18" wheels again

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim, do you hear us ? lol

Hes not but I do :rofl_200:

hellra02.jpg

Funny_Pictures_28718.jpg

guys-short-spiked-hairstyle-miah.jpg

stock-photo-profile-portrait-of-caucasian-man-with-spiked-mohawk-against-orange-background-3102100.jpg

RainbowSpikeWigThmb.jpg

SpikeHair.jpg

l_f26696dbfc749a198a45d66c4b159d94.jpg

hey jedi when do you start to sell those wheels? That really look amazing.
Will the brake disk and rear calipers remain the same ?

They are available anytime, Sean has a dealership for the Ultima style and others.
The caliper and rotor can remain the same if desired or a Harley style.

Please explain, I am looking at getting the diff housing powdercoated this winter and was dreading having to take it all apart.

Mike

It's quite doable. Don't sandblast it, use a paint stripper. The oil needs to be drained of course, the shaft entry and threaded studs need to be covered to stop any powder getting into it. Remove the clutch face flange bolts and pull the flange out to release the plastic shroud, put the flange back in enough to cover the hole and finger tight the bolts back in. This face doesn't even need to be coated if not required. Plug the axle hole to stop powder and clutch spline if doing that side.
I usually cook the part first to release any crap if it's there and coat the part whilst it's cooling down.

It's quite doable. Don't sandblast it, use a paint stripper. The oil needs to be drained of course, the shaft entry and threaded studs need to be covered to stop any powder getting into it. Remove the clutch face flange bolts and pull the flange out to release the plastic shroud, put the flange back in enough to cover the hole and finger tight the bolts back in. This face doesn't even need to be coated if not required. Plug the axle hole to stop powder and clutch spline if doing that side.
I usually cook the part first to release any crap if it's there and coat the part whilst it's cooling down.

aren't there bearings in there?

We usually take the diff all the way apart (the main ring gear is easy - the pinion is hard). We don't take out the pilot bearing for the pinion but we do take out the sleeve, seal, and bearing for the nose of the ring gear support. The seals will take a lot of temp before they have any problems and not sure about the oil before it cooks off.

Sean

So if we are interested in buying the harley wheels how does this work? Do we buy an adapter from Jedi and that is it? Or do the wheels need shipped to Steve so he can do some machining and then they get shipped back?

How much does the conversion cost, aside from the price of the wheel? I've seen some cheap HD wheels on ebay. Can we buy our own wheels and then the parts to convert?

You'll have the wheel cost (which I can sell you the ultima's and a few other brands) plus the adapters from Jedi which we are going to stock (price to be determined soon). You can either get the complete package from me or just the adapters and source your own wheels. I am not sure if other brands will work at this time.

You'll have the wheel cost (which I can sell you the ultima's and a few other brands) plus the adapters from Jedi which we are going to stock (price to be determined soon). You can either get the complete package from me or just the adapters and source your own wheels. I am not sure if other brands will work at this time.

are fronts available? do we need adapters (either bearing or rotor)? will speedometers work?

Will need to wait for Jedi to answer that. A single rotor will work as long as the rotor diameter is large enough and there is enough pad. I think a 320mm rotor with 6 piston caliper will stop pretty well compared to the 93-07 setups (298mm and 4 piston) and I am confident that it's better then the 92 and older setups (using 2 piston and 282mm rotors). Your forks will already have the mounts for the second caliper so as long as the adapter hubs have provisions then a second rotor should be no problem.

The goal is to provide a bolt on upgrade.

The best way is to go with a common brand like the Ultima's or another common off the shelf wheel wheel because although the wheels are modular there is some differences between the manufacturers. That way I can produce an adapter that is going to work for that brand wheel and will bolt on.
The unknown ebay wheels will work fine but that means I have to do that adapter on a case by case situation which would mean shipping the whole thing here and back again to be sure it bolts straight in.
The fronts shouldn't be a problem and I'd look at making adapters to use both V-max rotors. Providing the front wheel diameter chosen is the same diameter as the v-max then the stock speedo should also work.

Back