coatings

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Kratzenberg

Reaction score
So my ss marks pipes are turning some dark colors and the bar keepers wont even clean them.
Thinking of getting them ceramic coated
I like the chrome look so I found this company www.performancecoatings.com
they have a chrome like coating that holds up to 1300 degrees

or maybe www.jet-hot.com

anyone have any experience with these company's or any other recommendation's for me?

I know Sean offers these services, I have an old Kerker that needs to be done. I need to check on the prices

I have used Jet Hot coatings on two bikes and was happy with the results. I chose the High Luster Silver not quite like chrome but it still looks good. The headers I have on my V-Max now are from UFO and they come with a ceramic coating as well that looks similar to what I had from Jet Hot.

The shinier the coating the shorter the life is what I got from my looking into it.

I ended up using Polydyne in Houston am am very pleased

Correct. The duller coatings take higher temps and last longer. BUT, note that SS is very hard to coat and have anything stick for any long periods of time. I am a NCoat/Jet Hot dealer. I want to say the coating costs are around $300-$350 range plus return shipping.

The system Polydyne for me was a stainless UFO system. I did the next to the brightest finish they have.

So far so good. Its about 2 years old and maybe 2500 miles and hasn't been out in the weather at all.

I don't expect it to hold up forever though since like you said it is stainless.

well now im not sure that I want the shiny coating if it doesn't last.
it says up to 1300 degrees, whats the average temp that these pipes get to?

my ceramic holeshots held up for many years and still looked pretty good but they were pretty dull in color

Top temp I would guess could not be even 1000 degrees under the most brutal circumstances.

The way I looked at it was worth the cost hands down.
I consider my time as worth something and keeping the stainless system properly polished and looking good was becoming more and more difficult and way too time consuming.

The Polydyne place in Houston did my 4-2 UFO for $220 out the door. No shipping. I dropped it off and picked it up

It still looks good after 2 years so I figure its at least good for 4 years.

If I have to redo it every few years including removal and installation it still beats upkeep on regularly ridden stainless system (I kept mine to a high polish)

Like anything else putting it away wet and filthy is definitely shorten the life

I talked with the guy from performance coatings and I qustioned him about how the shiny coatings dont hold up as well as the duller ones.

he said there is no truth to that... it all depends on how you care for bike and store it. keep it clean and dry and it will last for years and years.

he quoted me around $200- $210 for the chromex coating
I think i'm gonna try it...

I talked with the guy from performance coatings and I qustioned him about how the shiny coatings dont hold up as well as the duller ones.

he said there is no truth to that... it all depends on how you care for bike and store it. keep it clean and dry and it will last for years and years.

he quoted me around $200- $210 for the chromex coating
I think i'm gonna try it...
With the highlighted portion above being the case for the longevity of the coating I predict that your coating should hold up a good long time Bill. Your bike is always spotless and is such a fine example of our beloved Vmax!:worthy::worthy::worthy:

With the highlighted portion above being the case for the longevity of the coating I predict that your coating should hold up a good long time Bill. Your bike is always spotless and is such a fine example of our beloved Vmax!:worthy::worthy::worthy:

thanks Brian...
how are your pipes holding up? any discoloration?

thanks Brian...
how are your pipes holding up? any discoloration?
Mine are just OK it takes a lot of work by hand to get them to look good but so far there is no permanent discolorations. If I had a buffing wheel it would be much easier to maintain a good polish.
So while I'm buffing away on my sections of pipe I'll will be keenly watching for your results. I will admit that I'm probably not as fastidious as you in my up keep on Redbone but I think a couple hundred dollars seems fair if it holds up for multiple years.

I had good luck cleaning up my marks pipes with "purple metal polish" and a spiral sewn buffing wheel mounted in the bench grinder. This polish is runny. I applied it to the pipes and took them to the wheel.

I had good luck cleaning up my marks pipes with "purple metal polish" and a spiral sewn buffing wheel mounted in the bench grinder. This polish is runny. I applied it to the pipes and took them to the wheel.

i'm a big fan of the purple polish too Mike, I use it on everything that isn't chromed.
I haven't tried it on my pipes but even if it does work I would rather spend a couple hundred bucks and have a highly polished looking finish with minimal maintenance

Bill, let me know when your going cause I was gonna buy a whole new chrome Kerker 4-1 but then I gotta sell mine to recoup some cash but I'd like to see the coating your talking about. I have quite a few things going on and I'm curious to explore any and all possibiillities. Let me know, Thanks Bill, Ed

got my pipes back from performance coatings this week.
I think they came out looking great, highly polished aluminum look. Now I just hope they hold up like I was told... He quoted me $200- $210 on the phone, got the invoice for $170 plus shipping. here is a pic of before and after and the contact info if anyone is interested. Fast turn around time too

Attachments

• untitled (10).jpg
    untitled (10).jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 54
  • untitled (9).jpg
    untitled (9).jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 52
  • untitled (4).jpg
    untitled (4).jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 47
dude if those hold up thats what you've been looking for eh!? how about the cans?

Back