Access to battery

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
OK remember guys unti reccently I have always had mechanics do my work so even though this is a dumb question I figured it would save me time and effort to ask.

I am getting ready to put my bike in storage ( heated) and I want to check battery fluid levels before I connect my battery charger to it for the winter.

What is the best way to access the battery and remove it

Thanks

Remove front part of seat unscrew spark plug wires from coils dissconect wires from coils undo the 2 bolts holding coils on & flip them back out of the way & presto theres your battery.

haynes has a very very nice walkthru too

So do you just leave the coils out of the way all winter while the charger is connected to the battery?

Speaking of which - I have to pick up a trickle charger.
Never stored a bike yet.

I will be also be storing her in a cold garage - so I am going to have to take some care to do it properly.

The trickle charger should have a pigtail with it, connect one end to the battery, on the other end is a plug that mates with the charger wire. Hide the pigtail wire and plug behind the left side cover when not in use, and button the coil wires and bracket back up.

Do you keep the charge pigtails on all the time or just during the winter storage?

leave the tail tucked under the cover full time, I plug my battery tender in just during winter storage, I also fill my tank to the top to prevent rust and drop in some Berrymans or Stabil to preserve the gas, run for several minutes to get it into the carbs and leave it. You'll have to turn the key and or start it every month to fill the carbs back up from evaporation. Others may have other ways to prepare for winter but Ive had good luck with this technique.

[/FONTE everyone has been so nice and helpful that I am willing to help out each and every northern brother that has contemplated "wintering" their bikes. Living in southwest Florida,winter is the ideal weather and thus. Upon recieving each of your bikes here at my residence, shall promise to ride your machines diligently throughout the winter and returning your Maxes with only the slightest of changes of the numerals on the round clock thingy. Again, I would not think of charging for this valuable service and hope that many of you take advantage of this service. Sincerely, your fellow VMaxer, Patmax

leave the tail tucked under the cover full time, I plug my battery tender in just during winter storage, I also fill my tank to the top to prevent rust and drop in some Berrymans or Stabil to preserve the gas, run for several minutes to get it into the carbs and leave it. You'll have to turn the key and or start it every month to fill the carbs back up from evaporation. Others may have other ways to prepare for winter but Ive had good luck with this technique.

OK a bit confused here, the charger I bought "battery Tender Jr" has the copper aligator claps ( mini jumper cable claps ) I don't see how you can leave those on all the time and just hide the pigtails.

I haven't looked yet but I can't imagine how I could even put the coils back with them connected during the winter.

I've never done this before so it's all new to me I have always stored my bike in my cold garage and never ad any problems ( that I know of ) but this year I am putting in a heated storage.

Maybe I need more details becasue I am missing something here.. I am also putting Seafoam in my gas, I should turn the key every month or so to fill the carb bowls?

Thanks

OK a bit confused here, the charger I bought "battery Tender Jr" has the copper aligator claps ( mini jumper cable claps ) I don't see how you can leave those on all the time and just hide the pigtails.

I haven't looked yet but I can't imagine how I could even put the coils back with them connected during the winter.

I've never done this before so it's all new to me I have always stored my bike in my cold garage and never ad any problems ( that I know of ) but this year I am putting in a heated storage.

Maybe I need more details becasue I am missing something here.. I am also putting Seafoam in my gas, I should turn the key every month or so to fill the carb bowls?

Thanks

The Battery Tender usually comes with the attachment on the right, in the picture. You attach that to the battery and the Tender plugs into the attachment on it.

Attachments

• Battery_Tender_Junior.jpg
    Battery_Tender_Junior.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 7
If it was me, I would simply remove the battery from the bike and put it on a shelf with the tender. That way you can also keep a close eye on the electrolyte levels - if they go below the plates the battery will die, tender or not.

If it was me, I would simply remove the battery from the bike and put it on a shelf with the tender. That way you can also keep a close eye on the electrolyte levels - if they go below the plates the battery will die, tender or not.

Thanks for everyone who answered my question. I bought the battery tender jr but I haven't even opend it yet so all I could see was the clips, in the picture I do see the other part that was mentioned eariler.

But thinking about it I think the last reply is best for me and I NEVER thought about it.

When I get to the storage place I'll have to get to the battery to connect the charger so why not just take the battery home with me and put it on my bench and attach the charger to it and keep my eyes on it .

Thanks

Thanks for everyone who answered my question. I bought the battery tender jr but I haven't even opend it yet so all I could see was the clips, in the picture I do see the other part that was mentioned eariler.

But thinking about it I think the last reply is best for me and I NEVER thought about it.

When I get to the storage place I'll have to get to the battery to connect the charger so why not just take the battery home with me and put it on my bench and attach the charger to it and keep my eyes on it .

Thanks
Only problem when taking the battery out is that you lose the ability to easily cycle the fuel pump to fill the fuel bowls. Battery tender is designed to maintain the battery for long periods of inactivity, it "keeps a eye" on your battery for you. It would be wise to check it as often as possible if only to just turn the key to fill the bowls.
I'm sure you'll want to check on you baby anyways!:biglaugh:

And another fine point......... ok now I will leave the battery in................lol

Back