VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamax

Reaction score
Engine ticking on cold startup

Hello Vmaxers.
First I must express how useful this site is.
Second, I apologize for not introducing myself in the proper place, but I shall do it with some photos.
I recently purchased a 2004 Vmax with about 6k miles on the clock.
The bike starts normally, 10-15 seconds later I start hearing a rather loud ticking noise from the front head bank - typically a valve ticking noise - a minute or two upon engine warm up the noise quitens and rather blends with the Vmax engine rumble and disappears.
Any ideas please ?
Thank you

Re: Engine ticking on cold startup

The fuel pump noise would be under the seat area and is very particular and occasionally occurs for few seconds. The sound I get is from the front cylinder head area, and sounds like valve noise.
Thank you

Probably a little looseness in the valve train and once warmed up the clearance decreases due to heat expansion and quiets up. The mileage is a little low to need valves adjusted already but it doesn't hurt to check.

Personally, these are noisy engines for the most part and I am not sure I would worry about it. Just ensure the engine is warmed up prior to running it hard.

Sean

Thank you all for the feedback.
I am already somehow hard of hearing, so the noise doesn't really annoy me, I just want to confirm if it is normal or not, especially I haven't heard it on my 97 max.

I want to avoid removing the valve covers at this low mileage to check, but then I might do it anyway if needed.

I seen the other day a post but I cannot find it about some carbs problems and a video clip was attached ( 2003 or 2004 bike ) and at the last few seconds I could swear I heard the same noise that I hear it in my engine, I will keep looking.

I might do a sound or a video recording and try to attach it or upload it.

As for the exhaust as a remedy, I will leave it for the next thread :biglaugh:
Thank you

I did a recording but the size was too big and the mic was too close. :bang head:

It is worth to mention that the noise significantly reduced after I added some X1-R a couple of days ago??????? the bottle was lying around in my garage. :ummm: Strange but true.

Any suggestions ? clues ? thoughts?:confused2:

Last edited:

Some have had noises from the fan motor jiggling around. We've had internal noises from worn wrist pins which get quieter when warmed up. Could be valve adjustment but again you've got low enough miles I would not think it would be that.

Sean

I am back....
and still has the engine noise.

I notice it is worse when cold but I can still hear noises when hot.

I just want to know if it is normal I shall keep it alone and ride happily.

If not, then I rather give it some attention now better than later.

To give you an idea, here is an older post with a video by a fellow member where the question of noise was raised among other questions but I could not find the answer. The last few seconds of the clip is the sound I hear that is driving me nuts. The bike was also hot.
You can hear it cluck, cluck, cluck...
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=8452

Thank you for the input...

Could it be the front header pipe making the ticking and getting quieter as things heat up?? Exhuast leaks tend to tick. But most I hear seem to continue ticking until fixed......just a thought......and a relatively easy fix....

Re: Engine noise

Thanks Mike,
I have put on the bike since I bought it 600 miles so far.
I only recently realized that I hear it hot or cold, the 1/2 face helmet I wear sometimes even amplifies it.
Exhaust is overruled - as I just fitted Mark's full exhaust :biglaugh::punk:

It is just the noise in that clip last 15 seconds...

I hope the vmax engine gurus will chime in and advise... normal or A.B.Normal.

I guess I better start a new thread...

Last edited:
I have started a new thread after I realized I get the noise cold or hot.

I put on the bike around 600 miles so far.

I hear it in the cylinder head area. Using the mechanical stethoscope I cannot pinpoint a particular spot, it is just mechanical noise everywhere at each head.

I am refering to this thread with a video, http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=8452

10 seconds before the end ( it is all 49 seconds ) you can clearly hear the engine noises I am referring to....

Normal or ABNormal... that is the question..:confused2:

I'd say abnormal - sounds like something's knocking in there.

Do this test: take a large screwdriver, stick the blade against each cylinder head (in turn) and the handle of the screwdriver to your ear, with the motor running. If something's knocking in the cylinders or cylinder heads, you'll easily be able to tell which.
If it isn't in/around the cylinders, do the same test with the screwdriver blade on the alternator casing, clutch casing, water pump casing etc.. It should become pretty obvious where your noise is coming from.

Seems a bit loud but it's hard to tell when you are not there by it. I would suggest to check all the simple stuff first but it could be an easy thing or something bad. When were the valves adjusted last? Normally they get tighter and less noise (until the valves hit that is).

Sean

from the video if yours sounds like that, it sounds more valve train then exhaust, but have you checked the oil level??? or even chg it. was it making the noise before you put on the marks pipes? does it get louder with rpm

mine is an 03 and makes that sound but its not that bad, it is a noisy engine... if you hear the noise while youre riding it i'd definitely get it checked out.

Mine is an 07 and it makes that sound too. Although quieter. It got even more quiet when I changed oil.

sounds like valvetrain to me. my 07 does NOT do that!

i would check the oil for a strong gass odor.... maybe its tooo thin and needs to be changed?? try 10w40

hard to belive the valves would be outta spec this soon....

I agree that it seems too early to need a valve adjustment. It has always been there before the exhaust swap.
My previous 97 max had few thousands miles more on the clock and sounded smoother, this is why I am worried. I do have a tiny bit of roughness ( not noise ) that disappears when I pull the clutch - but that is only very slight. The noise although seems like valvetrain noise but touching the sthetoscope on each exhaust pipe just adjacent to the head or on each head side or at the valve cover will reveal the same tone but more uniformly and equally on all 4 cylinders, meaning it is not a particular valve or cylinder, it is like the sound gets amplified. The bike has less than 7K miles on it so I never adjusted the valves, I did however change oil a couple of times hoping the noise disappears, first Shell oil Rotella mineral then Sheaffers synthetic blend.
The previous owner told me it always sounded rough since he bought it from the first owner. He sold it to me after he got 09 Max. He uses auto Mobil1 synthetic on all his rides.
I am surprized because it seems like some have it and some don't.
I tried to record my bike but the recording was too loud, I may try to give it another go and make a better recording when I get back home again ( 2 weeks), but when I seen mgrowc recording I could swear it is my bike. Meanwhile I appreciate opinions to keep coming...

Last edited:
Back