What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Portland, Oregon. Washed off road grime from trip up yesterday. Found coolant drain valve dripping. Went to Yamaha for an o-ring. They only sell the whole valve $65.00 and we'll have to order it. I laughed at them, they laughed at me and I left. Back in the parking lot the o-ring had quit dripping. We jumped on the bikes and rode over to the coast for lunch. The traffic back was heavy but moving good.

Had my first run with the Max Midnight 'Precision' Gear Change Linkage.

I replaced the ball and sockets on the linkage with decent rod ends and re bushed the lever and added a shim to remove the slop there.

It now snicks into gear like a snicky thing that has just been snuck

Well pleased! :eusa_dance:

Mr G - Useless? Hardly - it's not as if I am explaining a complicated engineering principle!

I would have thought that most folk would have understood what a tie rod with two ball end joints looks like.

However, for those that need pictures as well as words...

picture.php

repositioned the handlebar somewhat (rotated it downward a little) - much more comfortable riding position now, reminds me of my GS500E I learned the trade on, can't wait to take it out (started raining...). Took of the radiator grill and side covers, cleaned the radiator (blowing it out, rinsing & blowing dry). Ordered a beowulf set of stainless grill/covers
http://beowulf-performance-products.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=1853
Now if it would just stop raining!

FINALLY got around to getting the O2 sensor installed into my header and am wiring things up so I can "tune on the fly" so to speak. Will be nice to have the A/F ratio gauge up and running so I know what way to adjust the EFI. Doing a bunch of little maintenance that I have been putting off as of late as well. Also have a couple of new projects I am fabbing up for Toxic, updates to follow......

Finished up the dreaded o ring fix ( kawi o ring with the coo button ) 10 40 casterol motorcycle oil. Now my oil pressure is 8-10 ideling and 10+ per 1000 rpm. This is a good fix. Thanks to Sean for the kawi o ring part #

Portland, Oregon. Washed off road grime from trip up yesterday. Found coolant drain valve dripping. Went to Yamaha for an o-ring. They only sell the whole valve $65.00 and we'll have to order it. I laughed at them, they laughed at me and I left. Back in the parking lot the o-ring had quit dripping. We jumped on the bikes and rode over to the coast for lunch. The traffic back was heavy but moving good.

I realized that same thing this spring. Over the winter, it had leaked a small puddle of coolant from the drain valve o-ring. Once it warmed up(the weather that is), it stopped leaking, and it lever let a drip by all summer. Not too much of a problem for me.

The valve does come apart, so I suspect you could just take the old o-ring to a hardware store and find a generic replacement if it leaks that bad.

Installed a leather tank cover, changed the oil again, bought a flyscreen, trying to figure out when I am putting the bike up for winter to do the overhaul kit I am getting from Sean.:punk:
Will also be painting and powder coating the bike black. With black chrome scoops and mirrors also
thanks again to Sean:worthy:

Spokane Wash. Got to Tim Hines' house last night. Today we took a ride through the Spokane Indian reservation. About 200 mi. Beautiful scenery. Beautiful day. Okay so it rained the last 20 min.it is Wash. Checked coolant. Added 3tbl spoons to top up. We're all ready for Canada tomorrow.

Did the DD clutch mod today, went for a ride and sprayed the last shot of my nitrous in 5th gear under a heavy load and no slippage whatsoever:biglaugh:

Going to fill the bottle back up tomorrow and its on!!!:rocket bike:

sent something to cali. also just making my mind up for something else from mr morley. looked at a website to order something else and talked to someone local about another part of the job.

Did the DD clutch mod today, went for a ride and sprayed the last shot of my nitrous in 5th gear under a heavy load and no slippage whatsoever:biglaugh:

Going to fill the bottle back up tomorrow and its on!!!:rocket bike:
Bill your rear tire, your poor rear tire, it's gonna need a priest in short order me thinks! The priest can give it's last rites while standing in the tire smoke haze!:worthy:

From what I can tell most of you guys won't like what I did but I'll share it anyway.

I installed a fairing & some other things to get it ready to go to Ocean City Bike week. I needed something to keep the wind off me. I put a before & after pic.

Attachments

• VMAX 2.jpg
    VMAX 2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Fairing.jpg
    Fairing.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 29
  • fairing 4.jpg
    fairing 4.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 34
From what I can tell most of you guys won't like what I did but I'll share it anyway.

I installed a fairing & some other things to get it ready to go to Ocean City Bike week. I needed something to keep the wind off me. I put a before & after pic.

what part of Pa do you live in?

It looks like you did a good job of fitting the fairing. May not be everybody's cup of tea but if it works for you that's all that really matters!
I've been contemplating adding more wind protection for long trips but probably will not just because I wouldn't want to take it off! My next bike is going to have a fairing so I'll just wait for it and "suffer" with my current setup(which really isn't that bad:biglaugh:).
Welcome to Vmax Forum!:punk:

i actually like it! any pics from the drivers seat? what brand, where'd ya get it?

It looks like you did a good job of fitting the fairing. May not be everybody's cup of tea but if it works for you that's all that really matters!
I've been contemplating adding more wind protection for long trips but probably will not just because I wouldn't want to take it off! My next bike is going to have a fairing so I'll just wait for it and "suffer" with my current setup(which really isn't that bad:biglaugh:).
Welcome to Vmax Forum!:punk:

4 bolts take it off I had to get a pretty big head light to make it look right tho. Actually it looks pretty good with the fairing off with that light. I havent rode it much with the fairing but I did some testing & don't think it would be a good idea to go over over 105 with it. It really pushs around @ that speed which sux because I like to open it up here & there when I ride so I am sure I will take it off for all warm weather rides anyway. I am happy with it.

Back