Battery being drained

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, Hiney Buster you are incorrect and talking out your ass before performing this test. Anyone else who doesnty believe this is an accurate way to test for battery drain...

Perform it and report back to me..

Remove the positive cable from your battery.
Place a DMM (Digital Multi Meter) even a 12VDC test light will work..
Place the DMM or test light between the cable and positive terminal.

Key off 0VDC Test light bulb not lit. (No drain)
Key on and tell me what you see..

Dont correct me unless you are positive, or your just talking out of your ass.

Only thing I know about electricity is: Hot's on the left, Cold's on the right. :biglaugh:

So I tried this battery drain test-disconnected the positive battery cable and hooked a 12 VDC test light between the cable end and pos. battery terminal.
Key off-no light
Key on-test light lit.
I guess this would mean that with the key off and the test light off there is no battery drain. With the key on and the test light lit there is a drain, prolly for the headlight, guages & ignition, right?

You got it. You can do the same test with the negative side I believe. Measure amps too.

Only thing I know about electricity is: Hot's on the left, Cold's on the right. :biglaugh:

So I tried this battery drain test-disconnected the positive battery cable and hooked a 12 VDC test light between the cable end and pos. battery terminal.
Key off-no light
Key on-test light lit.
I guess this would mean that with the key off and the test light off there is no battery drain. With the key on and the test light lit there is a drain, prolly for the headlight, guages & ignition, right?

That is correct Danny!
It just pisses me off when someone tells me I am wrong due to what they think and not based on opinion. I could see if Buster started his post with In my opinion I dont see this working..........................
The reason I posted this test procedure is the subject name was "Battery being drained"

Apoligy accepted...
Question me dont correct me with inaccurate information.

That is correct Danny!
It just pisses me off when someone tells me I am wrong due to what they think and not based on opinion. I could see if Buster started his post with In my opinion I dont see this working..........................
The reason I posted this test procedure is the subject name was "Battery being drained"

Apoligy accepted...
Question me dont correct me with inaccurate information.

Damn Lankee.... a little grouchy today?

I don't think you were this pissed off when the guy pointed a 45 at you!

Anyway, don't let your head get too big, or this could happen....

aboutUs.jpg

Dont kick the sleeping dog:sleep:, you wont like when he wakes up early drinking coffee and reads some BS questioning my technical abilities:boxing00:.
If your going to correct me be damn sure you are correct or else start it IMO

Funny I was just thinking the same.. Lee did you just find out that freaky chick actually has balls? :rofl_200::biglaugh::rofl_200:

Nope she doesnt have any balls just a few tatoos, but I am sure if she rode the VMAX her balls would come out bigger than yours!
Buster, don't you have a 'rude bitch' award? Lankee's up 4 it :clapping:

Buster is to busy out buying a multi meter so can he can do this test.

I guess I am behind on technology. (I don't even carry a cell phone yet) My test meter has no light, only a digital readout showing voltage, or amps, depending upon the test setting chosen. It doesn't speak to me, light the way, or show me where I'm at via GPS either. I guess I'll have to go down to the automotive store, or Radio Shack, and check out this new fangled way of testing wiring.

Forgive me if I helped to rile anyone with a short temper. If you were anywhere near this side of Missouri, I'd offer to buy the next round of burritos, complete with a side of cinnamon twists.

Please accept my most humble appology.

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

I guess I am behind on technology. (I don't even carry a cell phone yet) My test meter has no light, only a digital readout showing voltage, or amps, depending upon the test setting chosen. It doesn't speak to me, light the way, or show me where I'm at via GPS either. I guess I'll have to go down to the automotive store, or Radio Shack, and check out this new fangled way of testing wiring.

Forgive me if I helped to rile anyone with a short temper. If you were anywhere near this side of Missouri, I'd offer to buy the next round of burritos, complete with a side of cinnamon twists.

Please accept my most humble appology.

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Thats a deal I will bring you a Digital Multi Meter and go over it with you along with an ice cold one:cheers:
You didnt start nothing, I am over it. Buster Should have known better to question me... Its all good!

