93 vmax ignition no fire...pls help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damianvmax

Reaction score
Hello everyone, im very new to this site and ive owned my 93 vmax for bout 15 yrs or more, its been garaged and barely rode or even started for many years now, I know I should be made to walk the plank!!
Last times I did start it, it back fired pretty bad bc of the carb being lil glogged..Smart history there, but I was trying to start the bike recently with a battery booster to turn it over and I discovered I wasn't getting a spark to one of the plugs or probably all of them since it never fired up....
Can anyone tell me where to start diagnosing for this problem, ive got the manuel but I kinda wanted more basic route if there is, thanks for any responses...

DP

Start by checking the pickup coil. Orange and Black wire connector under the seat on left side of the bike just behind the battery. Unplug it and check the lead running down toward the engine. Should have 80-120 ohms give or take.

And doesn't it need to be in neutral, w/the emergency toggle handlebar switch in the 'on' position? And what about the sidestand switch?

Thanks for responses, Bike was in neutral, kickstand was checked and good and I believe the pick up coil was checked earlier and good when I was diagnosing it ,but ill recheck that again .

dp

As documented here, my '85 lost spark back in the fall of last year. Wound up being the kickstand relay.I'm not sure if the '93 would have a kickstand relay, due to the different ignition setup, but simply unplugging the fried relay got mine going again.

Good luck. I hope it's not the genie that lives in the black box..

'93s are old enough to get corossion in the connectors. I would detach and clean everything you can.. You might get lucky.

The 93 has one too (located in the same place). But, it's wired differently and can't be simply unplugged like your 85-89 bikes.

Sean

Thanks for responses, Bike was in neutral, kickstand was checked and good and I believe the pick up coil was checked earlier and good when I was diagnosing it ,but ill recheck that again .

dp

The Pick up coils die without warning,like a light bulb. They're fine then the bike won't start. I think the electrical loaner kit would be your best bet. And save plenty of time.
Steve-o

Back