'09 B-King vs '09 Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL! I know my point will be lost on some (just like some HD riders think that his/her bike is different from every metric cruiser). Back in 1985 the VMax was probably considered the race bike of its day and it definately kicked ass. In the last 10 years windtunnel technology, aerodynamic drag, ergonomics, etc have created a new breed of bike design. Because today's race bikes employ a leaned-over posture, low bars, fairings, low centre of gravity and huge weight reductions through use of carbon-fibre they all generally look like they do today. However, I'm sure any Ducati owner would argue that that their 1098 doesn't look "just like" buddy's TL1000.

Blaine

You must be joking with that line. Hard to tell those 2 bikes apart except for the single sided swingarm, traditional steel tube frame vs aluminum spar design, side exhaust vs underseat exhaust, radial mount brakes vs standard etc...:icon_rolleyes:

Attachments

• tlr1098.jpg
    tlr1098.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 17
You must be joking with that line. Hard to tell those 2 bikes apart except for the single sided swingarm, traditional steel tube frame vs aluminum spar design, side exhaust vs underseat exhaust, radial mount brakes vs standard etc...:icon_rolleyes:

but aren't they both motorcycles, with 2 wheels, and have plastics??

"except for the single sided swingarm, traditional steel tube frame vs aluminum spar design, side exhaust vs underseat exhaust, radial mount brakes vs standard etc"

Yep, that's all. But to the Ducati or Tiller purist, that's enough. I know a gixxer owner who doesn't think his bike looks "just like" a Ninja...go figure!

Now compare the side-views and the basic layout (not performance) of a V65 Magna vs a Vmax:
-traditional dual rear shock/spring combo
-4-2 exhaust system set nice and low
-similar fork rake
-similar ergos (upright seating and footpeg position although the Max's handlebars are lower)
- both have V4 engines although the canter is more forward on the V65.
- both use plastic pieces for covers and fenders.
- both use chrome exhaust, suspension pieces, engine accents.

And yes, both have two wheels!

Put low bars and faux air scoops on a Maxim and there'd be a passing resemblace to a VMax. I guess that the scoops really set off the appearance of the VMax in my opinion. I've seen some Max's that are so tricked out that the scoops are the major visual cue that it's still a VMax!

Blaine

Attachments

• v65.jpg
    v65.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Max.JPG
    Max.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 14
Wow Blaine, you actually said something I agree with you on..... this must be the 7th sign of the apocolypse!! I too have seen Vmax's that if they didn't have scoops and the engine wasn't so recognizable I wouldn't have known it was a Vmax....... Oh wait I own one of those LOL...

Upright seating.....low saddle.....dual springs/shocks.........no aero's........It appears to me that Yamaha actually copied my second bike as a kid, a 1975 xr-75!!!!! It's off to e-bay for one of those, and of course a set of scoops. After a good tune, I will be Busa huntin'!!!:rofl_200:

Upright seating.....low saddle.....dual springs/shocks.........no aero's........It appears to me that Yamaha actually copied my second bike as a kid, a 1975 xr-75!!!!! It's off to e-bay for one of those, and of course a set of scoops. After a good tune, I will be Busa huntin'!!!:rofl_200:

Don't forget to get a few snapshots of some hottie on the saddle of your XR-75 before you go 'Busa huntin'....it'll add to the mystique of your ride and give you extra stuff to blog about! LOL!

Blaine

The old Max in his day was the best 1/4 miler with only maybe 1 or 2 that could compete from the factory.Thats what made it stand apart to all the bikes, forget the catagory of bike.Just bad ass bike and take no prisoner.The gen 2 has nothing to lean on but the reputation of the old max!If the orginal had been released with perfromance that was lacking compared to most other(yes all ,sports and street fighter)it would have fell out of production like all the rest did .It does look like alot of 80s bikes but none ran like it! Did not look like the sport bike but out ran them also. JOHN

The old Max in his day was the best 1/4 miler with only maybe 1 or 2 that could compete from the factory.Thats what made it stand apart to all the bikes, forget the catagory of bike.Just bad ass bike and take no prisoner.The gen 2 has nothing to lean on but the reputation of the old max!If the orginal had been released with perfromance that was lacking compared to most other(yes all ,sports and street fighter)it would have fell out of production like all the rest did .It does look like alot of 80s bikes but none ran like it! Did not look like the sport bike but out ran them also. JOHN

I agree...nothing ever ran with a Max in its day.

I do not share a general consensus that all sportbikes look alike. Sure, they share the same basic design philosophy but there are differences that I'm sure sportbike enthusiasts know and appreciate.