Ya have any deer up there in your backyard that I can blow up:ummm:

Deer you ask. Oh, I have 10 acres of deer. Clipped a bambi on the hind leg with the Vmax about a year ago down on the road going to work about this time last year. Thank god for good brakes.

First year out here, (7 yr ago) I was on my knees late one Dec evening with a flashlight on the ground and replacement mini bulbs in one hand, tester in the other hand trying to get Frostie The Snow Man christmas decor to light properly, when I heard a commotion behind me. I realized both the dogs were over by the house and then wondered what was up behind me. I grabbed the flashlight, stood and turned around. Must have startled the 12 or so deer walking up on me as bad as they startled me. 4 or 5 of them snorted as the whole herd stampeded to my left. BOY!, I thought I'd been had. Never heard them snorting that close before. I think I pooped.

Deer are getting to be a nuisance around here. If I were inclined, I could fill a tag or two from my back deck. For that matter, I could fill a tag from the front door, garage door, basement door, etc. We have a couple guys bow hunt from a tree back by the woods on occasion. The neighbors are always blasting away from beyond the tree line.

Trouble is, we never see antlers bigger than a very small 6 points, and even then, you have to strain your eyes to realize it's a 6, and not a 4 pointer. Far too many 'big game hunters' in our neck of the woods to allow any large antlers to form. I don't think any buck ever makes it to two years old around here.

We are located 10 minutes south of Joplin IF you ever get over this far. PM me before hand and maybe we could arrange something. I don't hunt personally anymore (squeamish around that much blood), but I DO like that summer sausage.

:punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk:

To check for a drain......

Take Key Out of ignition.
Remove the positive battery cable.
Place a multi meter in between the cable and the + battery post. Giv me a VDC? doesnt matter which lead is where just place between the cable and battery post. if you dont have a meter you can use a 12VDC test light

If you have VDC in this state.. start removing fuses one by one until the VDC goes to 0VDC and than start tracing what is on that fuse link

Not saying this method doesn't work, I just don't understand HOW it works. I can't figure out how you will get a VDC reading with both test leads on just the positive side of the batt. Thought you would never see V without testing + with one lead and - with the other. Can anyone explain why this works from an electrical point of view? Just curious. And what is a high enough reading to start worring about finding the draw? >0.2VDC

Not saying this method doesn't work, I just don't understand HOW it works. I can't figure out how you will get a VDC reading with both test leads on just the positive side of the batt. Thought you would never see V without testing + with one lead and - with the other. Can anyone explain why this works from an electrical point of view? Just curious. And what is a high enough reading to start worring about finding the draw? >0.2VDC

It works because you're not connecting both test leads to the positive side.

One test lead goes to the positive on the battery. The other lead goes on the wires that would usually connect to the positive side. As they are now disconnected, they effectively become the negative, as they are connected through all the wiring to the other side of the battery - the negative!

With the key turned off you should see 0 Volt - there isn't supposed to be any contact. When you turn the key on, contact is made and it should read about 12 Volts. If there's a reading with the key off, something's wrong and a drain is occurring.

Makes more sense now?

I just got a new digital multimeter and did the drain test with it. It shows .04 vdc I left it connected (one lead to the pos bat terminal, the other to the pos cable) and pulled and replaced all 4 fuses-one at a time. The .04 stayed the whole time. Is .04 enough to be considered a drain? Thanks for everyones help.

Try unplugging the key switch connector and starter relay. Another possibility is R/R. Unplug the R/R red wire connection to harness.

I unplugged the red r/r wire and I get 0 on multimeter. I plugged the red r/r wire back in and I get .3 to .4. Does this mean some kind of short in the r/r? Thanks

Maybe. Could be grounding past that at stator too. You can try unplugging the stator to R/R connector to see what happens.

Unplugged the stator, still get .03 when the red R/R wire is plugged in. I am going to just buy a new R/R and hope that fixes it. Thanks for all the help!

Latest posts

Back