What my Idle should be?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
1997 Vmax
Only mod = Full Hindle.

What should my idle be? Right now it's well under 1000 - but it doesn't die on me - but I have a feeling it should be around 1000.

I have no owners manual yet
(working on getting one)
________
growing marijuana

Last edited:
I JUST WENT OUT TO MY TRAILER & TOOK OFF MY AIR BOX / FAKE GAS TANK COVER & ON THE UNDER SIDE OF IT THERES A STICKER JUST LIKE UNDER THE HOOD OF A CAR WITH SOME SPECS. ON IT , IT SAYS " IDLE SPEED 1100 RPM'S AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE ! I GUESS I'M WRIGHT ON THE MONEY !...:punk: DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS STICKER UNDER THEIRS ?:confused2:

KNEEL DOWN ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE BIKE & IN BETWEEN THE CARBS. YOU WILL SEE I ROUND KNOB ABOUT THE SIZE OF A NICKEL WITH BUMPS/TEETH ON IT . YOU CAN'T MISS IT ! LET THE BIKE RUN UNTIL THE FAN COMES ON + 5 MORE MINUTES AND THEN ADJUST THE IDLE , OR ONCE YOU KNOW WHERE THE KNOB IS , YOU CAN ADJUST IT WHEN YOUR OUT RIDING , WHEN YOU COME TO A STOP !...:punk::punk:

1997 Vmax
Only mod = Full Hindle.

What should my idle be? Right now it's well under 1000 - but it doesn't die on me - but I have a feeling it should be around 1000.

I have no owners manual yet
(working on getting one)
I needed an owners manual so I went to vmax outlaw`s site and found one and just printed it out and it came out great and didn`t cost me a dime.
You should try it. I also have an extra repair manual on cd rom if you want it , I could send it to you.
<<Dave>>:punk:

I JUST WENT OUT TO MY TRAILER & TOOK OFF MY AIR BOX / FAKE GAS TANK COVER & ON THE UNDER SIDE OF IT THERES A STICKER JUST LIKE UNDER THE HOOD OF A CAR WITH SOME SPECS. ON IT , IT SAYS " IDLE SPEED 1100 RPM'S AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE ! I GUESS I'M WRIGHT ON THE MONEY !...:punk: DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS STICKER UNDER THEIRS ?:confused2:

Yip , and it even has the tyre pressures on it .

Thanks guys.

I didn't get to adjust them tonight.

I will have to check under my cover :)

I also ordered a morgan carbtune - and I am going to try and synch mine. I am hoping a couple local guys with some experience show up to boot :)

Once I get my max insured, I will take a drive to woodstock no problem :) Just waiting on a safety course to get the cheap rates :)
________
mary jane

Last edited:
Just waiting on a safety course to get the cheap rates :)

Good luck on getting a "cheap rate" because of taking the safety course. I have progressive insurance and took a MSF class. Here is the direct quote from my broker who is a family friend.

"The whopping discount for your course is $2.00.
The paid in full premium is now $335.00."

Effers!

I get 10% off my insurance. My '06 costs 2 something I think.

I set mine low so I can here the lope... Seems to work ok.

Chris

very easy to do huh man? i do it until it 'sounds' right. thats usually 1k for me. 1100 sounds to high.

my bike has that sticker also tim, i have my idle set to about 1100 also.

On some bikes the idle is set high enough so the oil pump is sending enough oil. I think it was my Bandit that had a minimum idle of 1050 - 1100 rpm to insure adequate oil flow.

good ponit m-cman. those of us with oil gauges should maybe have our idles set so there is always 3 - 4 PSI. esp on those hot muggy days.

I have mine set at 1000 R's, kinda used to that sound now; anything higher sounds too "busy" for me.
$265/ year/ full coverage/ $250 deductable/ age 50.

Back