Check your tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While on the subject, I would like to add that in my experience the rubber 'straight' automotive type valve stem is a poor choice for M/C's because of the tight space to the hub, disc brake etc people tend to try and bend the valve a little to get the gauge on. Over time the stem can start to crack. I always use the steel 90 deg. stems on motorcycles (except tube type dirt bike) they hold up better and are easy to check. A shop here only uses the straight rubber ones, I feel they are borderline dangerous, and the shop rarely changes them out with a tire change.

And one more thing to add, my brother-in-law had a M/C wreck directly caused by low tire pressure. It was loaded down (Victory) and tire got hot and blew out. He spent some hospital time with that deal, just last summer. I posted the pictures here on this site. I should get him some of those pressure displaying caps for Christmas (that is about how often I see him). Anyway that got me more into checking and not just kicking.

I burned up a Dunlop on my Kaw by letting it run low because I didn't have a 90 degree tire gauge. I couldn't figure out why the rear always wanted to wash out so bad. Lesson learned I guess.

That explains alot... Never guessed the Rear air being low would wash and always to the left. It felt like right after she lost traction, that the Rear was riding on an angle while I steered straight. Like I was riding on ice or something.

That explains alot... Never guessed the Rear air being low would wash and always to the left. It felt like right after she lost traction, that the Rear was riding on an angle while I steered straight. Like I was riding on ice or something.

I could barely lean the bike, it was scary. I didn't realize how important maintaining proper tire pressure was since I'd never ridden before.

While on the subject, I would like to add that in my experience the rubber 'straight' automotive type valve stem is a poor choice for M/C's because of the tight space to the hub, disc brake etc people tend to try and bend the valve a little to get the gauge on. Over time the stem can start to crack. I always use the steel 90 deg. stems on motorcycles (except tube type dirt bike) they hold up better and are easy to check. A shop here only uses the straight rubber ones, I feel they are borderline dangerous, and the shop rarely changes them out with a tire change.

a 90° chuck helps a lot, i always give customers the options, but replace the rubber ones every tire change. I had one that was 5 years old, i bent it and it just broke in half.

scary.

but yea my bikes all have the 90° aluminum ones.

pro tip- don't get them to match your wheels, pick another colour or its kind of a pain to find them at first glance.

Here's a couple shots of a friend's H-D rear tire when he rode it not realizing it had no air pressure. He's lucky he didn't dump it! No.2 is the inside case.

I switched to a 90 degree valve stem on my VMax, but the shop had a bad batch of them, and the tire wouldn't hold air! The tire guy got pretty-tired of swapping them until he found a good one.

Attachments

• IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 36
So I totally checked my tires at the gas station cause of this thread. Best part is aside from that they were good. I found an odd rattle I didn't know what was!!! My front fender was a little lose. All tight now lol.

These are handy and cheaper than a bag of chips.. Got a set each for my Max and the wifes Bonneville. Set your tire pressures then screw them on the valve stems. Thus far (only six weeks) they are doing well. They change color from green (good) through yellow (okayish) to Red (bad) over a 15 psi range. Easy to read at a glance and not bad looking on the bike. A manual test proves they are working so far. Can't beat the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370972045560?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Chris.
Tks for posting this Chris. These are a must have for me. 36psi is just what I run in front. Rear 38, but nice to have assurance at a glance. Radial rear tires are hard to eye- ball for low pressure.
Rubber stems on a VMAX, or anybike? Bad idea.

I just polish my chrome before every ride. Just wanna look good when the ambulance arrive's :worthy: Just Kidding !!! geesh ! Good reminder post.

I always keep my tires in check so i can be a burnout hooligan or a wheelie hooligan or a drag race hooligan. The right Air pressure helps alot.

Back