2015 VMAX Aftermarket Advise??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sick1

Reaction score
Hello All! I'm new here and just ordered my first VMAX, can't wait! I intend on breaking the bike in for 500-1000 miles stock, then upgrading the exhaust, flash, and maybe air intake. I'm looking for some advise on these mods.

I love the look of Vance&Hines but that's only 09-10, I love the look and sound of Akropovic's but just too damn expensive, love the price of the Thundermax but seems obnoxious from what I've read. Holeshot 10'' Bad Boys and Hindle seem to be a great combo of price, performance, looks, & sound? What about using Akro's collector with stock mufflers? I feel that an exhaust system should not cost more than $1500.

From what I've read, it's hard to beat a Nash Flash. What about UFO?

Intake? I'm not even sure it needs the power...maybe all I'm doing this for is looks and sound...but then again stock sucks

Congrats on the gen 2 loose the cat get a mid pipe . I personally have the akro mid and exhaust you can go akro mid pipe and stock exhaust and flash from tim nash (Guredgear.com ) far as air I have the monster big air kit but if I didn't spend an arm on it I would have modded the box like what Mark (itgoes) made up he should be along for more expert advice or you join the starvmaxforum.net and do some reading of your own ..

They make the V & H for all Gen II.. They are all the same (GenII's)
Exhaust - your choice, but get ride of the Cat
Nash Flash
DD Clutch mod
That will get you moving...

Congrats on the new max....you are going to enjoy it!

The aftermarket pipe that's right for you can in most cases just come down to a personal choice. The look and sound you like the most.

For a long time I was recommending the V&H (BTW it fits ALL years) to people for the best overall look, sound, power......bang-for-the-buck. But then a few people had problems with the cans cracking, after several years on the bike. V&H made good on some but not all.

Now if you want the best performer then the Brocks/Hindle (essentially the same) 4-2-1 is the choice. It is the only pipe that replaces the front headers as well as the cat. Beats all others by around 5HP.

The Akra is a great performer and allows you to run the stock mufflers. It is the lightest by far (titanium) but is expensive. You could then add the Akra cans later on. ....or sell the Akra (there is always a market for them) and move on to something else.

I have the Hindle 4-2-2, and am very happy with it. I normally would go with the pipe that makes the most power, but I much prefer the look of the 2 pipes on the Gen 2.

I could not recommend anything from UFO.

A re-flash should be high on your priority list. As much fun as the bike is in stock tune, the re-flash really takes it to another level by adding smoothness and power....and of course removes the factory speed limiter.

As far as the intake, an easy mod to the air box that involves removing the restrictor plate and installing a K&N filter is good for a few HP. The MBA (4 individual filters and velocity stacks with air box removed) as mentioned by Jamie ( marsmax85), will give you the maximum peak HP, or the TT mod (adding 2 additional filters to the stock air-box) will give nice gains all through the power band.

I don't know how you feel about the mirrors, (most people hate them except for some crazy guy from Missouri) or the turn signals and rear "mud flap". I had replacements for all that stuff before I even had my bike. :) There are some nice choices out there.

Feel free to ask a lot of questions, the VMax community is a friendly and helpful lot. You may want to poke around on the http://www.starvmax.com/forum site. Pretty much exclusively Gen 2 related stuff there.

Best of luck with your new ride!

BTW your screen name reminds me of my license plate. :punk:

Thank you all for the friendly advise, if you think of anything else please let me know! I will let you all know what I end up with and send pics!

How about the Vance and Hines leak issues? I thinnk they seem like great bang for the buck, and look and sound amazing!

I've narrowed it down to a Nash Flash, Stage 1 air box mod kit and double clutch spring kit from holeshot.

I still can't decide on exaust though... I like price, sound and looks of Vance and Hines but am concerned with some of the reviews I've read. If not vance and hines, I'm at a Hindle 4 into 1 or akro collector with stock cans

Welcome to the wonderful world of Vmax !

I know , I know , the Vmax is all about smoky burn outs , in fact I'll put my stock gen II
Up against most guys modded ones for long smokers( just cause I can) but you got to think about those times when your just cruising ( yes it does happen , unless maybe ya got a bigger too) for those times, a set of MAXRELAXERS is a nice addition.

Their a simple ( one bolt installation) adjustable highway bar for the gen II .
There are a few guys here running them.

I have a used UFO Thundermax 4/1 set up I would part with cheap. I am going with a Voodoo 4/2 instead, so have no use for the Thundermax. It is used, but in excellent condition. And, I will add, yes, the MaxRelaxers are an excellent addition to a Gen 2, I have them and love them.

Thanks guys!

It will look different this year.....I bought 2015 tins because I felt ready for a change, and I really like that color.

Thanks guys!

It will look different this year.....I bought 2015 tins because I felt ready for a change, and I really like that color.

Mark, where did you order the 2015 tins from? I love that color, and am thinking about doing mine as well.

Thanks, Stan

I went to a local motorcycle show in Maryland one reason besides Michele Smith (host american chopper was to see the color of the Gen II in person . NOT one even there I told the dealer rep that was lame for not showing beast .

Mark, where did you order the 2015 tins from? I love that color, and am thinking about doing mine as well.

Thanks, Stan

Stan, I order almost all of my stuff from Stadium Yamaha. http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/oemparts/c/yamaha/parts They consistently have the best prices and have been good to work with. The 2015 parts are a little difficult to find right now. The first fenders they sent me were damaged and apparently there were no more in the U.S. I've been waiting over 2 months for the replacements. "Supposed" to have them next week.

download_2014-12-18.jpg

Thanks, I'll look into it. Not surprised on the shortage of parts, Mama Yamaha doesn't have a very good track record of extra parts, or accessories for that matter, for these bikes. Thank god I found a factory backrest last year, they are probably STILL on backorder.... I'll never understand it...:bang head:

Back