Wonky Air Box inquiry

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypocycloid3

Reaction score
On the bottom of the airbox,.. does anybody else have trouble getting those four rubber/plastic intake 'grommets' to fit over all four of the corresponding carburetor tops?

I have 2 different air-boxes and on either one if the right side is seated even partially then the front and back on the kickstand side of the bike come up off the surface of the carbs and wont seal.

My latest rigged mod to try and compensate involves some 3 inch 'sleeves' I cut from a inner tube of a slightly smaller diameter that I have stretched over each grommet (the OEM parts list calls this part a JOINT AIR CLEANER) .... in effort to kind of extend the seal downward. (hose clamps are on the outside of the sleeves) It seems to work okay but it just bugs me that things don't line up and never have on my '94. The Carbs have never been removed or split to the best of my knowledge so they should be mounted correctly

They get hard when they get old, (don't ya wish?) . Replacing them or softening them is necessary. I use wd-40 to help slide them over the carbs. You don't want leaks. I put mine in my ultrasonic cleaner and they softened up from the hot water Simple Green solution.

I went for many years without buying new boots and then had a much newer bike come in the shop and I didn't realize how big the difference was between new boots (or almost new) and the boots after a few years sitting on the carbs. Now, I keep new ones in stock so I don't have to fight to get them on and sealed.

+1.....get new boots...well worth the money in reduced frustration.

I went for many years without buying new boots and then had a much newer bike come in the shop and I didn't realize how big the difference was between new boots (or almost new) and the boots after a few years sitting on the carbs. Now, I keep new ones in stock so I don't have to fight to get them on and sealed.
+1, I replaced mine with some nice used ones and man what a difference in installing the carbs. I'll never put up with boots that are old and hardened up again, not worth it!

One big problem is not getting the crankcase vent on first. If it is not slotted into the back of the bottom of the airbox first and will be a pita.

Back