Anyone with a 200 rear tire having any issues??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckzx9

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of carrezzera rims this winter got a knotched and braced swing arm and the tire is rubbing on both sides of swing arm and my center stand. Just wondering what brand of tires everyone is using with the 200. I'm using the metzler 200/50/18. I also had to replace mud guard I thought is loosened so I changed it today and it hit again.
Is it ok that I am rubbing? Or should I be worried about something bad happening. I also put progressive springs in forks lowered 1 inch. I had 412's on rear but I took my wife out yesterday and over a few bumps we were rubbing in the wheel well. My wife is 5'0 110 lbs and we ride 2up all the time and its never happened before. So I took off the 412's today and put factory shocks back on.
I'm at my whitts end. I'm hoping someone can guide me in the right direction here. If this tire wasn't brand new I would put a 190 on there. I'm just so frustrated right now. (Anyone want to buy a Vmax :bang head:)

I don't think they got 190 for 18 inch wheel, last time I check anyway, I got the same wheel and had a 180 metzler on mine and it was larger than my 180 avon currently on the bike, I think they could be a little different between brand. Maybe your swingarm was not notch for a 200, when I order mine they ask me what tire size I was gonna put, the swingarm was extended and notch for a 200 wich will be on there as soon as I'm done with the 180.

I don't think they got 190 for 18 inch wheel, last time I check anyway, I got the same wheel and had a 180 metzler on mine and it was larger than my 180 avon currently on the bike, I think they could be a little different between brand. Maybe your swingarm was not notch for a 200, when I order mine they ask me what tire size I was gonna put, the swingarm was extended and notch for a 200 wich will be on there as soon as I'm done with the 180.

I was knotched for a 200. I wish you lived closer I would trade you lol. I'm just hoping it not dangerous. Steve O is coming over this week to see if there is anything to do about it. I'm just disappointed. The bike looks badass but I know there is a problem. Plus my buddy just bought a Suzuki M109 and it is badass. If I didn't spend so much money on the Vmax this year I would sell it and get a new M109 but I will never sell her now. Just trying to talk my wife into letting me get a 2nd bike. That's not oing very well lmao :biglaugh:

Was it notched for a 17" wheel or an 18" wheel? 18" wheel goes further into the swingarm where it is narrower. Might not have been notched enough. :ummm:

im in the same boat Mark. I have a double notched and braced swingarm that was meant for a 200, and I have tried every type of tire out there and mine has a slight rub too. I think I will drop down to a 190 from here on out, but out of all the tires that rubbed I never had a problem. it drives me crazy cause I want that 200 and I keep thinking maybe this brand wont rub but it does. :damn angry:

I run an Avon 200/55-18 on an RC wheel. Home notched swing arm. No width problems. Ran a 200/55-18 before that no width problems either.

Your shocks shouldn't effect rubbing whatsoever on the Carcass width...as far as bottoming out or rubbing on the circumference yeah that could be shocks, but if I remember the numbers correctly I don't think a 200/50-18 is any taller than stock or at least its real close.
When I ran a 200/55-18 I think it was taller than stock and looked it but it did not rub on the circumference either, but I'm running good shocks and a totally different tail with no inner fender liner so not a good comparison there.

Note, every tire is a little different even if listed same size. Most mfg's will put up the true numbers, some don't.
Plus the wheel width can change the carcass width on the tire when mounted. I don't know how wide my wheel is, whatever UFO recommended at least and I remember checking to see that it was within the listed acceptable widths for a 200 tire.

That little raised bead of rubber that's the further most out point width wise on some tires??...........I don't think its a big deal to trim that off if that's all that's rubbing.....just use a super sharp razor, do a neat continuous job of it and perhaps have the balance checked when your done.
I had to do this on a 130 front radial when I put an aftermarket front fender that rubbed a bit (it didn't rub with the stock fender)

When I notched mine I was surprised how little it can REALLY be notched. My driveshaft is only a few thousandths away from the inside wall, and if I hadn't done it that way 200 might not have fit.

