Wheelie poll: Who has brought the front end up?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you ever brought the front end up (wheelie) on a V-Max?

• Yes

Votes: 106 79.1%
  • No

Votes: 28 20.9%

• Total voters
The first time I hit second on my 09, the front came up on me. Scared the shirt out of me. I was used to riding my dad's Harley. The VMax is a completely different beast. And I love it. :)

hey joey, did u have a gen 1 prior to the gen2?

I'm surprised that some people haven't. Hitting that second gear shift in full-boogie pretty much always nets a little sky time. Like Sean mentioned I think it's more entertaining to know who's had to chop em off hard enough to slam the crap out of the front end (the trailing edge off my front fender has some radiator scuffs on it, sho nuff).

Either way, if your Max is running anywhere near right and you shift to second about 9k, it's either gonna smoke it or pop it.

I just realized that the rider in the pic I dug up and posted is riding a Max with slash cuts! So that Max comes up even with less than optimum pipes?

Brother I have Cobra slashers on mine, forward controls, my fat ass clocks 300#, and Max STILL picks me up.

I'm surprised that some people haven't. Hitting that second gear shift in full-boogie pretty much always nets a little sky time. Like Sean mentioned I think it's more entertaining to know who's had to chop em off hard enough to slam the crap out of the front end (the trailing edge off my front fender has some radiator scuffs on it, sho nuff).

Either way, if your Max is running anywhere near right and you shift to second about 9k, it's either gonna smoke it or pop it.

Yep, second gear at full-boogie will pretty much do it every time. Freaks me out when this happens leaning into a sweeper.:surprise:

I've done only a few wheelies on my '01. First time was unintential as I didn't let off the throttle enough between 2nd & 3rd & popped the clutch as well. Of course, I let off the throttle and slammed the front tire hard, but the seals survived. No way I would ever attempt to do anything like that with the wife on the back (like that would ever happen). If it did though, she'd wait 'til we get back home and then kick the shit outta me.

hey joey, did u have a gen 1 prior to the gen2?

Garret,

No, just the Gen 2. I had ridden a couple of my dad's bikes. 94(?) Kawasaki KLX 650 and his 06 Harley Street Bob. It was always on the back roads or the Natchez Trace. While I was in Afghanistan, I started looking at bikes. I was looking at a few of them... Harley VRod Muscle, Harley Rocker, Honda VTX 1800, and of course, the VMax. I was showing one of my Captains the bikes, and when I showed him the VMax, he said, "That looks like it should be in a Batman movie". That's when I made my choice.
I place the order having never laid eyes on a VMax before. And the first one I saw was mine with a 'Sold' sign with my name on it. Oh happy day. I think I made the right choice. :punk:

Garret,

No, just the Gen 2. I had ridden a couple of my dad's bikes. 94(?) Kawasaki KLX 650 and his 06 Harley Street Bob. It was always on the back roads or the Natchez Trace. While I was in Afghanistan, I started looking at bikes. I was looking at a few of them... Harley VRod Muscle, Harley Rocker, Honda VTX 1800, and of course, the VMax. I was showing one of my Captains the bikes, and when I showed him the VMax, he said, "That looks like it should be in a Batman movie". That's when I made my choice.
I place the order having never laid eyes on a VMax before. And the first one I saw was mine with a 'Sold' sign with my name on it. Oh happy day. I think I made the right choice. :punk:

awesome man! i thought u had a gen 1 previously for some reason

ready for the newbie dumb ass question? Only had vmax a week so do not laugh. How do you guys get the front up? I have gave mine the throttle a little but do not see how the front end would come up much? It did a little when I pulled from a light yesterday but never come up in second - what revs you guys changing at?

Wheelies are more frequent now that I am running Metzeler 880's. The stock tires use to just spin. The 880's hook up and away we go!

def depends on your tires, shinkos and metz seem to be pretty damn sticky.... doesn't really matter as long as ur in the powerband.. for me at least... its not like i'm sport bike wheelying but it def comes up..

i've also noticed that i think the front edn just gets light or something but people say the front wheel is in the air. when i think its and inch or two, its usually 6"

ready for the newbie dumb ass question? Only had vmax a week so do not laugh. How do you guys get the front up? I have gave mine the throttle a little but do not see how the front end would come up much? It did a little when I pulled from a light yesterday but never come up in second - what revs you guys changing at?

cruise in first till around 5 or 6K rpm then give the throttle a QUICK snap open. It should jump right up if you him the rpms correctly. Hit hard enough and it will stay up for awhile.

Passenger help, a hill will help, pipes and a jet kit will help too:biglaugh::biglaugh:

What do you call those front wheel stands? Stoppies, or something?

I've had a couple of those unintended over the years too. WOT from a stop light only to have somebody back out of a parking space 1/2 block down the street, then hard braking. Oh crap. Thank you mother Yamaha for giving good brakes to my Max.

I also did a stoppie while rat racing one time. The guy in the cager waited til I looked right at an intersection before he stomped on his brakes. I actually put my left foot down on the bricks to assist in the emergency stop and lost part of the sole from that shoe. The wife nearly flew over my back because the maneuver caught her not holding on tightly enough. (oh, to be that young and bullet proof again)

I don't advise trying to get either tire off the ground on purpose. I don't necessarily live by my own advice though.

Riding on a flat surface with no passenger mine doesn't come up shifting to second. If I have it WOT in first when it hits vboost it will come up but I haven't had it come up starting second no matter how hard I was on it in first though it does get a little light.

Riding on a flat surface with no passenger mine doesn't come up shifting to second. If I have it WOT in first when it hits vboost it will come up but I haven't had it come up starting second no matter how hard I was on it in first though it does get a little light.

Same. I can only bring it up if the tire hooks and I get a good launch in 1st.

OK,
I had to chime in here for the 12 percent in the no category.

Its a V-MAX!,!!

Plant your weight back, throttle up till its about to come on the power in 1st,, AND CRACK the throttle WO.

Power shifts and launches count.

All others should have their membership to the club revoked immediately

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Word

Latest posts

Back