Back to a Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evenhanded

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm Rob, from Erie, PA and this is my second Vmax. I moved to Erie from NYC about two years ago and decided that having a brand new Road King Custom that only logged 500 miles per year wasn't a great way to manage my expenses. I sold it and looked for a bike that I thought I would enjoy, be cheap enough to not really hurt my wallet, and have character. Well the VMAX certainly fit the bill. It was actually the first bike to ever peak my interest back in High School when they first came out, so it drew me in right away. I found a 94 in yellow owned by an older gentleman who was an engineer. He took extremely good care of it and it looked brand new. I loved it, especially after I got used to the color. I was about to start tackling the handling upgrades and got distracted by what seemed like a million articles extolling the amazingness (I know not a word) of the Triumph Speed Triple. So I sold my perfect Vmax for about what I paid and got the Speedy. Now the Speedy was just as awesome as everyone claimed it was, but it just wasnt for me. I felt like a bear on a tricycle on it and even though it wasnt a sportbike it felt too much like one for me. It sounded awesome and got a million compliments - oh and it handled like a dream - but it just wasnt for me. So I got rid of it and went back to a Harley - a 2008 Super Glide Custom with a million extras on it and an incredible deal. It was everything I remebered and should have been great. I mean Super Glides are quicker than Road Kings, handle nicely, are comfortable, blah blah. But I was ruined for Harleys. After having a Vmax and a Speed Triple in between I just couldnt get that feeling back. Plus I'm not a "bike night at the beaver dam" kinda guy, so the whole "Harley Image" thing was wasted on me. I got ride of it and started looking for something I would actually keep and ride (1000 miles on the Road King in 2 yrs, 2000 miles on the VMax in 3 months, 500 miles on the Speedy in 3 months, umm 75 miles on the Super Glide in 6 months). So I looked for a Moto Guzzi Griso and came across my bike for the next decade, the one I just picked up on Saturday in Maryland. A 2000 Vmax, 10K miles, pretty stick. I've already put about 500 miles on it since I got back, and I'm loving it. I had Intiminators put it before I picked it up (love em) and am doing the Furbur Fix next week. I'm trying to decide between Kosman Radial rim adaptation or getting a better exhaust. leaning to the exhaust. Prolly going to go with UFO, may Holeshot or Kerker though. I like the 4-2. Sorry for the word explosion but I was bored. Anyway thanks and ride safe.

Welcome and enjoy!

Two things to remember...

UFO is a bad place to get vmax parts (imo) and Sean Morley at Morley's Muscle is awesome to deal with on vmax parts.

Check out the VMF links page for more great links!

Chris

I've read that the UFO guy has an attitude, but he's been very nice to me so far. Plus I live an hour or so away so that works for me too. Im more concerned about the quality of the pipes and how well they work. Do you think the UFO pipes are bad or just the business?

It looks good but will it blue?

Mine hasn't blue'd. Any single tube system will change color over time. Jetting has A LOT to do with that. If you have someone telling you theirs won't change color then either they make a dual tube setup (like stock) or they ceramic coat it, or they're lying to you.

Many do not make the dual tube setup and I don't think ANY make one for the max.

Chris

Mine hasn't blue'd. Any single tube system will change color over time. Jetting has A LOT to do with that. If you have someone telling you theirs won't change color then either they make a dual tube setup (like stock) or they ceramic coat it, or they're lying to you.

Many do not make the dual tube setup and I don't think ANY make one for the max.

Chris

The black ceramic ones on my '99 even turned a little bit brownish, not really noticeable unless you saw them new, but still......

We sell the Kerker's (at one of the best prices you will find). Coupled with it and one of our jet kits you'd have about as good as you can get with a stock engine. Most of the other brands of headers work well too though some of the lower HP bikes had the UFO dragstar on them. Not sure if it was an inferior header or just that bike?? No back to back tests to make a good comparison (and as far as I can see not even back to back tests from them). EVERY header will turn color. Bluing is usually on mild steel and uncoated or chromed pipes. A ceramic (or Jet Hot) will dull a bit from being shiny silver but usually not blue out. Many aftermarket systems are now made from stainless and will turn golden brown over time. All of these pipes can have the original color returned with various products applied to them.

Oh, and there is nothing to "Furbur Fix" if your steering head bearings are in good condition to begin with.

Sean Morley

Hey thanks for all the feedback. I'm leaning toward the Marks or the Kerker through Morleys muscle.

The only downfall to the Kerker in my opinion is the loss of the center stand.....

I use my center stand a lot and would hate to lose it........for most folks it doesn't seem to be an issue....

$0.02 deposited

Latest posts

Back