Best Way To Remove These Kinds of Screws?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick.

Reaction score
I'm in need of some help... Every carb top on my bike has a screw that looks like this...
ZineStuff908.jpg

How the heck do I get those out? I was thinking of drilling it out but then the little voice in my mind said no. Are there bits I could get to remove these? If so, what are they called?

Is it a Torx screw? That tit in the middle is throwing me off - does it stick out as far as the rest of the head?

you can get that torx tool, its called a tamper prof screw. should be able to get it at any tool place. we get them from canadian tire stores, cheap to get the hole set. if not then either carefully drill your torx bit or use pliers and replace with a allen head bolt.

Or go to a stealership and ask them to crack it loose for you. Take 4 new screws that AREN'T tamper-proof with you and replace the current ones with the new ones so you won't have this problem again in the future.

That is a 'security torx' screw. Ace hardware or Sears hardware stores have bits that fit in a 1/4 inch socket or tool to remove them.

my local h/w stores did NOT have them. i believe its a T25 torx security bit if i'm not mistaken.

i had to use the vice grips.

i had thought about using some quick dry epoxy and a sacrificial bit, but didn't think i could be that clean with it.

If you get a cheap non hardened Torx driver, you can drill the hole in it yourself.

I got tired of using vice grips to remove those batards:bang head: so I just replaced them all and the bowl caps with alen head screws and now no more headaches.:eusa_dance:
<<Dave>>:punk:

a lot of the times , if you have the wright size torx , but its not a tamper proof , you can take a small punch and smash down that little center piece that keeps the torx socket from going in !

I'll try the vice tomorrow before I goto work. It'll save me the money of buying those tamper torques

Yes, had the pleasure of removing those recently on my 88 bike. Vice grips did the job and I had great delight in throwing the little phukers in the rubbish bin and replacing all of them with cap screws.

Well, you have your answer already, but I'll note that I've snapped torx driver bits trying to get these stupid things out before. Then you just end up using vice grips anyway.

Don't drill it though. You could mess up the threads when vice grips will take it out easily if you don't have the right bit.

Either way, but a proper bolt in there that matches the others.

Yeah, thats the best way to remove those shitty screws.
I have very specific pliers and they look similar to vice grips.
I've never met any bolt/screw that could stand against that pliers :punk:

Last edited:
I used vice grips with a pipe wrench on the handle of the VG's. It gave me more control over the torque on the head. Came out very easy.

Just be real careful if you replace the screws with allen head screws: the allen head screws make it real easy to apply a lot of torque - if you make one little mistake, you'll strip out the threads on the carb body. The screws don't have to be super tight.

Back