Best coolant?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcoop99

Reaction score
What is the best to use for my '89? Thanks!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

lotsa folks use the red toyota stuff.

personally i just use the green ethylene glycol stuff.

as long as its ok for aluminum. no worries.

just best not to mix em.

:punk: Hey, I only use Valvoline products in all my vehicles and have had no problems. Zerex Asian is made by Valvoline and works well. their motorcycle oil works great with this bike also. Good Luck, Spurs

Thanks guys. I have some Toyota red stuff and wanted to make sure it was OK.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

That's what I used in that bike Kyle. Worked great!

If you don't use pre-mix, get a known good water supply or buy distilled water. I think a good clean system with good components (thermostat, fan sender or switch, drain valve in the correct position) is more important than the brand of anti-freeze. +1 for long life types, and for aluminum engines too. There are good threads here on flushing the system.
Steve-o

The best coolant is...

..water!

(with just enough auto coolant concentrate for freezing protection and lubrication, depending on your weather. And the water is best distilled too)

I started to use green prestone pre mixed with good results here despite the hot temperature. I noticed it cools down pretty fast.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

(with just enough auto coolant concentrate for freezing protection and lubrication, depending on your weather. And the water is best distilled too)

Water is the cooling agent of coolant so yes this is correct, but you should only use distilled water - tap can have loads of mineral content and other junk you do not want in there. It's not just a preference of... it's very important to only use distilled.

Aside from mentioned benefits the coolant also has some anti-oxidization properties so it's best not to run with just water for a significant length of time.

There's not much benefit to using mostly water unless you have a seriously hot running bike, which means bigger/different problems than coolant type. There are some steep disadvantages to using only water though.

Been useing Prestone for aluminum block engine in my bike for over 25 yrs + distilled water when I change the coolant every 2yrs. I use a coolant tester to make sure I have enough anti-freeze for my reigion/temps. Never had build up in the radiator or a leak from hose.

Regular "green" coolant is usually good for 50-60k miles in cars, or the long life stuff is often over 100k service intervals.

No reason it wouldn't last that long in a bike also, so changing it every year or two seems a bit silly. Creates a lot of unnecessary waste of a highly toxic substance.

Pop your rad cap....if it's brightly colored and clear, you're fine. Forget about it.

Regular "green" coolant is usually good for 50-60k miles in cars, or the long life stuff is often over 100k service intervals.

No reason it wouldn't last that long in a bike also, so changing it every year or two seems a bit silly. Creates a lot of unnecessary waste of a highly toxic substance.

Pop your rad cap....if it's brightly colored and clear, you're fine. Forget about it.
If I change my coolant every 50K , according to your recomendation of even changing it every 50K, that means I have until 2068 until I have to worry about changing it . I only have 17,000 miles on the 1985 bike. Nah, I'm gonna be silly and pollute the world.

I broke down and bought some royal purple "purple ice" for this new motor since it definitely runs hotter than the old one. Like way to effin hot to be a daily rider.

It for sure got the temps back into the manageable range, so I am a believer.

As far as "coolant" just a small dash (maybe a 20% antifreeze, 80% water, not counting what I drained to add the purple ice) of the regular old Preston's green stuff.

Latest posts

Back