As far as the Vmax having a distinct engine profile and scoops, I agree with Jim. However, if I gave the Max's V4 engine and scoops to the boys at OCC and they made me a Vmax-powered chopper would be a VMax? Folks (like Jim) who have changed the stock Vmax's engine internals, the carbs, the electrical, the suspension, brakes, exhaust, lights, mirrors, fenders, wheels, swingarms......etc still claim to be riding a Vmax!

Blaine

I do not share a general consensus that all sportbikes look alike. Sure, they share the same basic design philosophy but there are differences that I'm sure sportbike enthusiasts know and appreciate.

As far as the Vmax having a distinct engine profile and scoops, I agree with Jim. However, if I gave the Max's V4 engine and scoops to the boys at OCC and they made me a Vmax-powered chopper would be a VMax? Folks (like Jim) who have changed the stock Vmax's engine internals, the carbs, the electrical, the suspension, brakes, exhaust, lights, mirrors, fenders, wheels, swingarms......etc still claim to be riding a Vmax!

Blaine

And your point is?????????????????????????????:confused2:

Blaine
Well it would be a Vmax engine in a OCC chopper that's it.
I think you're off mark with your comment unless (maybe) you think that any modification takes away the identity of the original. That's a pretty narrow view and disregards other Vmax riders desire to customize their Vmax. It's critical for you to think that if I change "the stock Vmax's engine internals, the carbs, the electrical, the suspension, brakes, exhaust, lights, mirrors, fenders, wheels, swingarms......etc" that I cannot claim to be riding a Vmax! You're far off base with that line of thinking in my opinion.
Most on this and other forums had done one, many or more mods than you mentioned, and I pretty sure we feel we still ride a Vmax. Your welcome to your opinion, but to tell any of us we ride less of a Vmax because we mod is quite disrespectful. Your opinion is not shared by me! If your do not fix (mod) some of the Vmax shortcomings your not riding as safe a bike as possible, and that is not smart.:bang head:

I think you're off mark with your comment unless (maybe) you think that any modification takes away the identity of the original. That's a pretty narrow view and disregards other Vmax riders desire to customize their Vmax. It's critical for you to think that if I change "the stock Vmax's engine internals, the carbs, the electrical, the suspension, brakes, exhaust, lights, mirrors, fenders, wheels, swingarms......etc" that I cannot claim to be riding a Vmax! You're far off base with that line of thinking in my opinion.
Most on this and other forums had done one, many or more mods than you mentioned, and I pretty sure we feel we still ride a Vmax. Your welcome to your opinion, but to tell any of us we ride less of a Vmax because we mod is quite disrespectful. Your opinion is not shared by me! If your do not fix (mod) some of the Vmax shortcomings your not riding as safe a bike as possible, and that is not smart.:bang head:

MUST MOD MAX,MUST MOD MAX,WHOOAA.:punk:

I blame the mod monkey!!!! Otherwise well said. I will also say that Blaine's Max is not stock, though for the most part it appears so. Corbin seat, jet kit, Holeshot exhaust, and solid motor mounts do come to mind.... in the words of Damon "How many of those are genuine Yamaha parts?". If one is going to stir up shit, use a HUGE paddle!!!

Not exactly my point. I was originally attempting to explain that a lot of 80's cruisers looked alike, including the Vmax. Jim made the comment about the distinct profile of the Max's V4 engine and the scoops. I agree with Jim that the V4 engine and scoops make a unique styling statement for the Max...but it still used 80's-style cruiser ergos, engineering and design and because of this it looks like other 80's cruisers.

Using Jim's idea that the V4 and the scoops make the Vmax stand out I suggested that these items be incorporated into a chopper frame. By placing the stock Vmax engine (including carbs) and scoops into this chopper frame one may have a bike with as many original Vmax parts as some of the more modded Vmax's that are out there.

Your take on my last comment is (perhaps?) that it's ok to take an original Vmax and replace 80% of it and still have a Vmax. With the OCC comment I'm suggesting that you take 20% (e.g. engine, carbs, scoops) of the original Vmax and drop it into a new frame. In both scenarios you still have a bike that's 20% original Vmax (minus a VIN number).

In terms of disrespect, my opinions are not always mainstream and may cause feathers to be ruffled.

Blaine

I blame the mod monkey!!!! Otherwise well said. I will also say that Blaine's Max is not stock, though for the most part it appears so. Corbin seat, jet kit, Holeshot exhaust, and solid motor mounts do come to mind.... in the words of Damon "How many of those are genuine Yamaha parts?". If one is going to stir up shit, use a HUGE paddle!!!

Don't worry...you'll always get the huge one!

Back