What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This time it went fairly easy. I left a stoplight easily, then when almost through the intersection, I twisted her wide open. It was at the shift between 1-2 that it went. Shift light was glowing.
As I was coasting to a stop on the side of the road, I heard the unmistakable sound of the shaft flopping inside the swing arm.

I pushed it one block to a carwash. The owner was a biker. He rides a Busa and his girl is on a Yam 600R. He let me keep it under his detailing tent while I went and got my trailer and truck. He even gave me a bottle of water.Really a great guy. And I might now have another riding partner.
He was very impressed with a Vmax. He noticed all the little upgrade I have done. He kept commenting on my Marks exhaust, So I started it up for him. He was impressed with the sound. I explained that how I break shafts. I love hearing the sound of running hard.

Sean Morley has my order and will be sending new shaft. His customer service is TOP NOTCH!!!

sorry to hear that bro, but i'm glad it was that, cheapest thing to fix. i keep a spare on hand at all times.

Got my ram installed for my shifter now just need to hook the rest of it up. My PCW Clutch spring came in to so hopefully can put it in in the next day or so.

Attachments

• Cat  Morris Max 012.jpg
    Cat Morris Max 012.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 28
  • Cat  Morris Max 011.jpg
    Cat Morris Max 011.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 29
I showed them both a picture of one here locally that I'm going to look at. Threesomes can be good . :punk:

Attachments

• Group 3   5-28-12 589.jpg
    Group 3 5-28-12 589.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Group 3   5-28-12 301.jpg
    Group 3 5-28-12 301.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 38
Here's a list of things that I've finally done over the last 2 months!!

4-2 SlashCut Exhaust, Fork Brace, Drag Bars, Short signals front/rear *-All "UFO" USA quality!!-

With Samco Red Rad Hose kit, National Fly Windscreen, PIAA GT4 Headlamp and Kuryaken ISO Chrome Grips w/Stilleto Weighted Bar Ends.

She sounds as good as she looks. Maybe... Even better lol !! Picken' my baby up late next week!! And I'll post a pic (finally)..

Installed a Shoria LFX21L6-BS12 lithium iron battery. It's a 21 A/H. Install required very slight battery box mod, almost nothing. It's about 9 lbs. lighter than my old 16 ampre hour lead acid.

Stood there looking at [it] wondering where I could obtain an OEM luggage rack for the ol' yellow bird... Any takers:ummm: Or sellers?

Spent some time playing with the electrics on the '86..

Battery's good, charging is good, fuses are good, removed the rad switch wiring for now - thermostat works good, all ground connections good, RR good - old style but has its own earth wire straight to battery, fuel pump relay good, blinkers relay good, vboost controller bad - I knew that as it wasn't cycling, replaced with one from 2000 and it's fine.

All wiring I could get to looks good, there's just a dodgy solder repair under the fan fuse, isolated all good. Found that the TCI connectors are missing the nice clear plastic covers that usually protect them..

Gonna take it for a ride to see if it still plays up - on idle it's been fine all the way to the fan kicking in. Ah, the joys of intermittent probs..

My Saturday project. It takes awhile, but I can do it alone. I want it ready for Daytona next month. I think the stator cover looks like an angry pac-man.

Update, hours later: engine in, driveshaft/swingarm in (I find it easier to install the engine w/o it, don't really know if it's possible to do it w/o removing the swingarm), I think I am gonna call it a day & try to get to it tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 41
  • engine in no carbs-exhaust.JPG
    engine in no carbs-exhaust.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I would guess he snapped his driveshaft Baz... :biglaugh:

I didn't know you were a comedian! :rofl_200:

His response was interesting though. Not from a hard launch, but the 1-2 shift...
That double sucks. I thought that being careful taking off would be OK. I guess not.

Got tired of my all black motor & sanded the fins back down & installed an aluminum clutch & stator insert & took out the double DD clutch & went back to my beloved PCW spring.

Attachments

• K&N filters 002.jpg
    K&N filters 002.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 41
Last year I bought one of those new in the box sissy bars. It was new in a sealed Yamaha box. Yesterday I installed it. The only problem was the machining was incomplete for the reflector. The left side was a 1/16 th lower than the right. Expensive lesson. I put my old oxidized set up back on. Drained my tank and carbs. Fresh gas and techron. Fired right up. That 21 a/hr lithium battery really cranks. All ready to meet Vmaxrookie and 65Fury sat. And go for a ride.

Took my VMAX out to my buddies to put in progressive lowering springs did the 1" right now buddy and I installed them with the help of Sean Morleys video. Came home and installed a new clutch cause my buddy wanted to ride today. Taking a trip up the hill Saturday with a few couples and looks like Rand-5107 wants to run up there with us..Get to check out 65fury's maxgasser seat also 3 VMAX's, 1 V-ROD, and 1 honda VTX 1800.. Don't care what you bike you own its all about the ride, good friends, good times, and a good lunch..

Latest posts

Back