Bike only runs good on reserve.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

click-it

Reaction score
What should I look for for problems. It seems to not get enough gas when its not on reserve. I always thought I had a lean condition due to a off throttle pop. How I found what the problem was I was riding it around and thought that I was running out of gas hit reserve and right away the bike woke up and it was night and day. switch it back from reserve to normal setting and it starts the pop again and not run so good. Weird?

sounds like the fuel pump isn't getting all the power it needs when its on 'on'. It would completely die if it wasn't getting any... hmmm... i'll let mark or someone like that chime in, but they'll probably want to know what the voltage or amps are at the fuel pump.

does the fuel pump click if the bike has sit for a while when you first put the key from off to on?

Sounds like the pump is not working when in the normal position. This is not uncommon though I am not sure what the exact fix is. If you (or we) find out we need to post this up.

Sean

Sounds like a stuck fuel sender or bad fuel pump relay. Does your reserve light come on....even a bit dim?

Sounds like the pump is not working when in the normal position. This is not uncommon though I am not sure what the exact fix is. If you (or we) find out we need to post this up.

Sean

its gotta be half assed working right? otherwise the bike woudl die once all the fuel in the bowls is gone....

Not sure. On the bike we have with a similar problem, the reserve light doesn't work, but it will half ass run with the switch in the on position. It won't run the pump enough to start it at first but once on the road it will just put enough fuel in to let it run but not worth crap. It has gotten to the point that I am not sure if it will even do that anymore.

Flip the switch to reserve and it fuels back up and runs great.

Sean

From what I can tell reading the schematic as long as the fuel sender is in the proper resistance range and the switch not being dirty or broken then this would indicate the relay going bad. Since the pump runs fine on reserve I would say the wire between the relay and pump is fine

Have you tried to replace the relay yet???
Did you take apart the switch and check it/clean it??
I would start with the switch. Since the pump seems to get some voltage in the On position also check the wires from the switch to the relay, could be a bad/broken/crimped wire.

The relay is a pretty simple device. When the light comes on due to an increase in resistance from the sender in the tank it will cause the fuel pump to shut down until you switch to reserve which picks up a different part of the relay to send power back to the pump.
There are only 3 parts to this equation, fuel sender, relay and switch. We can rule out the pump since it is working

There is a flow chart in the tech manual that leads you through the switch, pump, relay and sender.
Lets us know what you find.
Plus if you havent already check out this thread
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=4217
Cheers

I've got to replace the switch housing on the bike with the problem anyway since it is one of the last details that looks like crap. If it fixes it I will let the list know.

Sean

So since it runs great in RES in is more then likely just the switch? No moving parts means its not going to hurt anything to leave it till I can have someone smarter then me to look at it. Thanks guys I will let you know as soon as I find out and thanks for the other link. Not that web smart either LOL

Doubt the switch but check anyway. Shouldn't read continuity when set to ON. It's probably fuel sender or fuel pump relay.

So since it runs great in RES in is more then likely just the switch? No moving parts means its not going to hurt anything to leave it till I can have someone smarter then me to look at it. Thanks guys I will let you know as soon as I find out and thanks for the other link. Not that web smart either LOL

Where in WI are you?

We are having a meet up in Ottawa IL in the middle of May.

Chris

Doubt the switch but check anyway. Shouldn't read continuity when set to ON. It's probably fuel sender or fuel pump relay.

Mark the reason I was thinking the switch was he is getting some voltage to the pump when it is "On".
If the sender is high out of spec on resistance then the only way it will run is in "Res" Basically the sender thinks the tank is low all the time and will tell the relay to only work on "Res" But since he is getting something when it is "On" and doesnt die when the bowls pump dry tells me the fuel sender is working properly.
Could be the R/W wire from the wiring harness to the relay shorting out when the switch is "On" dropping off some off the voltage.

When I first bought the bike over winter I never noticed this issue I can't remember. I wonder if adding a battery tender wire to the battery post could have a issue with one of the wires not having good contact? I guess I am going to check that as well.

Latest posts

Back