1st Post - Barn Find 85 VMAX

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much for all the advice. I have a plan, I just don't know how long it will take me to get it all done. I pride myself on doing quality great looking work on a budget and will enjoy doing the same on this motorbike.

As far as pictures and documentation, is there a PROJECT sub-forum on here that will allow me to start a "project" thread? That's probably the best way keep all my progress and pictures in one spot to show everyone on here. If there isn't one, is there a possibility of making one?

Just start a new tópic and consider the Burn Out Pit for it's location.

Most definitely. We can help you with most of the restoration. Of course so can a few other guys too. Price was right to get started lol! I have found that many times they are parked due to something being wrong so it's quite possible that the trans is going out. You won't know for sure until you get it running again.

Sean

Nice find & a pretty early number and a great price ! Lots of knowledge here. I am more than willing to help you with any thing I can on restoration. I do a good bit of paint work & usually have some spare parts around at decent prices. My GF like the fairing. I would be interested if its not spoken for yet.

Sorry Kyle, beat ya to it. I am proud of all you guys that posted such thorough and encouraging replies to a new guy. Makes me a fuzzy feeling inside to be a tiny part of such a good group. Or maybe that the week old fish I just ate...

Kyle, Somebody's got another Resurrection Project.:clapping:
Kyle's Monday helper got one from him and it's come
a long, long way. Yours actually looks way better as
a starting point. Welcome to the absolute best forum
of any type on the web... The answers here will at
times overwhelm you. Best people in the world visit
here very often.......

Kyle, Somebody's got another Resurrection Project.:clapping:
Kyle's Monday helper got one from him and it's come
a long, long way. Yours actually looks way better as
a starting point. Welcome to the absolute best forum
of any type on the web... The answers here will at
times overwhelm you. Best people in the world visit
here very often.......
Yeah that one looks about 10 times as good as resurrection started out so I believe he is good to go.

Great find Snipe ! I am friggin jealous as hell. Always wanted a barn find just like the one you found. Good luck with it and please post the process of restoration

The only thing I ever find in barns is horse shit. :a014: :tantrum: Great find!! Keep us updated on the restoration. :thumbs up:

Wow nice find, should been funny getting it up and running.

Tracy fairings are stylish & well-designed. Handlebar mount fairings magnify the parts needing work in the bike, like worn steering head bearings, leaking forks, worn wheel bearings, a worn tire..., but if your front end is OK, running the fairing shouldn't be an issue. They really aren't for top-end speedo runs, they are for comfort and protection at everyday sub-triple digits speeds.

The best design they had was the integrated side panels, seat, and gas tank fiberglas units. Downsides, you probably have problems w/them running E10 gas now and they didn't have much capacity. But they were stylish then and still are. They made any bike look good.

Most definitely. We can help you with most of the restoration. Of course so can a few other guys too. Price was right to get started lol! I have found that many times they are parked due to something being wrong so it's quite possible that the trans is going out. You won't know for sure until you get it running again.

Sean

Thanks for all the kind words guys and I'm glad to have such a warm welcome.

As far as the trans, I think it's good. My coworker said he rode it down to the barn to free up extra space at his place because he didn't ride it anymore. He hooked a battery booster pack up to the battery leads and rode with it strapped to the backseat. He did recall not hearing the v-boost cycling and it running a bit funny. More like a lopey cam.

Post everything that's wrong as you find it. Sean has loaner elecrical kits that will help root out gremlins pretty fast, Kyle is close enough to you, that parts won't take long to get. Just think, if you'd made your original post and left it here for two days you coulda had yourself 12 pages of welcome notes...

Decided to tackle a couple things this afternoon.

Discoveries while disassembling: All bolts are rusted and froze. Kroil is my friend. Gas tank is rusted inside severely and unusable. Will need a new one.

On with more pics.

My helper

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

Highway pegs gone

IMG_0298.jpg

Front fairing gone

IMG_0299.jpg

Rear fender removed

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

I should just turn this thread into my resto/update thread...lol

Good feeling to the restoration project rather than chopping it off. It reminds me when I fixed mine and put it back on the road.

I'm guessing from the leafs & coils in the background that you're no stranger to the wrench....that's great because you have a golden opportunity here to resto a completely original, low number, 1st production run 1985 VMax. These are rare indeed! :clapping:

Welcome to the forum, good luck with your project.

No definitely not a stranger. I'm a mech engr and run a crew of 18 mechanics in a paper mill everyday. Other projects/toys are a kenne bell blown Harley f150 and a Vortech blown 92 stang. I'm excited as can be about the vmax.

No definitely not a stranger. I'm a mech engr and run a crew of 18 mechanics in a paper mill everyday. Other projects/toys are a kenne bell blown Harley f150 and a Vortech blown 92 stang. I'm excited as can be about the vmax.

Boxenstopp in Holly Hill FL (Daytona area) had a V-4 blower lying-around. It was previously on a Magna I think. :punk:

Latest posts

Back