bike running terrible

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stmax97

Reaction score
I have a 1997 vmax that I bought last year, it has 23,000 miles on it. I had a little trouble with the carbs shortly after I bought it, but I did the peashooter thing and it seemed to clean it up pretty good. Drove it all last summer, garaged it for the winter and this spring it is giving me troubles again.

First problem was it was only running on three cylinders. it was from a sticky float needle. I ended up having to take the carb apart to clean it and get it unstuck. After putting the carbs back on I figured all would be well, not at all.

Sometimes it runs on all four cylinders until it gets warmed up and then starts dropping them, until its only running on a couple and eventually dies. All the spark plugs are fouled and wet with fuel. Then sometimes it won't run when its cold either. I ohmed out the coils, primary side and secondary side, and also ohmed out the pick up coils. I did both when it was hot and when it was cold. Either way they all fall within spec. Then I tested through the spark plug wires and coils to ground. I had no continuity on the right side of the bike. So I took off all the wires and cut a little off the ends to make sure they got a good connection. After that they all had continuity. I then took out all the plugs and cleaned them up. Still NO CHANGE!

Im not sure if its an ignition problem or a carb problem anymore. Im getting frustrated and im lost at this point. please help! :bang head:

Before getting too far into it 1stmax, I'd do the peashooter and shotgun. If you don't get any change at all, then move on to the next level, if you see some improvement, but not what you expect....do them again. They're cheap and easy!

Winter storage raises hell with these carbs....well, winter storage and gasoline that can't be stored much longer than a weekend!

I forgot to mention that I did try the peashooter twice with no change. I haven't tried the shotgun on them yet. And no I did not sync the carbs, I didn't tear them apart, just took the floatbowl covers off and cleaned the needle valves. That shouldn't require re-syncing should it? I don't have the tool to syncronize them yet either.

Every time i had to take my float bowls off and clean the carbs , the absoluttly had to be re synced, they were wayyyyyyyyy out of sync. Try that

Oh wow, I had no idea, never even thought that could be the issue. Although this is my first bike and I have very little experience with them. It kind of makes sense though, because before when the needle valve was stuck it was only missing on that one cylinder. Now its all over the place. Ive been planning to buy a sync tool anyways so I will have to pick one up and give that a try. Thanks

1stmax97 - not sure where you are in Michigan, I'm in Midland. Just got my Carbtune sync tool last week. My 06 has 4 K miles to it, and the carbs were off somewhat. Within 15 min - completely sync'd now :eusa_dance: BIG DIFFERENCE !! Just as easy to do as everyone in this Forun says it is !

If your not too far away, your welcome to stop by and use my Cartune until you order one. Let me know.

1stmax97 - not sure where you are in Michigan, I'm in Midland. Just got my Carbtune sync tool last week. My 06 has 4 K miles to it, and the carbs were off somewhat. Within 15 min - completely sync'd now :eusa_dance: BIG DIFFERENCE !! Just as easy to do as everyone in this Forun says it is !

If your not too far away, your welcome to stop by and use my Cartune until you order one. Let me know.

Thanks a lot for the offer! But I live in Flushing which is about an hour south of you. There is no way I could drive my bike that far with the way its running right now. Im going to order a syncronizer tonight.

finally got my sync tool and just had the time to do it today. Fixed all my issues and then some! the bike has never ran this good before. can't believe thats all it needed! I ended up going with the one from ebay that naughtyG posted and it works great. thanks everyone!

finally got my sync tool and just had the time to do it today. Fixed all my issues and then some! the bike has never ran this good before. can't believe thats all it needed! I ended up going with the one from ebay that naughtyG posted and it works great. thanks everyone!

:thumbs up:

Glad you have it sorted. We Michigan Vmaxer's need to meet up either at the Hell MI run, another rally or plan one of our own VMF rides. :thumbs up:

Latest posts

Back