Im Running Shinko Verge 011 200/50/18 on a RC wheel 6.25 with a braced swingarm I did myself and one sided notch I did .. no side problems at all maybe 1/4 clearance on both sides but did barely rub the mud guard on the right side but that was with 2 up riding and stock shocks.. I just dropped to 11.5 progressive 418 and they are a lot stiffer gona trim the mud guard just incase.:confused2:

200/50-18 Shinko verge on a 6" Kosman welded stock wheel here. I had to notch the hell out of mine and offset the wheel 1/4" to the right but it came out centered pretty well. I moved it by making a spacer to go under the cush drive, the pins go in plenty far to do this and I made a 1/4" spacer to take up the space between the differential and the wheel and eliminated the snap ring but with the spacers everything is preloaded so it can't move. Had to mill the caliper bracket 1/4" as well but everything lines up nice. Like I said I notched it deep like Rusty said, you have to use a stock driveshaft because it's so close a sportmax shaft won't clear.. Mine is close but doesn't rub anywhere, I also repositioned my shocks and had to use 11.5" because I fitted my nitrous bottle between the tire and the tank so I had to lay it out to where the shocks would completely bottom out before anything would hit.. I did all this myself and really took my time but I've got probably 6000-8000 miles on it and nothing has ever bottomed out or rubbed anywhere.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367889397317.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367889397317.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 46
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367889426062.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367889426062.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 55
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367889491542.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367889491542.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 47
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367889520337.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367889520337.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 45
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367889559293.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367889559293.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 45
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367889581577.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367889581577.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 44
Some rubbing won't hurt much at all. The 200 is a very big tire and the metzler are among the widest in any given size. Lowering does affect it somewhat and of course more with the passenger since it's dipping harder on bumps. Other then the grinding on the guard I don't know i'd sweat it. Look at the tread on the tire and it should only be rubbing on the edge where the side meets up with the tread area and flares out.

Some rubbing won't hurt much at all. The 200 is a very big tire and the metzler are among the widest in any given size. Lowering does affect it somewhat and of course more with the passenger since it's dipping harder on bumps. Other then the grinding on the guard I don't know i'd sweat it. Look at the tread on the tire and it should only be rubbing on the edge where the side meets up with the tread area and flares out.

Yeah that's exactly where it is rubbing. It's also rubbing on the center stand but I guess I can just shave some off of that. Do you think me lowing the front springs 1inch and doing rims at the same time that it causing my problem with rubbing? I was also getting a almost a wobble at 90mph plus. After I changed back to my stock springs I drove it home at about 120 and it was so much better. I might take out the 1inch lowering spring next.

Won't be a problem with the front end sitting like that. Make sure air pressure is good (38-40 on the rear). It's just a big ass tire!

I'm running 200/50 18 Shinko Verge 011, with an 3" extended/ notched/ braced swingarm and no rubbing on the tire. I have 13' shocks and it has hit my bolts closest to the lights on my plate.
I'm running an underslung brake arm with no washer on either side of the wheel. There is a good 1/4" on the drive side and probably an inch or slightly more on the brake side. If you zoom in on the second picture you can see the clearance but I think this is when I was still trying to fit the brake arm with the washer on.
IMG_1933.jpg IMG_1749.jpg

Brian I,wish I would have extended my swing arm now just 3inches and all these problems would go away. I was so stupid. If anyone is reading this and is thinking about changing there arm don't make the mistake I did. Get swing arm extended braced and notched. Spend the extra money.

Sean the pressure is good I checked it today. It was low a few weeks ago but I noticed it right away. Thanks though for the thought.

I'm running the 18" Carrs and Metzler 200/50zr18 with notched braced 3" stretch swingarm and no problems. It is close. Did you swap the washer from right to left? I had to swap. I am lowered 1inch front in the tree. Half inch rear and ride solo. Handles excellent!

I'm running the 18" Carrs and Metzler 200/50zr18 with notched braced 3" stretch swingarm and no problems. It is close. Did you swap the washer from right to left? I had to swap. I am lowered 1inch front in the tree. Half inch rear and ride solo. Handles excellent!

Yeah I'm going to look into that on Wednesday with Steve O. Like i said before I should've stretched it. I would have been so much happier. I'm going to look into 440 HD shocks if I can't figure this out. And if I still have problems she's going back to stock and I'm gonna sell all extras. Frame braces for brace rims fat max hard bags ,then I'm buying a fuel injected Suzuki M109 0% interest for 5 years. I don't want to do it but I'm in over my head right now. And I'm a little cranky and sleepy. I'm hoping steve o is gonna calm me down. Paxil isn't working right now :eusa_dance:

mark, why not just goto a 180 rear tire until you can get the swingarm extended maybe next winter, then put the 200 back on?

Sean dont take me the wrong way but for the money these cost I would NOT want any rubbing at all . I am actually surprised you even said that ??? You stand behind your work 100% if I am wrong by saying this I'm sorry maybe theres more to it than I am understanding?

Back