Brake upgrade

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonerdave

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm thinking about upgrading my front brakes over the winter and I'd like to start keeping an eye open for the parts I need. Here are some things I've gathered from various discussions, and I want to make sure that they are accurate:

1. Busa calipers seem to be the way to go. I gather that I can get a bracket from Sean and otherwise they will bolt right on. Others go with R1 calipers, but it sounded like you need to either get a custom made bracket or order one from the UK. The 4-piston Busa ones sound good to me in any case. Calipers from any Busa from 99-07 will work.

2. I take it that any rotors from a 1st gen Vmax will bolt straight on. I take it that I can also use R1 rotors, but I'm not sure what range of years are compatible. There are also the fancy Galfer floating wave rotors, but they're outta my budget. Any other options? Are all of these compatible with Busa calipers?

3. I want a M/C with a hole for mirrors. I take it that I'm limited to something from a gen1 or fjr1300. Someone asked about a Shadow m/c. Can anyone confirm whether or not that will work? Anything else that would work?

4. I want steel braided lines and I take it I can get them in blue? Sean can still get a hold of them?

5. What about the rear brake? I take it that the front right rotor is interchangeable. Has anyone put a Busa caliper on the rear or is that just overkill? Would it take a different rear m/c as well? Any real reason to do this while I'm at it?

Thanks a lot for clarifying - much appreciated!

2. I take it that any rotors from a 1st gen Vmax will bolt straight on. I take it that I can also use R1 rotors, but I'm not sure what range of years are compatible. There are also the fancy Galfer floating wave rotors, but they're outta my budget. Any other options? Are all of these compatible with Busa calipers?
You can also get wave rotors from China like Redbone, myself and a few others got. They're about $150 for a pair, and so far are working great here. They're the same size as the stock max rotors 93-07.
4. I want steel braided lines and I take it I can get them in blue? Sean can still get a hold of them?
I got my front braided lines from Sean. He can get both Galfers and HEL in any color you like. HEL is slightly cheaper than Galfers. I got mine in 'stainless steel' color and custom length - love them.

5. What about the rear brake? I take it that the front right rotor is interchangeable. Has anyone put a Busa caliper on the rear or is that just overkill? Would it take a different rear m/c as well? Any real reason to do this while I'm at it?
I wouldn't bother changing the rear brake unless you're going for looks. The stock rear caliper is strong enough to lock the rear wheel any day..

Attachments

• P1080469.jpg
    P1080469.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 135
Busa calipers are 6-pots. If you have early front end you can use Suzuki GSXR600 4-pot tokico's with stock rotors and Sean's adapters. Or, with early front end you can put late model rotors, busa calipers and Sean's adapters.

For late model, easiest to do is just put R1 calipers up front.

Rear, different rotors/calipers are for looks. The most I would do there is get a SS line.

Those Chinese wavys look alright - do you get em off Fleabay? BTW I do have an '85. I need new rotors all around. Can I use any of the above mentioned options with these Chinese wavys?

For those wave rotors you will also need adapters as they are of a larger diameter. I got my adapter plates from Jedi - if you ask him nicely he might make you some more!

Unfortunately the guy we bought our rotors from on fleaBay does not seem to be selling them anymore. There is another one selling some at a similar price, but while they look similar there is no way to tell if the quality is the same. Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRON...5726350QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

As you can see in my pic I am still using my original 1986 single pot calipers, and that works fine for me. I liked the idea of the R1 calipers with the blue dot, but didn't really have the funds.
Also, with the (larger) wave rotors, EBC HH pads and SS lines, I can now lock the front wheel pretty easily so I'm quite happy with my braking power for now. Sure it's not 2 fingers like on a crotch rocket, but it's biting aplenty enough for me.

If you need a rotor for your rear and decide to stay stock, I have a few leftover which are used but still serviceable. I just want to keep one to renew mine when it gets to the limit.

Still got the original guy's ebay name? I could try to contact him top see if he can get a hold of some more...

Hi everyone

I'm thinking about upgrading my front brakes over the winter and I'd like to start keeping an eye open for the parts I need. Here are some things I've gathered from various discussions, and I want to make sure that they are accurate:

1. Busa calipers seem to be the way to go. I gather that I can get a bracket from Sean and otherwise they will bolt right on. Others go with R1 calipers, but it sounded like you need to either get a custom made bracket or order one from the UK. The 4-piston Busa ones sound good to me in any case. Calipers from any Busa from 99-07 will work.

3. I want a M/C with a hole for mirrors. I take it that I'm limited to something from a gen1 or fjr1300. Someone asked about a Shadow m/c. Can anyone confirm whether or not that will work? Anything else that would work?

Thanks a lot for clarifying - much appreciated!

