Big weather event- Western New York

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
I live in western NY (buffalo area). They just posted blizzard warnings. the thruway is closing from Buffalo to PA at 8:00 pm. No commercial traffic on the Thruway now. A lot of the smaller local roads are closed now too. 1 to 3 ft of lake effect snow with high winds. 20 to 30 below windchill. Several power outages already. A lot of schools closed for tomorrow already. That's a big deal. They don't close schools quickly here. Batten down the hatches Dennis, Bill and any one else in the area. It was 40 degrees here yesterday. I though about firing up my Max because it was so nice out.

As long as my power stays on. Everything will be honky dory. I have a fire place so I can stay warm. It's just a big pain without power.

^ Same here. As long as I have Power I'm all set.
I do have access to a kerosene heater if I need it.

We aren't getting the snow you guys are but this afternoon it was 58° and pouring rain....tomorrow morning a wind chill of -29° is called for, if that happens we could see nearly a 90° temperature change in roughly 12 hours....that's friggin' insane!

Hunker down out there guys....that super cold Canadian blast could cause some real problems on your side of the lakes! :snow::snow::snow:

We had about 6-8" of snow fall today, an inch per hour called for now until midnight. -4 out but with WSW winds of 15-25 mph it feels like -24. That is our plan for the next 3 days, the snow will be heaviest tonight but the bitterly cold temps persisting.
Just my luck today that my windshield wipers on my truck decide to quit on me so it was a little bit of an adventure driving home. With all the snow coming down, the wind blowing it horizontal which it seemed to be purposely directing it all at my windshield! My GMC held it's own against the onslaught and faithfully brought me home safe and sound. The only other time coming home from work more exciting was riding Redbone home in the rain.
Try to stay warm ya'll, winter has only just started! :snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow:

I grew up in the western NY area about 8 miles in from the lake (Ontario), and learned how to drive in the snow before I decided to move to FL. I like to visit "up-north," but I don't mind coming home to south FL.

Stay off the roads if you can, and I hope you have alternative heating if the power goes out. I recall the Great Blackout of '65, I was at high school wrestling practice, and when we went outside, there were hardly any light sources except for the stars. Man, that was eerie. It was a cold couple of days.

I can sympathize about the storms, when I vaccumed the pool yesterday, it was down to 75.:biglaugh:

Where I lived, if you didn't get 10 ft of snow in a winter, it was a mild one. Our big TORO 2-stage snow blower was a great tool, especially when the town put a 2 ft pile of wet snow at the foot of our inclined driveway, just-after getting it cleared.

There are some fancy terms for whats going on with the weather...'Artic Vortex' and stuff but what it is is just good ol' fashioned 'Blizzard' conditions....used to be very common back in the day.

Jeez Philip, that must have been brutal, vacuuming the pool under those conditions....I hope you had at least a tank top on to ward off the cold! :rofl_200:

Hard to beat them old GMC's BB, mine's going strong too! :worthy:

LOL FM,
I have a commercial grade Ariens 32" snow blower and it definitely makes life easier after those damn plows go by.
It is getting a little nasty now but nothing we haven't seen before.
We actually have a Police enforced driving ban right now.

The last storm before this, in mid december, I was in florida. It was mid 80's. I went from possible freezing to death to heat stroke :eusa_dance: The beauty of this type of weather is my house will still be standing when it warms up :eusa_dance:

-12 here with wind chills in the -35 to -40 range. When it gets this cold I just think of KJ up in Alaska.....these temps are probably warm to him!

We're putting up with a storm on this side of the pond too, most prolonged and destructive storm we've had in two decades apparently.
Flooding, destruction of coastal defences and wind damage is the worst of it - but apparently there's a cold snap coming in behind it...
Hopefully nothing compared to what ye have

waves_1.jpg

tumblr_myzga1mauN1sq04bjo1_500.jpg

Belmullet_Twitter_eileenc43.jpg

We're putting up with a storm on this side of the pond too, most prolonged and destructive storm we've had in two decades apparently.
Flooding, destruction of coastal defences and wind damage is the worst of it - but apparently there's a cold snap coming in behind it...
Hopefully nothing compared to what ye have

waves_1.jpg

tumblr_myzga1mauN1sq04bjo1_500.jpg

Belmullet_Twitter_eileenc43.jpg

Thats ugly, right there.

Tuesday about 11AM...
Colder than a witches tit here! Somewhere about -9F.. Wind was howling all night, blinding snow for a few hours, but now the sun is shining away. I expected to see the world had ended, but things look pretty good here. Situation MUCH different north of us here in Holland though. I'm not going to even think about going out into this till it warms up to at least zero degrees. The driveway will be there, I'm sure.
Good thing is that I'm on vacation this week.....

-16 last night and I woke up to -13. Windchill I am not even sure, I thought I hear -40 below.

Got the shop temperature up to 50 degrees..... :(

Todd

I thought I heard it was warmer in the arctic circle for a bit................:damn angry:.................Tom.

There starting to close schools for tomorrow. bitter cold, Snow and white outs are supposed to last till tomorrow morning. I didn't get a lot of snow, but the wind has been blowing nasty all day. I can see some blacktop in the driveway, right next to the 3 ft drifts. :bang head: Curse that global warming !!!!

Were up to 1° here in NW OH. Wind chills in the -20's still. Yesterday it wad warmer in Fairbanks than it was here, lol. Last night was cold enogh to show the old lady the boiling water to snow trick!

Back