any suggestions for boots

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
Looking for a new pair of boots for this summer. Something that's sturdy enough to wear on the bike, but comfortable and tough enough to wear for 12 hours at work. So I can take the bike in and not need to change shoes. Work requires an over-the-ankle shoe. After looking at the paper, it doesn't specifically say steel toe, so maybe not.

I have a pair of Rocky alpha force boots, which are super comfy, but they're waterproof and don't breathe much, my feet sweat like a mofo in them. Good for winter but that's it.

I kind of like side-zip but it's not essential. Looked at a few by Wellco, 5.11, Rocky, Blackhawk that all look similar. Most have a safety toe version. Any experiences or preferences among those, or any other suggestions?

Can't you just leave a pr. @ work & ride-in on something comfortable?

I like Alpinestars footwear (2 pr. now) for mcy use but w/o searching I dunno about steel toes.

Get a pair of military style combat boots. Great for riding and relatively comfortable, affordable and durable. I wear bellevilles and find they are the best riding shoes I've owned

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

interesting thought on the bellevilles. i'll be watching this thread.

ryan bellevilles has some hot weather stuff.

Funny you should ask
c6e4ea4c-bc54-f59b.jpg
c6e4ea4c-bc6f-0167.jpg

Alpinestars. Walk all day comfort. Hardened in all the right places. Not super lightweight which is good, decent ankle height.

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

Looking for a new pair of boots for this summer. Something that's sturdy enough to wear on the bike, but comfortable and tough enough to wear for 12 hours at work. So I can take the bike in and not need to change shoes. Work requires an over-the-ankle shoe. After looking at the paper, it doesn't specifically say steel toe, so maybe not.

I have a pair of Rocky alpha force boots, which are super comfy, but they're waterproof and don't breathe much, my feet sweat like a mofo in them. Good for winter but that's it.

I kind of like side-zip but it's not essential. Looked at a few by Wellco, 5.11, Rocky, Blackhawk that all look similar. Most have a safety toe version. Any experiences or preferences among those, or any other suggestions?

Red Wing has always been my favorite, because of comfort, toughness, and ankle protection. Great for riding, and work too. Engineer boots might not suit the younger guys, but I love them. They wear in, and it's like just socks on. But, like I said, younger riders, I don't see them on them much? Lot's of choices now, unlike years ago.
Steve

Get a pair of military style combat boots. Great for riding and relatively comfortable, affordable and durable. I wear bellevilles and find they are the best riding shoes I've owned

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I use Zippered Combat Boots. Made for troops to wear for long periods...

I just use my normal boots (I am in the army) And have really had little reason to buy boots specificly for riding so I would suggest the military style boots, save yourself a lot of money avoiding name brand bike boots.

Bates Tactical boots are what I use, like the ones the cops and EMT's use, about 7" tops and lace up but with a side zipper so you can get 'em on and off quick.

Tennis shoe comfort but boot like protection.....

About $100-120 usually, Academy sometimes has them....

I was leaning toward a "tactical"/ military style boot, my Alpha Force boots were a "patrol" boot, so I guess for cops and such. Well padded and sturdy, just too hot to wear in the summer.

Right now I'm wearing a pair of GI army surplus boots I picked up for $20 brand new. They're not bad, but the leather in the heel wore through and curled up, which rubs the hell out of the back of my foot. They're fairly heavy and the upper is just thin canvas which doesn't really give any support.

I'll check out Belleville's.

SpecOps, what boot specifically do you wear?

These are made by Martino, a Canadian company, and sold under the "Roadchrome" brand. Martino # 10713.
This is my second pair. The first pair lasted eight seasons. Very durable and comfortable. The soles are a soft compound, really grip the asphalt at stops.
If you do a lot of walking at your workplace, these may not be the best, because of the soft soles, which wear quickly. But ideal for biking!
Cheers!

