Broken stud

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
Long story short, broke the stud off in the head. Drilled it out, heated it up. used an easy out, and broke the easy out. what are my alternatives. I was told you can't drill an easy out. I must say i'm not impressed with the easy outs. I didn't put that much force behind it, when it broke.

LOL whom ever told you that you cannot drill out an easy out or a Tap is so full of crap! That used to be the case years ago. There is a company that makes these really cool drills . The company is called "Omega" http://omegadrill.com/ I was given a few by a co worker last year. I have never used them personally. My co worker said "They made a believer out of me"

G

If I was home I would just send him one of the ones that were given to me . The cost is out of this world... but if it gets the job done then it was a cheep investment for future issues that you might have...

G

thanks for the info G. I see you can also buy individual bits, so its not too bad. I'm going to call them in the morning.

If it comes to this, do I have to take the engine out to pull the head. Its the front head.:ummm:

Just ordered an omega drill bit on line. 1/8 inch bit was $30.00 + shipping. If it works, its money well spent.

Do you have a pic of the broken stud? Don't waste your money... try to cancel that order if you can. You will break or chip the cutting edge of that 1/8 carbide bit in about 30 seconds or less. Even if you were able to get through (no way) what do you with a 1/8 hole? Not trying to be a know it all.... just been there 100 times or more.

I say let him buy them and be our guinea pig. If it works we borrow his set. I do see a problem though. In a perfect world,the part would be clamped in a drill vise for centering and removal. Doing this on the bike multiplies complexity immensly. I twice drilled broken exhaust studs in a Jetta with my 90 degree drill and got them both perfectly centered and easy outed. I don't think my eyes are that good anymore! Man did I look like a pro that day!

I just broke a tap off in my front wheel caliper bolt thread. I wasn't even going to screw with trying to get a center drilled in it. And thoughts of machinest ran through my head. When I calmed down, I was able to reach in and turn the tap clock wise, then ccw a few times till I could grab a piece sticking out.A small pair of 90 degree plyers did it. The problem with a regular drill is, if you go off center? You're pretty screwed. I like the bits posted by Gannon-thanks. Easy outs are hard and need a slow drill speed with lube. Tap extractors? I've seen many customers come in to the marina with a broken extractor and a broken tap in a prop.They think they can force it out, prolly with a pair of vice grips. If they didn't own a 700k boat I'd feel for them(like a nickle to some). Seeing a Vmax Bro go through it sucks!
Steve

I have broken many taps and easy-outs in my time. For me, the easiest/cheapest way to get it out is to chip it. I use a fine, sharp center punch and a hammer and tap, tap, tap. You will find that even though the metal is extremely hard, it is also very brittle. You just chip away at it until it will come free. I have done this many, many times and it always works for me.

I'm starting with the route of guinea pig first. then I'll try the heating and chipping. If I get the easyout out I will increase the bit size and try a larger easyout. What do you do in this situation ,TURBOVMAX?

I'm starting with the route of guinea pig first. then I'll try the heating and chipping. If I get the easyout out I will increase the bit size and try a larger easyout. What do you do in this situation ,TURBOVMAX?

First I yell out F*CK! Then I throw shit around... sometimes breaking shit I like.

Every stud I've broken is somehow a little different than the last. I found this welding rod a while back. You would need to find a welder that doesn't wear glasses and has an auto darkening helmet.

Larson Products Cronatron 333 You may be able to buy a 1/4 of a pound of 1/8. Or the welder may have some!

Here's a video on hows it done.

The other option is to remove the head and have the stud burnt out. There's a very precise machine they have that uses carbon electrodes. Check with a local job machine shop... sometimes they have their own machine for burning out broken drills and taps... it happens often there.

Got my omegadrill bit today. went to work on it. the instructions say not to use a hand held drill. Yea right. got a real good center on the easy out and went to it. So far i'm a good 1/4 inch into the easy out. it seems to be going well. its quite strenuious trying to hold the drill straight and keep good pressure on it. All I have is a rechargeable drill, so now I'm waiting for the batteries to charge. It seemed to slow down in cutting but I'm still getting shavings.

If all fails take the head to a shop with an EDM otherwise known as a spark eroder
as Gary mentioned.
We're fortunate to have one which often gets used for customers with broken taps, studs,bolts you name it.
My CB750 motor had 2 or 3 broken cam cover bolts broken by the previous owner
so I used our EDM to do the job. The job is precise with no damage to threads or surrounding area.

Attachments

• SP_A0032.jpg
    SP_A0032.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 14
  • SP_A0036.jpg
    SP_A0036.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I'm not out of the woods yet but the omega drill was a success. I have a 1/2" deep hole where the easy out used to be. going to try drilling to the next size easy out and put the heat to it. I won't put anywhere near the force on the new easyout. I just can't imagine pulling the head and all that it involves for a bolt. you never know, I still might have to.

Glad to hear that Omega Bit worked for you, Good Luck with getting that Bolt out. !!!!

I drilled out, the easy out with the omega drill bit. It did work. I drilled the bolt out a little bigger, and tried using a bigger sized easy out. I personally didn't get it. I couldn't get it to move, even with heat. I took it to a local cycle shop and they ended up cutting/chipping it out peice by piece, and doing a helicoil in the head. I didn't have to take anything apart to repair it though. Its been good ever since. I don't have any pics of the process.

Back