What is the method to properly torque ring and head nut.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next time use red permatex.

I'm pretty sure he has....and it's obviously still leaking. Which mirrors my experience with RTV and oil seals....it doesn't work.

Tried it several times on various motors. It seals for a few weeks then the oil breaks it down and starts to leak.
The black "oil resistant" stuff is better but I've still found it leaks after a while. Notice it says "resistant", not "proof" or "impervious".

I tried the "Right Stuff" 1-minute gasket as well, and was equally disappointed. That leaked almost immediately.

Threebond 1194 is where it's at, specifically made for sealing cases. Impervious to oil and seals instantly, no 24-hour cure times. Apply, wait at least 1 minute, then assemble and torque.

Last edited:
Below is a link to a thread that shows the wrench that Yamaha calls out to do this with. I sell these much less than Yamaha wants for the official tool.

If you need it, I will also email pages from the service manual that detail the procedure. The pages detailing that procedure are attached below also. This is from the 1995 service manual.

This is not the only way to do this, but it is the recommended way, per your question.

Gary

Attachments

• combined small.jpg
    combined small.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Steering nut torque Pages from VMX12-Service-Manual.pdf
    285.2 KB · Views: 11
Threebond 1198 is where it's at, specifically made for sealing cases. Impervious to oil and seals instantly, no 24-hour cure times. Apply, wait at least 1 minute, then assemble and torque.

I went to the Three Bond website, and can't find "1198". Got a link to it anywhere?

Sorry, it's actually 1194....fixed.

Yamabond #4= Threebond 1194

3bond makes it for Yamaha, but also sells the same stuff under their own label. The local dealer sold me a tube for $12, which I'm sure was a rip-off, but it comes in a pretty big tube, and it goes a long way.

Just wanted to post an update.

80ftlbs is accurate and will not cause binding if the castle nuts are torqued properly as well.
If the castle nuts are over torqued, the torque on the head nut will add some squish and cause binding.

I don't understand how the nut on top of the triples can have any effect at all on the steering bearings even if you were capable of torquing it to 1000 ft/lbs?:ummm:

I don't understand how the nut on top of the triples can have any effect at all on the steering bearings even if you were capable of torquing it to 1000 ft/lbs?:ummm:

wouldn't it pull the stem up more thru the top triple?

wouldn't it pull the stem up more thru the top triple?

Design is 80 ft lbs so everything is 'happy' at that point. I s'pose if you went way beyond that it could theoretically mash the top triple and pull the stem up a couple tenths (.0001") but it's pretty unlikely that would happen.

i follow but the castelated nuts would keep from pull it too far, it would just become tighter against those huh

Yamabond is available at your local Yammie dealer. It is designed for use in an oily environment. Never had any leak issues with it.

While we're on the subject, I'm a firm believer that the factory torque process and settings are where your front end will handle it's very best.

IF you don't develop any wobbles.

Back