Anyone ever do a frame swap??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will not be terrible. I've not done it, but I have pulled and replaced my engine... and pretty much every other part at some point. Once you start taking stuff apart, I think the biggest pain is gonna be just plugging stuff back together. There are probably three or four guys on here with good frames that you could pick up, too.

Thanks Dave, I think finding a 06-07 frame with a clear title would be the hardest part.

I never did a frame swap but, have had it down to the bare frame for the most part. Not much to it. Tearing it apart can be done in a day. Pulling the motor is the hardest part and its really not that hard. Take pictures along the way. Bag and label parts. Par attention to hose/cable/wire routing and you'll be fine.

No need for it to be a 06 or 07. All that stuff will go onto any year frame.

Yes thanks, I know what frames will work. Just want an 05-06 0r 07 in mint shape with paperwork.

A replacement frame from Yamaha does not come stamped or with a MSO (manufacturers statement of origin) for all you guys that never build from frame up. All the Harley aftermarket frame builders have MSO paperwork.
Every state is different in what they require to title/retitle a vehicle. If in Florida, once it has a "CD" certificate of destruction, it can never be re titled.
That being said, I have an NOS frame on hand.

I have a number of frames available though not that year range. Having said that. Are your concerns simply the dings in the frame? Odds are they are not going to impact the bikes rideability or even safety. The common dinged areas are where the tabs break on the lower triple allowing the steering to over travel and ding the frame. Other areas are by the lower curvature if it had engine gaurds on it. Again nothing I'd sweat. Finally, the other common area of damage is the mounting flanges where the driver peg brackets bolt to the frame. Even that area can be improvisionally repaired.

Post up pics and i'll give you my opinion.

Personally, I'd look at 2 options:

1) Buy a frame from Sean - easiest path as I'm sure he carefully checks the welds & such. If you want it like new, he could bead blast & have it PC'd/painted for you.

2) Buy used yourself - If you have access to a compressor you could bead blast yourself ($50 for a Speed Blaster & $50 for medium) and then carefully check all welds & such (flashlights work wonders)...then you could paint yourself or send out for PC (unless you can do yourself).

Either way I'd personally strip down the used frame and check everything - I mean what the hell, that would be the best opportunity to do it & you'd have the pristine frame you want.

Or...just buy a new one...but I like the above options better...

Here are a few pics. The first 2 pics are just above the battery where the subframe welds to the mainframe. It is pushed in about 3/8 inch but that is just a guestimate.

3rd pic is just under the swingarm bolt. You can se the paint chipped. Its the same on both sides.

4th pic is the scoop. Notice how the scoop is almost touching the airbox cover near the rear and the gap gets bigger as you move to the front? Supposed to be an even gap that whole distance. Same on both sides

Frame is tweaked perfectly even on both sides. Previous owner was at a stop light and got rear ended. He never even dropped the bike.

Just curious...how does the bike handle?

Yea. that sucks. Probably time for another frame. Patmax has that new one and I have a few good used frames for relatively cheap if you don't mind the title saying it's an older Vmax. I have a 2005 engine in my 85.

Time to ditch that frame. Our bikes are up against it even with a good frame.
They aren't hard to come by though. I have an 85, and looking at it there seems to be no damage. But the engine case was welded around the oil filter housing and front wheel out of true. I'll bet there was a story there? Maybe a suspension collapse after a huge wheelie? No way I'd use it without having it jig checked. But with shipping and labor, I'd be more inclined to buy one from Sean or Pat. It might be useful for just test running a used engine now.

Not sure, Just bought it last week and have not had a chance to ride it yet. Was only 4 degrees for a high today.... I pretty much bought it sight unseen because it was so cheap. I definitely won't do a frame swap till I ride it and see how it runs and rides.

Regardless how it rides biff the frame, it's toast.
Getting another frame lets you start from scratch by stripping it all down and repainting anything thats needs doing and putting back together a decent bike that will look great for the next xxx years.

Latest posts

Back