85 max 200mm tire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadb1

Reaction score
I just bought an 85 max that has a custom rim with a 200mm tire on it.It was like wrestling an alligator to get that thing out.Does anyone else with this size tire have any tips on removal/instalation?I ended up removing the disc and caliper then letting all the air out and I still really fought to get it out.Is there an easier way?
________
YZ85

Last edited:
The caliper is pretty much a given to getting these out... Sometimes just loosening the pumpkin can make it easier. Letting out all the air helps some too.

I run a 180 and it's hard...

Chris

I have a 200 rear and its not fun...
The first thing i have to do is take my brake pads out to have enough room to remove the caliper.then i remove the left shock. then i remove the axle. then i remove the 4 bolts holding the pumpkin on. then i slide the wheel and pumpkin out turning it at the same time to get it out of the swingarm. it really is a pain in the A$$.

Wow, it may be worth all the effort if you get more than 5,000 miles out of the tire.:ummm:

Thanks for the replies.I can see how loosening or removing the pupkin would help.How do you guys jack upyour bikes that have Kerker pipes on them?
________
starcraft II replay

Last edited:
I just bought an 85 max that has a custom rim with a 200mm tire on it.It was like wrestling an alligator to get that thing out.Does anyone else with this size tire have any tips on removal/instalation?I ended up removing the disc and caliper then letting all the air out and I still really fought to get it out.Is there an easier way?

Hey, no problem. Put a jack under the bike resting on the header pipes and jack it up. Pull disc pads, caliper, left shock, axle, and then the final drive at the same time as the wheel. Should only take about 15 minutes. The more you do it the better you get. I have not found a tire that last 5000 miles so I change mine every year. Good Luck, Spur:punk:

I guess it's just a fact of life that rear tires on a Gen I just won't last. I've known that all along, but I was hoping.

Talked with a Gen II Rider at the local pub. He's going on 8k miles and needing his 4th tire, so things could be worse. He says he doesn't do many burnouts but I don't know if I believe that. Maybe he just doesn't realize the tire's spinning in the lower gears.

I wasnt sure if the header pipes would get crushed if I did this.I was going to see if I could get a jack on where the center stand mounts then put some jack stands under the passenger peg mounting brackets?
________
sc2 replay

Last edited:
I wasnt sure if the header pipes would get crushed if I did this.I was going to see if I could get a jack on where the center stand mounts then put some jack stands under the passenger peg mounting brackets?

They're pretty tough, I lift my bike up by the headers as well as some others and have had no problems.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 56
Kinda happy I have a 180 on mine... It's hard enough... removing parts of the bike not usual to a stock wheel removal would not be cool to me.

Got a 200 on 18" wheel on mine.

All i have to do is pull the caliper , let all the air out, grease the tire where it's going to hit the pumpkin. and then pull the wheel like normally, except for all the groaning and straining.

One trick is that I left off that plastic cosmetic trim ring between the pumkin and the wheel a long time ago, with the aftermarket wheel I've got it doesn't help it look better and serves no purpose I can see.

I still have to use a rubber mallet to beat it in and out...but it's seriously no big deal,

Back