What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Designed to be snug on the outside diameter of the speedo, then i added 2 small set screws just in case! Painting it for now, but my friends going to get it annodized black for me. I will post up some pics of the final assembly when its done.
Very nice Bob !!!

I like it Bob, can't wait to see it in person!
I found a tight fitting round grommet that fits around the square end of one of those. I have to figure where I'm going to mount it but for now looking at the near the ignition. I'll cut a square hole a little bigger than the USB square end then enlarge it until I can just squeeze the grommet in-between the two. That should hold it in place well enough to insert/ remove the USB cable.
I will connect my 4' coiled Griffen cable to my iP5 mounted on the RH hand control with this RAM mount. My iP5 is in a Lifeproof waterproof case and will be secured in this RAM mount.

Ah I misunderstood then - I thought you meant you had a some fab'd up part designed specifically for the gen-1 max like lawman's custom cut plastic cover above. I saw those when I was looking around but didn't want another thing on the handlebars, especially since I wasn't planning on mounting the phone to the bars at all.

This is the thing I just installed. http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/dual-usb-auxilary-socket-for-motorcycles/part/BBP-52-820

I didn't want to use the pigtail adapters because I didn't want it mainlined right off the battery. I spliced it into a keyed pair of wires. Then buried it behind the frame as pictured there and ziptied it on.

Designed to be snug on the outside diameter of the speedo, then i added 2 small set screws just in case! Painting it for now, but my friends going to get it annodized black for me. I will post up some pics of the final assembly when its done.

Don't rely on snug... I asked because i saw no provisions for those set screws unless its on top by the gauges. In order not to blemish the speedo housing you could have made it as a clamp with a single allen bolt to tighten it around the speedo something like pic below. Looks good...

muxs9l.jpg

My extension for my speedometer cable came in today so I installed it.
Then with some snow and ice left of the road went for a 25* ride to make sure everything is working up to snuff.

With having to get used to reading Kph vs. Mph everything is just fine. So far I couldn't be happier with the speedo, the price was right, installation a breeze (minus having to sit at the bench and figure out what wire goes where, but it's all documented now).

School will be over in 10 days, so after the rest of finals I'll be installing the fuel sensor (Thanks for the write up Fargo) and everything will be done.

Last edited:
Don't rely on snug... I asked because i saw no provisions for those set screws unless its on top by the gauges. In order not to blemish the speedo housing you could have made it as a clamp with a single allen bolt to tighten it around the speedo something like pic below. Looks good...

muxs9l.jpg
Good point Fred! I'm going to see how this works, and if it fails then I will redesign with a similar clamping mechanism as you have shown. I wanted to keep the "hoop" as slim as possible, that's why I took a shot at the slip fit.

Today I replaced all the exhaust gaskets, sanded and painted the headers and handle bars then reinstalled the entire exhaust system. I also sanded and painted the radiator and fan and replaced the hoses. Next will be front wheel bearings and new brake pads then on to rebuilding the front forks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 20
Here are a couple of Pictures from Saturday 4-27 with my 2000 and Bill Seward's 1985 VMax.

Attachments

• Colden_4-27_Bill-Dennis.jpg
    Colden_4-27_Bill-Dennis.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 49
  • Colden_4-27-VMaxes.jpg
    Colden_4-27-VMaxes.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 43
Been a few months since I sent my paperwork off to the patent office. They're slow as hell over there. Talked with a couple of guys up at the university computer department about a project I want to pull off.

• It is a digital nitrous controller. It will act as your typical controller, but will have a few added features.
  • It will take a feed from the tach, so it may activate the built-in window switch. Too low or too high of RPM, no nitrous.
  • A/F monitoring. If something goes sideways with the fuel/nitrous the system will shut down.
  • Multiple setup storage.
  • Stand alone unit or can be programmed with a laptop, tablet or smartphone.
  • Printing capability to save a hard copy of the setups.

I have a detailed plan of how I want it to work, They're going to help me assemble it and program it. I was thinking of a few different ways for the programming, but they said there is a lot of ways of doing it, just have to figure out what would be best. I'm brain dead when it comes to electronics, it takes me longer to go from A to B than normal electronic folks, but we'll see what happens.

Here is what I'm shooting for as far as looks.

2014controller.jpg

Hey, got one of the kids working for me at the day job that is going through computer programming class. might be a good project for him. I have a computer programming degree but it's been too long since I used it.

Sean

KJ. I like your frame brace. Would you tell me where I could pick a set up? Thanks. PS, everybody knows that the red bikes are the fastest.

Latest posts

Back