Wheelie poll: Who has brought the front end up?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you ever brought the front end up (wheelie) on a V-Max?

• Yes

Votes: 106 79.1%
  • No

Votes: 28 20.9%

• Total voters
Every summer they have a bunch of 100 foot drag races around my area. Last year they had one about a quarter mile from my home, and I couldn't resist. My first pass I launched at too low an RPM, and my second one too high. That resulted in what has been referred to as "The 100 Foot Wheelie". It scared the hell out of everyone but me! I'm 6'5, 290 lbs, so spinning the tire isn't a problem for me. I don't imagine the VHT they were spraying hurt either!

I only have mine 2 weeks now, It sure felt like it was gonna come up unintentionally a few times. Man I sure love this machine !

I just brought the front end up on mine for the first time :D It was totally unintentional, but what a rush! I took a turn in town, straightened out and went WOT untill just below redline, shifted into 2nd and rolled onto it again, up she came... I have no clue how high, didn't feel very high, but I held it till it come down on it's own. :)

Now I'm hooked!!!

Last edited:
Yip shifting to 2nd. :eusa_dance: The first time was unintentional.

And my friends said that the V-Max was not able to pull a wheelie.

Man I love the mighty V-Max :punk:

Mine just tends to light up the tire- an Avon VenomX. I didn't even realize this until I was riding with some buddies, and went WOT up an on-ramp to the highway, leading the way of course. Went through 1st, 2nd, and I was redline in 3rd when I hit the highway, and then backed off. When we stopped later, one asked if I knew I had white smoke rolling off the tire the entire way up the ramp, a good 100 yards. I didn't even realize it. I have the Venture drive as well.

I don't think I've ever gotten the front end up. Never really tried either.

When you get a power wheelie in second, do you clutch into second or just bang into it? When I bang into second from near redline in first, about half the time it pops out of second after about a half second. My Magna did this too, so I'm thinking I must be doing something wrong.

if it's popping out then you need to either adjust the shifter or save up for future trans work (dogs on second gear)

Sean

I may have lifted the front involuntarily a few times in 1st, but wasn't really aware of it. With the Venture pumpkin and the Shinko tires, it just flies but doesn't really light light up the rear without the front break (unless it's wet then it spins all the time lol), or lift the front wheel under WOT power - I guess it would need some clutch action to do that.

To be honest I haven't really tried too hard as the law in FL can have you lose your license for up to 10 years (!!!) if either (!) wheel loses contact with the ground.. fukin' crazy if u ask me, but that's the result of squids doing 100mph wheelies and stoppies all over the public roads :bang head::damn angry:

CAN YOU RIDE A V-MAX AND NOT WHEELIE??? I play with mine plenty,I lean forward and light the tire...I lean back and stand it up in a wheelie.Its all in good fun.I stood mine up to about a 2 o'clock wheelie once but normally I dont go up that high.I hang that front end over the ground in the first 3 gears when racing my sport bike buddies even when layin on the tank.Most of my wheelies are for fun though and very intentional...guess I been hangin out with the sport bikes too much.Tried a wheelie while standing on the back pegs...made it REALLY easy,looked alot like this guy but havent had the guts to do it a 2nd time since the last.(This guy rocks by the way,anyone know him?)

Attachments

• 1222631650249.jpg
    1222631650249.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 39
I'm at high altitude so it will tank a clutch drop or a launch to get the wheel up. Did a few quick shifts into second today and a few mid gear punches and the front end stayed planted. altitude sucks...
I've only had the bike for a few days thuogh hehe

**edit** Nitrous fuel pump was broken when i got the bike so that may change the wheelie situation once fixed

Also, that rider on the back pegs is flirting with disaster in my opinion. He has no back brake coverage!

I'm at high altitude so it will tank a clutch drop or a launch to get the wheel up. Did a few quick shifts into second today and a few mid gear punches and the front end stayed planted. altitude sucks...

+1. Yup, altitude sucks indeed.

I might play with the shifter a bit...I adjusted it up a bit since my riding boots are kinda thick at the toe. I did that on the Magna as well, so maybe that's my issue...it isn't fully "clicking" on the 1-2 shift.

I can't imagine the dogs could be bad, the bike only has 15k miles, and the PO really babied/meticulously maintained it. Said he had never gone much past 80 on it. He sold it under that it was "just too much bike for how I ride"...wanted to get a sport-touring instead.

I noticed that on hard accelerations(moreso if it's uphill a little), the oil light comes on. Oil level is fine(just a tiny bubble at the top of the sight glass). That light trips when there's no oil pressure, right? I can't imagine doing that frequently is good for the motor, espically since when that happens the motor is at WOT under max load.

It measures oil level and not pressure. The sensor is at the front so when you accelerate hard the light comes on. Perfectly normal for that to happen.

Dale #2592

I found the more I wheelied the more I needed to adjust my steering head bearings; not sure if they were loosening or what but I just stopped doing them intentionally. I didn't inspect the bearings but will do that this winter and replace if they need to be replaced.
They are part of a long checklist I have planned for this winter, swingarm bearings will get inspected, packed with fresh grease and properly adjusted after it is painted.

usually you have to hammer the throttle smoke the tire heat it up 'let off' hammer it again and it will come up quite easy 'once tire is hot ! unless of course you have a girl on the back !then just roll on throttle at will and go as far as you want!!!!

I went out today and tried to do a cruiser wheelie, hoping to not kill myself or worse, damage my Max LOL.

Anyway, I tried rolling in first to about 6k, then hammered it. Instant burnout. Tried again, seems like the front got a little lighter but nothing. Once again got the same effect.

Then I tried the "shift into second", both power shifting, and then using the clutch. Depending on how hard I hit it in first, it would either continue the burnout into second, or if I rolled on a little slower it would hook up.

No matter what I tried, I just ended up with a burnout.

The closest I think I got was starting at 50mph in 5th gear, I dropped it to 3rd and pinned it. Another instant burnout but it quickly got very light in the front, maybe came up a tiny bit. But WOW did it boogie-woogie forward.

I'm not willing to try standing on the passenger pegs- to me that's just asking for problems if you can't cover the rear brake.

One of my riding friends who has motoGP racing experience says that baisically Avon tires are crap for performance bikes....too hard of a compound. He said to "poke" his Metzeler tires and then my Avon, and he's right, the Avon has a lot less "give" to my fingernail. The bike came with a new VenomX on the back, and a half worn Bridgestone Spitfire on the front.

What are all you running for tires?

Back