Anyone know of a source for metric bolts?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dezeez

Reaction score
I just installed handlebar risers on my other bike and the bolts that came with them are too short. I need four M8x1.25x70mm cap (hex) head bolts and none of my usual sources have them. Nobody wants to special order only four bolts, either.

Yes, I can order them online but $20+ with shipping for four bolts is a little hard to swallow. Anybody know where to find them at a reasonable price?

I just installed handlebar risers on my other bike and the bolts that came with them are too short. I need four M8x1.25x70mm cap (hex) head bolts and none of my usual sources have them. Nobody wants to special order only four bolts, either.

Yes, I can order them online but $20+ with shipping for four bolts is a little hard to swallow. Anybody know where to find them at a reasonable price?

there's a few local ace HW stores around here, but one has a massive metric section... if not that, does any local stores have the ability to make them?

there's a few local ace HW stores around here, but one has a massive metric section... if not that, does any local stores have the ability to make them?

The local Ace hardware is my usual source for metric bolts but no luck on this size. I don't know of any hardware store that makes bolts.

Might want to try a local machine shop. If they don't have any, maybe they could make you some.

Ace Hardware, Loews, have metric hardware.

Local Hardware also carry metric, its not uncommon to find metric bolts.
I even have a great selection of chrome metric hardware at my local hardware store. If your local loews / homedepot doesnt carry them find the store manager if they can stock them, if he doesnt want to do it ask for the regional managers contact information.

Just a note, for serious applications, i.e., stuff that holds your bike together, Stainless Steel is bung. They alloys you are likely to get when you buy a quality chromed bolt are far superior. Fact is stainless is soft and it's always going to be.

For price reference, I paid about $4 a bolt when replacing my clamp bolts as described, altho no shipping, as we have an excellent specialty co nearby.

Like everything else, you get what you pay for.

You can always call my local, King Bolt and ask them to ship. They specialize in high quality racing hardware, SAE and Met.

I feel your pain. I live just south of Atlanta, Lowes Home Depot , Ace Hardware, none of them have squat for metric.

I used Fastenal for my last order. Shipping is decent.

I'll check today to see if I have a 4. Let you know this evening. If I don't here's a link to McMaster Carr. Looks like you'll have to buy 10, but the price is less than 20.00. Make sure you have enough thread....their not fully threaded. They are stainless. http://www.mcmaster.com/#91292a211/=njjsd

McMaster Carr, Grainger, and Fastenal are national chain stores for contractors that will have what you want. Often their prices are higher than a store that specializes in just fasteners because these stores are like a convenience store for contractors.

I would suggest you get on the internet and go to yahoo yellow pages or local and do a search for fasteners or even refine it to metric fasteners. In my line of work we buy a lot of nuts and bolts and screws. When I first started here I was surprised to find 3 different stores within 10 miles of our shop that specialized in fasteners. I never even knew they existed till I started working here. Their prices are MUCH cheaper than the local ACE, HD, Lowes, or the above 3 that cater to contractors. One of the places I found actually specializes in nothing but metric hardware. It called Metric Screw & Fastener.
http://www.metricsaf.com/index.php
They are 15 minutes away from our shop. You never know what you might find.

If yo go to McMaster Carr set aside some time. They have a ton of bolts(and other stuff too) to look at, nicely sectioned and fairly easy to find considering all that they have.

Being that your in Lancaster I would, next time, check out the local cabinet shops. Being a former cabinet maker we always had plenty of nuts and bolts standard and metric. I bet most would help you out ordering a few also that way you might not have to order a bunch.

I just got done setting up another kit for the engine mounting bolts and already have a complete kit available for the engine covers (they are correcting some errors in the cover kit right now). You can either buy direct or from me. Gardner Westcott. The engine mount kit is probably not in the catalog yet since I just received the first kit to verify they are right. The bolts have some different heads on them but should still look good.

Any other "kits" or bolts that anyone would want? Had them send a sample for rotor bolts but they sent the wrong thread size.

Sean

Back