Attachments

• P1010783.jpg
    P1010783.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 17
  • P1010784.jpg
    P1010784.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 15
  • P1010785.jpg
    P1010785.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 12
Bates Tactical boots are what I use, like the ones the cops and EMT's use, about 7" tops and lace up but with a side zipper so you can get 'em on and off quick.

Tennis shoe comfort but boot like protection.....

About $100-120 usually, Academy sometimes has them....

X2 That's what I wear year round. Composite toe, zip up side, light weight, comfy. Can't think of anything I don't like about them.

I use these in summer all the time at work . Great comfortable pair of boots and they breathe well. I love my A-Stars one on one boots.

Attachments

• 2010-Alpinestars-One-O-One-Riding-Shoes-Black1.jpg
    2010-Alpinestars-One-O-One-Riding-Shoes-Black1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 11
I go 12+ hrs a day at work with boots on. Typically wear them everywhere once i get home too. Ive had a bunch of differnt brands. I really like carolina. Current set is going on 3 years old and still in great shape. Cant say the same thing about rocky or wolverine, or a lot of other popular work boots. Only downside is that they take a long time to break in and get comfy. But, once they do, they feel great.

My current boots were on sale for $90 at the boot shop.

I dunno about the steel-toe part, but I like my Georgia Boot Co. over-the-ankle boots. They were quick to break-in and actually, I think they are among the best footwear I have ever owned. They are 6" from inside the boot to the top. Probably close to 8" if you measure from the ground.

I like Wolverine, have had them, like Frye, but the GA Boot Co. boots didn't even need break-in but offered great ankle support, great tough sole, lots of strength at the welt (reinforced), just a well-built boot.

I like Red Wings boots, slip ons. For my lace up boots I wear Danner or Red Wings. To me they feel great the moment I put them on.

What works best for me is a good pair of hiking boots. Covers the ankle for protection, but comfortable enough to wear several hours after riding all day. That's what I wore last summer on a 10-day trip from CA through Glacier Park, into Canada and back. Comfortable the whole way.

I wear Wolverine CarbonMAX safety toe work boot for work. They are water proof, have a stiff sole and are comfortable fitting hiking style boot. I quite often end up riding a couple hundred miles after work which I feel these work good for this.
WBS-W2363-031709.jpg

On longer trips or when I'm going for a ride from home I put on my Alipinestars Ridge Waterproof touring boot which has a stiff sole and toe protection and are mid calf high.
2011-Alpinestars-Ridge-Waterproof-Boot-Black.jpg

They work ok but I am looking for a boot that has more protection for the heel/ shin area in addition to a stiff sole/ toe protection and I'm liking the TCX S-sportour boot. Being a diabetic I need to have the best foot protection I can.
S_SPORTOUR_WP_BLK_7618.jpg

If you know your size, keep an eye on Ebay for some newer-used armored MC boots. You never know when you'll need the protection around your feet.

I've thoroughly used up a pair of Danner gore-tex combat boots, including a low-side about 8 years back. Slow, too hot in a corner on old tires and the bike slid out, crunching my foot and ankle. Took a long time to recover.

So combat or hiking boots are definitely better than shoes, but they dont have shin, toe, heel, but mainly ankle protection (armor). I have a pair of Sidi and a pair of Alpinestars boots I use all the time riding - even short haul. Then a pair of regular shoes left at work.

I wear Wolverine Multshoks on the property, all day comfort and they take serious abuse. Logging, land clearing, mowing the marsh with a push mower:damn angry:. I guess you could ride in them, my fear, if you go down these would be ripped right off your foot.

For years I rode in cowboy boots due to the short toe box, makes shifting very easy. After a buddy got hit by a deer on the pig trail last year and almost lost his big toe, I decided I need a lot more protection and have upgraded to Alpine Stars touring boots. I love the stars for protection, warmth, and waterproofing, but riding in boots with a taller toe has taken some getting used to.

I would steer clear of lace up boots, the asphalt rips through his laces instantly and now you are barefoot sliding down the rode. Same goes for slip ons without some kind of strap. I for one now wear walking boots for walking and riding boots for riding.

Back