What do you guys think of running different brand tires front and rear?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2stangs69-91

Reaction score
I know this probably belongs in the tire section...oops. I really like the shinko rear but I am not that fond of the front. I try to keep the tires matched because of rubber compound. I hit the corners pretty hard for a vmax(lol I think so anyhow maybe I am slow) so I don't want any surprises. I was looking at a Perrelli front maybe.

I have a Dunlop front tire and a Pirelli Route rear.......

Doesn't seem to hurt......

But I am kind of a sissy in the corners:confused2:

I have a Dunlop front tire and a Pirelli Route rear.......

Doesn't seem to hurt......

But I am kind of a sissy in the corners:confused2:

Same hear on corners .
Have an IRC up front and a Bridgey on the ass , gonna try a 170 Shinko on the rear next . Not that fused with the front its ok but the Bridgestone was better .

Its makes no diffrence.
I use to tun Michelin Pilot on the rear and Dunlop Sportmax at the front.
Only reason why i've changed that dunlop was that i dont like dunlop
and i like michelin. Also i've bought kawi front wheel already equiped with that dunlop. DOT for this dunlop was 2007 so preatty old.

Some peopels says that it not recomended to run with bias and radials mixed.
Hmmm, i've tried that mix and also it didnt make any difrence to me.

+1 makes no difference running different brands of bias-plys or radials.
as for mixing a bias-ply with a radial, bad things tend to happen on cars if you run one side bias and the other radial on the same axle. not too sure what might happen on a bike from personal exp. I've never done it.

Some people say this is due to the different handling characteristics of each tyre ie a radial gives no notice and breaks away , a bias screams a lot and then lets go. Get them in the wet and the bias just let go not what you want on the rear when the front is gripping.

KJ.......what happens if you mix radial and bias ply tires???

I have never had it properly explained to me......and I don't know what is truth and what is myth:confused2:

EDIT: Never mind......I think you just did......

Man I type slow...

IT WOULDN'T MATTER , BRANDS / RADIAL / BIAS / UNMATCHED , ON MY MAX , MOST OF THE TIME THE FRONT TIRE IS IN THE AIR ! ...:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Copied and pasted!

Front and Rear Tire Matching
Correct matching of front and rear tires is important for peak performance and handling. Mating a new tire with a worn tire is never a good idea. It is best to follow the Tire Selection guidelines provided by the manufacturers and change out both tires at the same time if possible. A new front tire with a worn rear tire can cause instability.

Also, make sure that the tires are mounted in accordance with the directional arrows. There are two main reasons for directional arrows. The first of these is that some motorcycle tires now have tread patterns that are designed for a specific rotation for optimum performance, particularly on wet roads. Directional arrows indicate the proper directional rotation.
Secondly, running a tire will set up a wear pattern and it might not roll smoothly if reversed. Use the directional arrow to re-fit a tire in its original direction.

Off-Road - It isn't as important in dirt to have matching tire sets. Plenty of riders even swap brands between front and rear based on their personal preferences. When it comes to wear, if you can afford a complete set at every change then go for it, but a front tire will generally last as long as two rears. Again, look at the wear markers and always err on the side of safety. Most off-road tires are not directional and can even be reversed to stretch additional life out of them. But, there are some, especially soft-terrain and dual-sport meats, that can have a specific rotational tread pattern. Always make sure to pay attention to any arrows or markers on the sidewall and obey them.
Tires have a lot of technology in their construction these days. Different compounds and tread patterns create the ultimate blend of performance and longevity. But, mixing radial and bias is a no-no in most circumstances.

Don't Mix and Match Bias and Radial Tires
Bias and radial tires have significantly different dynamic properties. Bias. bias belted and radial tires have different construction types and therefore have different abilities to carry side and peripheral forces as well as having varied damping characteristics. The introduction of radial tires required changes to certain characteristics of the motorcycle. The development of the radial tire led to frame modifications, new steering geometries and suspensions. That's why it is recommended that a motorcycle be used with the type of tire construction that it came with originally. Do not mix bias ply and radial tires on the same motorcycle unless it has the approval of the motorcycle or tire manufacturer.

Tread Pattern and Compound
Tread pattern is the outer part of the tire and in contact with the road. The profile of a tire and the rubber compound chosen is based on the use of the tire. Generally, street motorcycle tires with a harder rubber compound get better gas mileage but don't stick to the road as well. The softer the rubber compound, the grippier a tire is, at the sacrifice of gas mileage.

