Chain Drive Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackjack

Reaction score
Ran across this ad and just had to share, why would someone prefer a chain drive over the drive shaft :confused2:

Click Here!

1. way less driveline loss of power.
2. You can pick final drive ratios.
3. It's bad assed

Makes me feel like mine is WAY overpriced. :biglaugh:

That's one V Max that was done right...love the old school Yamaha color scheme...2 thumbs up ! :worthy:

I agree with Mr. Pickles...

The paint scheme does NOTHING for me, but I am a less is more kinda guy.

Hard to believe the wheels cost over 5000 dollars but what ever floats his boat...

Seems like a good price for it.

Question is... How many laps down the track has it seen?

I bought my vmax because it was a shafty... My other bike is chain and I hate cleaning and lubing every 300 miles...

Chris

1. way less driveline loss of power.
2. You can pick final drive ratios.
3. It's bad assed

+1, my first one had a chain it was fun:biglaugh:,but I woudnt do it again !

Makes me feel like mine is WAY overpriced. :biglaugh:

I had 14k into mine only got 7 when I HAD to sell it:bang head:

Power comes from torque.

You will gain better final drive effiency also much weight lose.

V-max drive shaft generates about 25% loses and chain generates about 15-20%.
Belt generates about 5%.

Ya, all the newer bikes are using belt for a reason. Belt beats out chain because it's a lot lighter, less rotating mass and no friction from joints. I'm surprised some of the sportbikes haven't started going to belts over chain. Plus no cleaning or lubing, and they say the belts are "pre-stretched" so adjustment is very minimal.

My Magna was a chain drive. While it didn't bother me per se, it was a mild annoyance having to constantly clean, lube, and adjust it pretty much after every ride.

You lose so much with a shaft because you make the torque flow take two 90 degree turns. A chain is a straight shot.

That bike has potential but needs paint. 4K tops imo

Or maybe not. I have to think about this some more.
Dave #3505

Chain drive is typically 98% efficient, spiral bevels 95% . In the case of the Vmax
2 pairs of spiral bevels are eliminated going to chain. The unsprung weight without the diff housing will also give gains.

You don't GAIN any power. You just don't lose it in the driveline process. I would agree on the 5-10% increase to the rear end. The other benefit is the loss of weight (significant) from losing the diff, heavy wheel, and misc.

Sean

Latest posts

Back