what is the best exhaust sys. for v max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the UFO 4-2 slashcut mufflers (if you can call them mufflers). I like the sound (very loud), Most of the Houston Vmax group does not want to ride behind me for very long. I think they are one of the better looking pipes for the Vmax.
Rhoy

The hindle 4-1 - big tube, over under - did they make different versions of this exhaust?
I want to know which one I have.

Measure the collector right where all the pipes join. The big tube version is 2.5" outlet. The over/under system was replaced many years ago for a side by side system. You can recognize the type by how the pipes come together at the front of the bike. The side by side has more ground clearance.

Sean

Are you doing the tests with different jet kits also, and when will you start posting the numbers on the systems that have been tested?

mine would have to be the big tube. It was pretty large :) I know mine is the over under, I just wasn't sure if they made different versions of the over under. Thanks for the info!

It felt like my v boost came on at 4000 rpm when I put my Marks system on.

It really improved the "snap" and feels a lot stronger at 3500 rpm to 5000 rpm.

Right now testing with the stage seven (and modified stage seven with raised filters). Then on to our kit.

Sean

which oiling system are you using for the testing? i assume it doesn't matter, but yours or stage 7? does it do the same thing?

Do all of the full 4-2 systems mentioned in this thread have crossover pipes for both the front and rear cylinders? I guess if the crossover pipe is placed after the point where the pipes connect on either side, it would accomplish the same thing? I currently have Supertrapp slip-ons and really dig the sound. I know those do not have the crossover pipe for the rear cylinders, is this what makes it have the "small block" sound, or will it sound the same regardless of the crossover pipes?

most systems do not have a crossover pipe.

Our Muscle jet kit is similar to stage seven except the filter setup. Stock oiling system. I believe the bike is a 92.

Sean

Sean, I think I had seen in another thread that you can get Over Racing items. Have you ever quoted a set of 4-2 headers from them to see how much it would be? I really like the higher exit look, and would be interested to see how much a set would cost.

If I remember right they only sell outright to individuals but I can try and see what I can find out. They are horribly expensive but from the rare occasion I have seen one they make nice stuff. I think the cheapest set is $1600 and up though I do think they may include free shipping with it.

Sean

Yea, when I was on their site, the complete exhaust was almost $2.5K. I was hoping most of the expense was in the carbon canisters, and the headers themselves wouldn't be too expensive. $1600 would be way too much.

In a previous post, I was talking about the crossover pipe on header sets. I remember seeing a set of Mark's exhaust on here as well as ebay and did notice that there was a crossover pipe in place of the box where the factory rear cylinders dumped into, (not sure if he gives you the choice to have the crossover pipe or if he just makes them that way). This is after both the front and rear pipes merge, so I guess this would do the same thing as having the crossover pipe for the front cylinders and box for the rear cylinders to dump into on the factory exhaust?

I have also found, at least from asking, that the full 4-2 HMF system does not have a crossover pipe. From listening to the two different exhaust on youtube, it sounds like the HMF exhaust retains more of the open end cap supertrapp slip-on sound, where as Mark's didn't seem to sound quite the same. Although I know my laptop speakers can't do either of them justice. Do you think the lack of the crossover pipe is what makes the HMF exhaust sound more similar to the Supertrapp slip-on sound? Is there a performance advantage to equalizing the exhaust pulses from the left and right sides of the motor?

They pretty much all work well and we are in the process of testing different headers on the same bike to try and determine which one if any are the best. I would like to find some others to test out if anyone is willing to loan out their system for a little bit.

Currently we are testing:

UFO Dragstar 4-1,
UFO 4-2,
Hindle Over/Under Big Tube 4-1 (2.5" outlet),
Kerker 4-2-1 with Carbon Fiber Muffler (Need to get a comp muffler and test too).

Others I would like to try:
Marks (both 4-1 and 4-2)
Holeshot
Newer Hindle (side by side)
HMF
Others??

Sean,

Is this test still ongoing or did I miss the final results ? :ummm:

The customer doing the test got hung up a bit and ran out of work so his funds were limited. He could not complete the testing. I am just going to have to break down and do this on my own dyno when I get some time.

Sean

I would agree with those who said Mark's, They are not only a great sounding exhaust but he stands behind his products.

For example I installed mine on the outside of the foot peg bracket because I didn't know they went on the inside of the bracket. In doing so I may have bent the tabs and when I tried to put them on the inside I couldn't get them to fit. I tried to bend the tabs for hours and still couldn't get them to fit because the tabs were not in the same shape as they should have been.

I talked to Mark to see what he suggested and he said, I'll just send you 2 new mufflers so that way you can start with the tabs being at the correct angle, I aksed if he wanted me to ship him back the older mufflers and he said" it really doesn't matter"

Now keep in mind I bought this system last fall, so it has been 7-8 months and he just sent me out 2 new mufflers yesterday at no charge !!!.

If there is a better place that has better customer service I have not seen them. Once again the sound is very good in my opinion, listen for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEj-2u4nnfw

Ron

The customer doing the test got hung up a bit and ran out of work so his funds were limited. He could not complete the testing. I am just going to have to break down and do this on my own dyno when I get some time.

Sean

Sean, do you have your own dyno? Also, as I told you I plan to take a road trip down to you and have you install your jet kit for me. While I am down there if you want to take my Mark's 4 into 2 with 14 " cans off and test them you are welcome to.. If you are interested using mine for testing you can email me and we can discuss it

Ron

Back