like having a sport bike and the Vmax...you can appreciate both for what they are.

I test rode one of the very very scarce Turbo XS 11's. Got the front end back on the ground at about 105 mph, sounded like an aircraft tire hitting the ground. I pushed it on up to 156 mph and it was still pulling strong. I ran out of clear road. It felt faster but it's been a long time ago. Don't even know if these made production? Added: I did confirm that this bike was released in 1982 and it came with 220 European Horse Power. Quite a stout bike.

I had an XJ 1100 with YICS Induction that I always wondered how it would compare to the Max. It pulled hard to 147 mph but I think it was just a little slower than my Max getting there. Not Much, I had it tuned to perfection.

My Standard XS 11 was a Pig, like a casterated V-Max (No Boost)

None of the other 34 bikes I've actually owned could compare.

Last edited:
Well boys the gen 2 is now hear and performing quite well against most bikes is the 1/4 mile. I want one so bad but still can't get over the price tag. :bang head:

CIMG1139.JPG

not faster, but definitely quicker! since i like you all, i'll share a half-naked shot just so you get the picture of her ;)

Back