wheelies in 1st gear?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozy

Reaction score
My max won't pull the front tire up in 1st gear unless I rev it up a bit and drop the clutch on it. Just cranking on it in 1st won't do it.
My bike is bone stock. Is this normal or could my bike be out of tune?
I wanted to run it on a dyno and think I may do that tomorrow night just to see where I'm at.

My max won't pull the front tire up in 1st gear unless I rev it up a bit and drop the clutch on it. Just cranking on it in 1st won't do it.
My bike is bone stock. Is this normal or could my bike be out of tune?
I wanted to run it on a dyno and think I may do that tomorrow night just to see where I'm at.

You might want to sync your carbs (it's a good thing to do anyway) but you can also make a few changes to help get the front wheel up. Check your tire pressure, the lower the pressure the more grip you will have. I'd bet almost anything you are spinning the rear and don't even realize it. You can also check your rear shock settings. I would put it on 4 (I think that is the stiffest setting). Another big difference is body position, the farther back you are, the easier it is to come up.... mine would come up in 3rd with a passenger on the back.

The other trick to do is to make sure your tire is warm, pressure around 20 psi, then get the up to 4 or 5k rpm let off (this lets the front forks compress) and wack it to wide open throttle and the forks will help push the bike up to the sky. Keep you foot on the brake and have fun!

Another thing that really helped my bike wake up was to add Morley's carb kit and a full exhaust. That extra 10-12 hp makes a huge difference!

Be safe!

Is there any way to tell if my carbs are out of synch without going through the whole process of synching them again?
And the rear shock.....does it make a difference what the other adjustment on the shock is set to? I know about the adjustment you're talking about but I'm not sure about the other one on the bottom of the shock.

And I plan to add a UFO Dragster exhaust and Morley's kit once I get the money.....those mods together are quite costly. Well, not so much the Morley kit but the exhaust.

mine in the cooler weather would stand the sucker straight up with just gas at 6000 rpm then crack it open....then warner weather came in and clutch had to be used....also my tire preasure was lower in the cooler weather

Is there any way to tell if my carbs are out of synch without going through the whole process of synching them again?
And the rear shock.....does it make a difference what the other adjustment on the shock is set to? I know about the adjustment you're talking about but I'm not sure about the other one on the bottom of the shock.

And I plan to add a UFO Dragster exhaust and Morley's kit once I get the money.....those mods together are quite costly. Well, not so much the Morley kit but the exhaust.

Save yourself the money and just cut your mufflers OFF! That's all the damn Dragster sounds like anyway. Open headers! :shot:

Get the Kerker 4-1 and Morleys kit from Morley and you won't be disappointed.

With his kit and my Holeshot 4-2 I pulled 124.

Okay, this thread reeled me in, as I love wheelies. I just removed the 128 main in my Honda thumper and installed a 122. 2nd gear throttle only, give it a healthy tug, and ride out 2nd in a wheelstand.... fun stuff....

My old 80g XS1100 would bounce the tire up about 3 or 4 inches in 1st with just a throttle crack.

My Max? No way. Granted, I have a crappy rear tire. (and I have some electrical problem right now) But when I solve the electrical problems and get new tires, I hope it will do something besides break free and smoke the tire.

I hear of all you guys and your wheelies, but could we qualify this a bit and have you "wheelie poppers" post "stock" or "non-stock" and also your elevation besides your wheelie comments?

I want to know if any VMaxes will wheelie at any elevations over 5,000 feet.

With my old Max and having it lowered it was a chore. I tell ya though riding one out with forward controls puts hair on your sack. :D

Since lowering mine and tightening it up it tends to spin well before lifting but it WILL lift the tire on the right pavement. I'm a fat ass so it takes a lot more to get it done.

Same here...I'm great at rolling burnouts. lol If I'm on black top i need to be careful or I get pooh-pooh in the pants.

Stock wheelies nicely on powershifts to second. Have to use the "bounce" method for those. Header and jet kitted bikes are much easier to do it on. The tire will make all the difference. Old tires just light up.

The hardest bike I have had to get up (vmax wise) was Kevins. It's 2" lower all around with 3" extended swingarm. It just wants to light up the tire. I did get it up with a slick on it once.

Sean

The real trick is shifting gears in the air. You've got to really get it up to give you time to get it into the next gear. Once it's on the way down there isn't enough power to bring it back up.

Sean

Same here...I'm great at rolling burnouts. lol If I'm on black top i need to be careful or I get pooh-pooh in the pants.

I'm no good at ANY kind of burnout! Darn bike just snaps around sideways and I have to let off before it goes down! Prolly just my poor technique.

Mark-a little Seafoam, that pooh-pooh'll come right out, hardly even leaves a stain! :rofl_200:

The hardest bike I have had to get up (vmax wise) was Kevins. It's 2" lower all around with 3" extended swingarm. It just wants to light up the tire. I did get it up with a slick on it once.

Sean

This just confirms my need for a 3" over swingarm, mine lifts off in the first 3 gears, assuming that I don't do a loooooooong rolling burnout (which does have its coolness factor too). With the new front end I am lowered ~2in up front and 1in in the back.... now to stretch it out.:biglaugh:

your tire is probably spinning. Just heat it up the tire a bit. When mine was stock it would do it. but I am not little I have heard that helps. Now it does it prety easy in first and you have to watch shiting into second under full throttle it llikes to climb up there also.

Save yourself the money and just cut your mufflers OFF! That's all the damn Dragster sounds like anyway. Open headers! :shot:

Get the Kerker 4-1 and Morleys kit from Morley and you won't be disappointed.

With his kit and my Holeshot 4-2 I pulled 124.

yeah.....but I've always been a fan of super-loud. That's why I'm wanting to go with their setup.
Unless someone can offer another system that has the loud ass top fuel dragster sound that UFO's pipe does, I think I'll be sticking with UFO. I've heard lots of bad crap about them, but the sound is what I crave.

I just can't wait to become a member of the 120+ club. I have a feeling that mine is barely cracking 100 as it is.
Does anyone have the Dragster exhaust with proof of an increase in HP in the area of 120?
I'd be curious to see 2 bikes side by side set up identically except one with UFO's exhaust and one with Mark's, Holeshot, etc. and see what difference there is in HP and torque.

I just can't wait to become a member of the 120+ club. I have a feeling that mine is barely cracking 100 as it is.

Don't be mad if you don't. I have seen people put their bikes on a dyno thinking they were going to make X amount of power and it was considerably less so... Talk about :damn angry:.

You will get loud with his system but to me and many others there it left us wanting more. Cops will LOVE you though... :eusa_dance:

The Kerker with comp baffle is stupid loud but sounds good too.:worthy:

Latest posts

Back