As some noted:

1 - Busa Calipers ARE the way to go. They are six piston and need more fluid to work which takes a bit of the harshness out of the Vmax setup. Plus the increased pad surface area and larger rotors really brake awesome. So more lever travel but better feel for what the brakes are doing and much less effort. 2 fingers (I can use 1) will brake you as fast as you want. They are 6 piston calipers. They do require my adapters ($30 for stainless, $40 for coated, and $50 for chromed).

The R1 adapters cost considerably more and don't give as good a brakes (though a hell of a lot better then stock 92 and older).

2 - They also require 93-07 Vmax rotors (as well as the early years R1/R6/FJR fit). These are a bolt on and need no adapters to work. If they say they will fit those bikes then you are in business.

3 - Pretty much any master will work from any metric series bike with 7/8th handlebars. The FJR will give an even stronger braking power but not needed. The stock vmax masters work well with the busa setup.

4 - As noted, HEL or Galfer both make that color (check thier site and tell me what color of lines and fittings you want when you make the order). Also, do you want 2 line (a little cheaper) or 3 line system (similar to stock).

5 - We have used one of the custom mounts that you see online which lets you use the R1 calipers. Looks cool and lets you use the bigger rotor again. We have not tried the busa rear but I bet it would work quite well and maybe also take away some of the overkill when hitting the brake sharply. But, it will be easier to lock them up if you get aggressive. If you want to try one and are willing to get an extra caliper (or take the time to install the one you get for the front first) I will send an extra adapter for free.

Sean Morley

I'm waiting on an order. Nissen/Tokico 4 pots, with asapters for my 89 front. I'll report back when I get em in and mount them. The EBC floating rotors for the older Max look like a good addition. I' m wondering if the stock master cylinder is going to be compatible?
Steve

Thnx for the feedback Sean - I was hoping you'd chip in with your 2 cents. Like I said, I want to wait at least a month until riding season is mostly over. In the meantime I will be looking for Busa calipers. If I can find a decent enough deal I'll get three of em and go ahead with the rear as well. How does the two line set up work - does it just replace the two lines leading from the calipers and leave the stock line leading from the m/c? If so, I'd replace all 3.

The same adapter you sell for the front would work on the rear rotor? Thanks for the offer of throwing in a second one - that's great of you. I will let you know what I plan to do soon.

Is fleabay the best source for calipers or a FJR m/c? Any other suggestions?

The two line system eliminates the splitter and has two lines running to the master. Some like the look and some don't. No performance diff either way.

The adapter should work but i have not taken the time to look at it much.

Ebay is usually the best source.

Sean

I recently finished Sean's Busa setup and I love it. The warning I can give you is be very careful getting Rotors off of eBay, forget about the description. Ask the seller to send you pictures of both inside and outsides of both rotors. Many times they only show the pictures of the GOOD side on eBay. I went thru two damaged sets before I finally gave in and bought a new set of 05 Warrior rotors (you can use 02-05 Warrior rotors). I chose to go with those be cause they are very similiar to the R1 rotors (use 01 and prior R1 rotors) but I saved about $100.00/rotor. It might also be a good avenue if you are looking for a used pair because you may only have to deal with a set of 3 year old rotors versus 8 years ones.

FJR masters are going to be difficult to find used, but honestly with the busa set up you won't need it. I've ridden an R6 for 6 years and a Warrior for 3 and with the busa set up with stock master cylinders and stock rear my 89 Vmax stops just as well. I go with the FJRs if and when nature calls for the replacement of the stock Vmax ones since I'd have to get news anyway at that time.

If you are interested in a Black set (2) Busa calipers there was a shop locally that had a sent for something like $60 when I was looking (i went with gold) and I got a couple leads on some 03 and 05 Warrior rotors (of course after I bought my new ones) from people on my Warrior Forum. Let me know if you are interested. Hopefully my recent experience helps.

I know. I've got to get pictures on. I promised Sean I'd do it as well along with the turn signals. I have to research how to post pictured on the site and will do it. If anyone has a link to it that would be great.

very easy. get the pictures on your computer, then do a "new reply" or a "quote" then goto manage attachments and just open each picture you want to attach.

Awesome. Thanks Garret. I'll try to get some pictures on tonight, as long as the wife doesn't have plans for me. I had to take some pictures last night of my coils for Sean last night and I promise her that I would space my "bike" out to leave room for family time.

1 - Busa Calipers ARE the way to go. They are six piston and need more fluid to work which takes a bit of the harshness out of the Vmax setup. Plus the increased pad surface area and larger rotors really brake awesome. So more lever travel but better feel for what the brakes are doing and much less effort. 2 fingers (I can use 1) will brake you as fast as you want. They are 6 piston calipers. They do require my adapters ($30 for stainless, $40 for coated, and $50 for chromed).

I'm unclear on one detail. On your adapters to mount the Busa calipers, do these adapters mount them to the earlier model VMX or the later? If the earlier, what does it take to mount Busa calipers to the later ones?

Latest posts

Back