My jet kit install update

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
Hi All,

Well I bought a 2007 VMAX with UFO 4 into 1 exhaust and no other mods to the carbs. After reading a lot on this newsgroup I talked to Sean and decided to buy his jet kit.

Dropped my bike off to the dealer to install the kit and 2 days later I call and they told me that before doing anything my HP was 122 after putting in Seans kit it's now has HP 112 and runs really lean.

I'm not a mechanic and don't understand all this but I was able to get the dealer mechanic to call Sean again today with hopes that they could figire out why the kit isn't working in my bike.

I'm hoping they find something but I fear I paid $270 for the kit and then $400-$600 in labor and will be left with the option of going back to stock with drilled slides.

I'm not judging Seans kit, I still belive in it nor am I judging the mechanic, I guess I am caught in the middle as a consumer.

They are still working on it and it may work out for the best but I had to post the progress just in case someone else has dealer mechanics do their work.

I know Sean ( I believe ) will stand behind his kit and help these guys getting it right.

I will be very upset if I spend all this money and end up back at my HP of 122 IF they can even get my bike back to the way it was before they started.

Kinda in a shitty mode over this whole process

Ron :bang head:

I'm in the same predicament as you right now. I don't know how many ponies my Vmax was cranking out stock, but I took it to the dealer and had them install Sean's kit because I couldn't get the carbs loose from the engine and I couldn't bust the drain screws loose. The mechanic at the dealership told me that he had called Sean and asked him about the kid. The mechanic then decided to do what he wanted, which was installing a 162 main jet. After talking to people who are at the same elevation as myself, and with the same setup, I've figured out that my bike needs a lot smaller main jet than the dealer put in.

I ran mine on a dyno yesterday and it showed my max HP at 117.2 which I knew was WAY off. Sean's kit has proven increases in HP, so both my bike and your bike aren't tuned properly at all. What elevation are you at? I read on here that your jet size decreases 1% per 1000ft elevation increase. I wonder if your mechanic is doing the same thing that mine did....well, at least my EX-mechanic.

I'm at about 900 ft above seal level...I have no idea what they are doing, I just have to sit here and worry and then pay... it sucks

I'm gonna go ahead and guesstimate then that your bike probably would be best with 152.5 main jets. That's what I'm going to have to switch mine out to. You're about 300ish ft higher in elevation than I am. I'm sure someone will chime in soon and agree (or disagree with me).

Last time I spoke to the mechanic just after he spoke to Sean, he told me that he was going back to Sean's baseline.

Last time I spoke to the mechanic just after he spoke to Sean, he told me that he was going back to Sean's baseline.

Your dealer is GOING BACK TO Sean's baseline??? So, what did they start with? "Sounds" to me like your dealer did what Ekozy1's dealer did and took it upon themselves to re-think someone else's kit...:bang head:

I Know, I had the mechanic call Sean before he started so he'd have an idea of how to go about installing Sean's kit which is designed for VMAX"S

I guess that didn't even help, and now of course because he got behind, my bike is sitting there while he catches on on others bikes.

I guess he is going to start fresh again on mine in the morning, day 3 :bang head: :bang head:

Reading you guys posts makes me sick. How so? These damn dealers have mechanics that are great at putting on an extended swing arm and a 300 rear tire kit or maybe a power commander on an R-1 but I am guessing that most of these grease monkeys are younger than a V Max! They can't figure out a simple jet kit and have BASIC tuning skills ! WTF !!! I posted earlier that I went to a shop and asked the service dept how much to rebuild my Max carbs and he said " does that have two or four carbs?" I was done right there and then even if he quoted me fifty bucks to totally rebuild em. I hate the stealerships and have very very little to do with them. I would rather travel across the state to patronize Wild Bros or Boxennstop or buy from Morley before going to Yamastar. Sorry state but it is true. I wish a couple of the Forum whiz kids would get together and open a Max shop. I think Sean is already on the way. Seems to me by reading all the technical issues on all the Max forums that a shop could do a decent business and turn a reasonable profit. I have a whole laundry list of things I would like done! PatMax.

sorry to hear it both ron and ekozy...

i'd like to do a jet kit/exhaust at some point. i'd SERIOUSLY consider trailer or riding the bike down to Sean and have him hand install all the components or at least help and tune if he'd be willing...

who was it that called a dealership asked about a vmax and they said "does suzuki make that?"

Man I am glad that I have a Tech that knows about the Vmax. You guys sound like your techs are :ummm: clueless.

The problem here is that my kit is "strange" to most people and if they have had experience with dynojet kits they assume automatically that my kit is crap. Sadly in this case my kit I think exposed other problems with the bike. Coincedince is a bitch.

He started out with my baseline and it was showing pretty lean. So, he changed the main jet from the 157.5 recommendation to 165's and it got leaner all across the midrange. The only way this is possible is if something else is wrong. He verified that the floats showed fine and he could not find any manifold leaks.

I am wondering if a bit of dirt broke loose in the install process and has block a passage. He is going to take the carbs off, clean them (including the tiny jet in the jet block) and re-install it with my baseline again. The mechanic knows that there is no explanation as to why the bike went even leaner with a way bigger jet in place.

I have offerred to send ANY parts he wants including the parts to change it to stage 1 or stage seven. He realizes that my kit is very similar to stage seven already so he's stumped as I am (but without it in my hands I can't be a lot of help).

