Check your tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ oz1961
Actually, the US Owners manual recommends 33 psi front and 36 psi rear for high speed riding.
And MC tire manufacturers say to use the pressures from your owners manual.

Here are the specs from the European Owners Manual:

Maximum load* 209 kg​
Tire air pressure (measured on cold tires)​
Up to 90 kg*​
Front 225 kPa (2.25 kg/cm2, 2.25 bar)​
Rear 225 kPa (2.25 kg/cm2, 2.25 bar)​
90 kg–maximum*​
Rear 250 kPa (2.50 kg/cm2, 2.50 bar)​
High-speed riding​
Rear 250 kPa (2.50 kg/cm2, 2.50 bar)​
* Total weight of rider, passenger, cargo and accessories

PS
It doesn't matter what size the tires are because PSI = Pounds per square Inch and that number is NOT affected by tire size.
PSI is a measure of pressure, Not volume.

Last edited:
PS
It doesn't matter what size the tires are because PSI = Pounds per square Inch and that number is NOT affected by tire size.
PSI is a measure of pressure, Not volume.[/QUOTE]

Good point. Thats exactly right. My bad. Good info on the manual recommendations too

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I usually follow the manufacturer specs rather than manual. If I remember Metzeler recommand higher for the marrathon. So does michelin for the my radial.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Please I am really not trying to be an Ass ! If I did not care about people I would not put a rude post up like this. Sometimes you just have to be frank to get the point across. I am just seeing it way to much lately

Dont worry I will check them before I go out next! And yea most of the time you have to be rude to get a point across!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I am guilty of just kicking the tires and if they feel hard I get on r. What is the best tire preasure to maintain in both tires? I have an '85 Vmax

Personally I have used this gauge for about 3 years and swear by it. I have yet to change the batteries and it is used on a weekly basis. When compared to other gauges I have found it to be spot on for its measurements + - .1psi. Its cheap enough that if you lose or break it, no sweat. I have dropped it countless times and have had zero issues. Lastly I also have an '85 so I know fitament will not be an issue for you (naturally like any bike you will need to rotate to tire to an area where the valve is accessible since brake rotors, calipers, forks, etc are in the way at times).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00080QHMM/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I usually follow the manufacturer specs rather than manual. If I remember Metzeler recommand higher for the marrathon. So does michelin for the my radial.

This is directly from the Metzeler Webiste:
http://www.metzeler.com/site/us/tech-and-safety/safety-maintenance.html
Tire Pressure
Always inflate the tire to the correct pressure. Be sure to check cold inflation pressure frequently, i.e. once a week. Although most motorcyclists love to work on their bikes, many seldom remember to check their bikes tire pressures. Correct pressures are critical for safe handling. Over inflation or extreme tire pressure will impair your riding comfort and decrease the size of the contact patch of the tire with the road. Under inflation or too little air pressure will result in poor handling and the bike will be inclined to “wander”. Improper and insufficient tyre pressure will also cause rapid tire wear, an increase in fuel consumption, lower top speed, and provide less control. Remember to check the inflation pressure of your tires weekly.You will find the correct pressure in the operating manual of the motorcycle. Use METZELER’s information only as reference. Attention: When the recommended pressure has been changed for use off the public highway (race track, off-road), it must be reset to the correct value before riding on the street.

And from Michelin:
http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/advice/faq/about-tire-pressures
What pressures should I put in my tires for normal road use?

For use on the road, it’s essential to use the tire pressures recommended by the manufacturer of your motorbike.
You’ll find it in the bike’s handbook or on the machine itself.

The inflation pressure stated in these documents is the pressure when the tires are cold.
NB: The maximum pressure indicated on the tire is never to be considered for road use. This is the pressure corresponding to the tire’s load index.

I stand corrected but when I remember seeing different values when checking pressure for specific tires.

33 psi seems to be low for a radial or it's just me?

I stand corrected but when I remember seeing different values when checking pressure for specific tires.

I'm sure those pressures are for the stock/ bias ply tires. My Shinko Verge's tires are recommended at 42 psi.

33 is about right for a front, and a rear with lower weight passenger.

33-36 is pretty typical. i'd try 36 with our big weight bikes

I think the pressures indicated in the manual are indicated for the tires provided.
Knowing the bias marathon has a maximum pressure of 50, 36 seems pretty low to me.

I run 36/42 with my PR3, knowing I will lose pressure over time I don't feel worry has it never goes too low.

Better a bit more than not enough.

I just checked my tires. I have two of them and they are black. Just like they were last year!

Don't they come with TPMS from the factory? It's that unmarked light on our Tach that should light up if tire pressure falls. What else could it be?!

Sincerely, Wiggly Baldini

Last edited:
These are handy and cheaper than a bag of chips.. Got a set each for my Max and the wifes Bonneville. Set your tire pressures then screw them on the valve stems. Thus far (only six weeks) they are doing well. They change color from green (good) through yellow (okayish) to Red (bad) over a 15 psi range. Easy to read at a glance and not bad looking on the bike. A manual test proves they are working so far. Can't beat the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370972045560?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Chris.

Just checked mine before the big ride this weekend. Front was down to 17 psi and rear was not too far off.

These are handy and cheaper than a bag of chips.. Got a set each for my Max and the wifes Bonneville. Set your tire pressures then screw them on the valve stems. Thus far (only six weeks) they are doing well. They change color from green (good) through yellow (okayish) to Red (bad) over a 15 psi range. Easy to read at a glance and not bad looking on the bike. A manual test proves they are working so far. Can't beat the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370972045560?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Chris.
Do they make any for 40 PSI? If I am down to 36 they are way too low.

The higher pressure ones that I have seen are more expensive. I have a round dial with hose Chuck I have on top of the toolbox for right before I took out and always before any long trips.

Back