Tread has everything to do with the circumstances you'll be driving in most. A treadless racing slick will stick to the road like glue but is useless in the rain. Tread is needed for traction in wet conditions. That's why off-road tires have a very high tread. It enables them to maintain traction in the mud and deal with the adverse geography of off-road riding.

Tread builds up heat within a tire and reduces its effectiveness. An all-round tire has a light tread with a medium-hard compound base. This arrangement allows it to travel many miles without breaking down fast and provides stability in varying conditions.

thanks for the paste but that realy doesn't help to much . What about 2 different brand V rated sport touring tires? lol oh well. BTW your bike is not designed for radials like the above post mentioned did you notice or change anyhting over just to run radials ? btw I posted it were I did because it might be a safty issue and I wanted more eyes viewing it thanks.

Valentino Rossi might notice a difference but the average Joe sixpack like me wouldn't.

I have different brands front and rear. The advantage of running the same brand and make tire would be the tread patters work together to channel water. That being said, the Max will still get squirrely in the rain if your not careful.

I've had my Vmax for years and gone through different tyres and the end result was always the same, corners, roundabouts were always a fight as the Vmax didn't want to turn.
I have recently changed the tyres and sticking with standard sizes, I have an Avon Venom X on the back, and an Avon Roadrider on the front.
WOW the handling has been transformed. The front end is no longer 'locked' in the straight ahead position. I can negotiate roundabouts and bends with greater precision and ease. The bike seems to flow through bends like never before.
Its not a case of getting used to the bike or riding. I am an instructor and ride lots, teaching students to ride.
I will always fit this combination in future.
Regards
Bill

Valentino Rossi might notice a difference but the average Joe sixpack like me wouldn't.

Agreed!

I have different brands front and rear. The advantage of running the same brand and make tire would be the tread patters work together to channel water. That being said, the Max will still get squirrely in the rain if your not careful.

Agreed!

Bias and radial tires have significantly different dynamic properties. They deflect differently, create different cornering forces, have different damping characteristics, as well as other differences. In order for radial tires to be introduced into the two-wheel market, it was necessary to change certain characteristics of the motorcycle. The introduction of the radial tire led to such things as modified frames, new steering geometries and suspensions. Therefore, it is recommended that a motorcycle be used with the type of tire construction that it came with originally. If a change is to be made, then it should only be done if the motorcycle or tire manufacturer has approved the change. Above all, do not mix bias ply and radial tires on the same motorcycle unless it is with the approval of the motorcycle or tire manufacturer.

RR

It's a curse. I'm too anal to run different brands, front and rear. It would bug me each time I looked at the bike. :confused2:
+1 Guess I'm anal too , but when I first started listening to the older vmax riders who had tried all the combos , they had several things in common. Fork springs upgrade , rear shocks upgrade , frame / swingarm stiffen , and switch to radials. I did all those and it is a completely better handling scoot. Not newer sport bike territory , but a lot safer and consistent in the turns. 17 " michelin pilot power tires give confidence and it feels quicker as well.

I am not putting 2000 onto my bike for rims and tires lol. It handles well enough as it is. If I did that I would just buy a different bike.

The following quote is from the Dunlop rep when I emailed questions about fitting two different Dunlops to my Max. I went ahead and did it anyway because of the sizes weren't available any other way.

"It is always best to match, exactly, tire brand, model and tread pattern whenever possible. Correct matching of front and rear tires is important to obtain optimum performance and handling. Mixing radial tires, or radials with non-radials, may adversely affect handling and stability. That being said, we do NOT recommend using the D205 and D220 on the same vehicle at the same time."

The following quote is from the Dunlop rep when I emailed questions about fitting two different Dunlops to my Max. I went ahead and did it anyway because of the sizes weren't available any other way.

"It is always best to match, exactly, tire brand, model and tread pattern whenever possible. Correct matching of front and rear tires is important to obtain optimum performance and handling. Mixing radial tires, or radials with non-radials, may adversely affect handling and stability. That being said, we do NOT recommend using the D205 and D220 on the same vehicle at the same time."

Holy smokes, those are some old tires! I'm finishing my last set of 220's on one of my bikes right now. Then it's going to be the Roadsmarts for long highway use.

Every manufacturer is going to say the same thing because of liability and sales.

Back