A/F Needles

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did the shot gun last week, that's when I found the corroded AF springs.. Just received new ones in the mail.. I was hoping not to have to tear it all back down to replace them...

Well shit, try the drinking straw with a dab of grease first then. That might save you a lot of time, that's a great idea! Just leave the O ring in place..

This is probably a silly question, but what's the point of removing the o-rings? If I recall correctly, it goes (from outside to inside):
1) screw
2) spring
3) o-ring

If the o-ring is inside of everything and you can remove the screw and spring properly to check them or blast carb cleaner through there, why bother getting the o-rings out?

This is probably a silly question, but what's the point of removing the o-rings? If I recall correctly, it goes (from outside to inside):
1) screw
2) spring
3) o-ring

If the o-ring is inside of everything and you can remove the screw and spring properly to check them or blast carb cleaner through there, why bother getting the o-rings out?

Add a washer to that.

1) screw
2) spring
3) o-ring

It's not unusual to find the o-ring mashed farther down into the hole or even an extra o-ring or washer in there also.

I've even found two springs all jammed together.

These are only about $10 for each individual set. I would remove everything and install new ones with a little anti-seize. They have a tendency to seize which is a real problem. Usually on the right side due to being left on the side stand and moisture collecting in the area.

The o-ring usually deteriorates or can be out of position because removal of the screw often dislodges it. Reinstalling the screw with the o-ring out of place causes other problems.

Occasionally working the screw is a good idea just to keep it from seizing.

The O-ring doesn't need to come out, however it would be silly not to remove for inspection. If it ends up being distorted or deteriorating and you reassemble, you wasted your time and will have to do it again. To answer your question, no, you don't have to remove it.

Agreed. Doesn't have to come out. But need to make sure it's in it's proper place and not wadded up. If you can do it visually that's ok. Easiest way for me is to remove and reinstall the whole assembly to make sure it's where it should be.

These are only about $10 for each individual set. I would remove everything and install new ones with a little anti-seize. They have a tendency to seize which is a real problem. Usually on the right side due to being left on the side stand and moisture collecting in the area.

Are the A/F needles best sources from the dealer or is there a forum-supporter who offers them?

'99 VFR800, '08 1125R, '06 1050, '03 Vmax, '03 DRZ400

Back