Whistling sound during acceleration

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decter

Reaction score
Hello all,

Noticed a whistling sounds during mild acceleration, aggressive acceleration I cant hear it over the purr of the engine, on the bike. As soon as I let off the throttle/pull in the clutch it goes away. Also, noticed if it is in neutral and I hit the throttle I don't hear it.

Any ideas?

Nick

Seems fairly steady, I will try to get an RPM range of when it starts and stop/if it changes tomorrow morning on the way in to work.

Doesn't seem to change though. Pretty consistent throughout.

I get the same thing. Mine does it between 2500 and 3500 RPM and seems to go away after that. Almost sounds like the water pump whirling, but I am not sure. The whistle will stop getting off the throttle at all. Happens in the same RPM range for all gears. Only on acceleration do I hear it. Any suggestions as to what it is appreciated.

do you have a windshield on the bike or extra fairing. how about your helmet?

What condition is your air cleaner in? Good seal around it both top and bottom?

Hello all,

Noticed a whistling sounds during mild acceleration, aggressive acceleration I cant hear it over the purr of the engine, on the bike. As soon as I let off the throttle/pull in the clutch it goes away. Also, noticed if it is in neutral and I hit the throttle I don't hear it.

Any ideas?
Nick

Would it be coming from the final drive?
Seems to me that several members (maybe Spec Ops?) had this problem, turned out to be a loose nut on the input shaft.
Right now, gotta take my cats to the Vets for service checks, I'll do a search asap.
Cheers!

My 09 has 4x big K&N's right there under the faux scoop. I know for a fact that they make a deep sound upon acceleration (I like's it too), but on the center stand, with no load, those same K&N's do not make a peep no matter how much throttle is applied and which gear the bike is in.

I'm thinking if the air filter is partially plugged, or if some of it's weather stripping is beginning to deteriorate...................

Hello all,

Any ideas?
Nick

Would it be coming from the final drive?
Seems to me that several members (maybe Spec Ops?) had this problem, turned out to be a loose nut on the input shaft.
Right now, gotta take my cats to the Vets for service checks, I'll do a search asap.
Cheers!
...change their oil, rotate the paws, add a little kitty seafoam??:biglaugh:

...change their oil, rotate the paws, add a little kitty seafoam??:biglaugh:
Yup, the usual stuff. Still cost me over $500.00 before I walked out the door.
And get this, Brian - the male cat (Eric) has been digging at his hind quarters so much, that he has lost most of his fur. The Vet claimed that was a sign of "OCD, probably initiated by stress". She asked me what could be causing this, I replied "living with three females" - which turned out to a wrong choice of words.
Anyway, the cat is now on PROZAC. She claims this should "mellow him out"

Methinks that I'll be dipping into the cats meds, once the Visa bill shows up.
Cheers!

Mr. Decter
Put "noise" and "final drive" into the search engine, and you will come up with 17 threads on the subject, many mentioning the nut that backs off, in the drive. Not a big job at all to access this nut, IF the noise you hearing is coming from that area. Spec Ops 13 did his. You might want to Personal Message him, in case he doesn't read this thread.
Cheers!

Does the Max have straight cut gears between the crankshaft and the clutch? That could whine a bit, mine does it too - never paid much attention to it, as if it was going to fail, it sure would have by now!

Have had this all the time. Quite normal for this engine.

That's what I was thinking. Had a 2000 Max back then, but I don't remember how it sounded. This one has a Kerker and the whine or whistle is present in the same RPM range in all gears. I think it is probably normal.

Doesn't hurt to check if anyone has this or if it a potential problem.

Can you do video of the sound you here. The sound you here may be the cams chains you here.

I dont know how I could given that it only happens when I am riding it.

If it is normal and just a new engine sound that I am not used to, ok. Just wanted to balance my inexperience with the forum's experience in hopes of avoiding a problem in the future.

Thanks all.

I used to here "whistling" at WOT when riding my Road King. :whistlin:

Turns out it was just me.....I do that often while I'm waiting for something. :biglaugh:

Back