I've seen what the dealers charge and I just can't get myself to charge that much. I usually put the tools in your hands and make you do your own work while I stand there and guide you when you have questions.

I may have been a bit harse when Ron called and said my kit killed his power. I truly understand his frustation and feel for him. The kit is a fairly simple kit for most home mechanics with simple tools (other then the sync tool). But, to some it can seem like voodo.

Anyway, let's keep track of this kind of stuff so hopefully anyone with similar problems in the future can learn from this.

Sean Morley

Sean,

You weren't harse to me, I understood what the people on the board were and are saying about your kits but me reading more wouldn't help my current situation with the mechanic screwing things up.

The bike was running perfect, hell 122 HP without anything being done I would think was a nice reading. Now I have to sit here and wonder if this guy is going to even be able to figure it out.

I'm really regreting doing this, not because of your kit but because of the dealership.

Ron

Did you put eyes on a dyno sheet showing 122 hp w/only an aftermarket exhaust? That seems steep to me, but I don't know much...I just know that getting to 120 with stock internals seems to be a pretty big deal with these bikes (UFO will put your name on their website).

Regardless....as I go down the righteous path of vmax ownership, I'm comforted knowing Sean is but a short 30 min. drive from my house! I'm starting simple, he's doing slip on's and a tune up, but have a feeling there will be more. :eusa_dance:

Reading you guys posts makes me sick. How so? These damn dealers have mechanics that are great at putting on an extended swing arm and a 300 rear tire kit or maybe a power commander on an R-1 but I am guessing that most of these grease monkeys are younger than a V Max! They can't figure out a simple jet kit and have BASIC tuning skills ! WTF !!! I posted earlier that I went to a shop and asked the service dept how much to rebuild my Max carbs and he said " does that have two or four carbs?" I was done right there and then even if he quoted me fifty bucks to totally rebuild em. I hate the stealerships and have very very little to do with them. I would rather travel across the state to patronize Wild Bros or Boxennstop or buy from Morley before going to Yamastar. Sorry state but it is true. I wish a couple of the Forum whiz kids would get together and open a Max shop. I think Sean is already on the way. Seems to me by reading all the technical issues on all the Max forums that a shop could do a decent business and turn a reasonable profit. I have a whole laundry list of things I would like done! PatMax.

sheldontoxicman said:
Man I am glad that I have a Tech that knows about the Vmax. You guys sound like your techs are
uhm00000.gif
clueless.

Back in the eighties when my '86 was fresh (i'm running an '95 now).......No i'm NOT THAT old........LLLLLLLLL....a local dealership used to charge $250.00 for a "tune-up",,,,,,,,,spark plug change, oil change, valve adj., carb sync and the bike would be NOTICABLY bettter running.........I call same place last year for a "tune-up" and get "a Vmax??....that's alot of work!!!........just valve adj, $350.00....CLICK..........haven't asked them for anything since!!........bought a new repair manual by different author......money well spent!!!!!

I do not know how you guy's can afford to pay people to work on your bikes. Of course I am a mechanic by trade. I installed my own exhaust, jet kits, everything. I even bought a synch tool so i could do them myself. Thats half the fun of owning a vmax.

Did you put eyes on a dyno sheet showing 122 hp w/only an aftermarket exhaust? That seems steep to me, but I don't know much...I just know that getting to 120 with stock internals seems to be a pretty big deal with these bikes (UFO will put your name on their website).

Regardless....as I go down the righteous path of vmax ownership, I'm comforted knowing Sean is but a short 30 min. drive from my house! I'm starting simple, he's doing slip on's and a tune up, but have a feeling there will be more. :eusa_dance:

You sir, are a lucky man........:worthy:

If I had the cash......I would ship my whole $%#^$%##@$ bike to Sean in December.....and have it sent back at the end of April ready to go....

Every year:clapping:

i have seans kit and a marks exhaust took some time to get it right but not hard to do. it does seem the 122hp numbers are high based on what i see here with stock dyno runs they usally pull around 112hp. i run mine on the dyno last summer and it made 120hp and 79.9tq. were the numbers on your dyno run corrected that might be the confusion.
Chris

I hear all of you guys and I'm glad you can do your own work. I for one do know what I can do and can't do. What I can't do I use a mechanic for.

Not all mechanics are dumb as rocks, it could be as Sean said maybe some dirt go into the carbs? that could happen to anyone.

Will anyone who installed Seans kit the first time and it was perfect please raise their hand

:flagwaver:

I don't want to trash every mechanic, I'll know more today and and then if things are not right I will trash the hell out of him. !!!!!

:rofl_200:

Ron

Another update,

I just spoke to the mechanic and he is still at a loss, he said it doesn't make sense why my VMAX is acting the way it is. He removed the carbs and cleaned them and tried again and it isn't working as it should.

He told me that he feels it's the stock needle, he says if he had needles that were adjusable that MIGHT be the fix. I told him that Sean would send hiim whatever he needed and he said I knew because Sean told him the same thing. He wants to try and see if the needles are available locally so he can get them faster.

This guys sounds like he knows what he is doing and both Sean and him are at a loss on what is causing my bike to act this way.

I have verified with him and 122 with the UFO pipes was a true dyno reading before he started..... He just called back and the needles are not available locally so I suggested he call Sean who offered to send him the needles. ( Sean I told him to tell you if you will overnight the needles I'll pay the shipping cost )

So hopefully with the needles that will fix my bike. If Sean can't overnight them my bike will be in the shop all next week :confused2:

Ron

Back