COPRUNNER's computer bit the dust!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a call from Timmy this evening, there was a total power outage in his town today....everything went down! Somehow the thing cooked his computer so he'll be out of commission for a few days.

I'm fairly certain it's an NSA conspiracy but he says no.....there's No Such Agency! :confused2:

Got a call from Timmy this evening, there was a total power outage in his town today....everything went down! Somehow the thing cooked his computer so he'll be out of commission for a few days.

I'm fairly certain it's an NSA conspiracy but he says no.....there's No Such Agency! :confused2:

NSA.... really, must be them. hey if he is still alive tomorrow( i hear this is how it all starts when they want to rub someone out) he needs a surge protector power bar to hook up his machine of destruction. Also stop plotting things like taking over the world from his computer.... they are WATCHING!!!!!!!! trust no one, not even the reflection in the mirror, you never know who is watching hahahah hahahah :rofl_200::ummm:

that-sucks.gif

Is your home owners ins up to date?................In a pinch you could always use the library, however, I doubt they will have the power you require to run the world.............................

Power outage my ass. I heard he dropped it in the laundry tub, filled it with water, and started drilling holes all through it to mount spikes and LEDS. Then when he went to plug it in and test the mods it went POOF.

Power outage my ass. I heard he dropped it in the laundry tub, filled it with water, and started drilling holes all through it to mount spikes and LEDS. Then when he went to plug it in and test the mods it went POOF.

:rofl_200::rofl_200::punk:

Yup, that sounds like something he would do.
Dave...:rofl_200:

Well, when a computer dies after a total power outage it is rarely the outage that took it down. More likely he has been hit with extended brown outages. Having the electricity to a computer cut might corrupt some data but it rarely kills it. On the other hand feeding it less power then it calls for but still enough to keep it on is very damaging to a computer. Danny ask him if his lights noticeably fade from time to time? That isn't a sure test but if they do then ya his computer is 'under attack'.

COPRUNNER when you get back, go out and buy yourself the largest Uninterpretable Power Source you can reasonably afford. At the vary least match the UPS to the internal power supply rating. On most healthy systems it is in the 450W to 500W range; if you have an old basic computer good for looking at the web and little else it will be down around 300W. Depending on the type you buy you will likely have protected and unprotected outlets. Put the computer on the protected side. If you have a 900W UPS and only need 330W for the computer then you can think about putting the monitors/speakers on the protected side as well. Just keep in mind that the UPS isn't really there to power your computer in case of power outage(well, the industrial ones are so the sys op can power down safely). The real benefit of a UPS is that when ever your power company gets hit with peak demands and temporarily drops below the required voltage your battery in the UPS will make up the difference. Then once your power company has ramped back up your internal battery on the UPS will recharge itself. The less items you have drawing from the battery, (ie the protected outlets) the longer your computer will be protected from a brown out and the longer your power company has to get back up to strength.

Also any good UPS manufacture will have both the 'protected' and unprotected outlets protected from a power surge. The truth is it is easier to protect from a surge and that surges are much less often then brown outs. I don't know how much you know about computers but this is one subject that will get me talking in my sleep.

I run a APC 500w UPS, I use it only to protect my 2 monitors and computer(500w PS). Works great for the brown outs and I have about 20 minutes to shut down the computer when the power goes out.
FYI: do not use a UPS for a printer, they draw too much power when they start printing for the UPS to handle, just use a surge protector for them.

I run a APC 500w UPS, I use it only to protect my 2 monitors and computer(500w PS). Works great for the brown outs and I have about 20 minutes to shut down the computer when the power goes out.
FYI: do not use a UPS for a printer, they draw too much power when they start printing for the UPS to handle, just use a surge protector for them.

Have you tested that? They are a bit like scuba or rescue breathers in that they tend to come up slightly short in the real world. IMO anyway also how long have you had it? Some deteriate over time more then others.

I have had my system since 2004, I used to use it for gaming when I played WoW. I did have to replace a power supply once but I think it was a defective unit because I replaced it with a identical unit that still is working 5 years later!
I live in a rural area with multiple power events per year and have used the UPS several times. I have also replaced the battery twice which is a good practice as if they get too old they can fail unexpectedly.

Call your utility company. In most states the utility is liable for damage caused by them. Low voltage, high voltage surges can all damage electronics and appliances. During an outage my friends ice melted and damaged his hardwood floor. PG&E paid to have it repaired with no problems. So it never hurts to ask them.

NSA.... really, must be them. hey if he is still alive tomorrow( i hear this is how it all starts when they want to rub someone out) he needs a surge protector power bar to hook up his machine of destruction. Also stop plotting things like taking over the world from his computer.... they are WATCHING!!!!!!!! trust no one, not even the reflection in the mirror, you never know who is watching hahahah hahahah :rofl_200::ummm:

This may explain the little clicks I hear when he calls me!! :rofl_200::confused2:

Think you hit it right on the head Mike!! :biglaugh:

Well, when a computer dies after a total power outage it is rarely the outage that took it down. More likely he has been hit with extended brown outages. Having the electricity to a computer cut might corrupt some data but it rarely kills it. On the other hand feeding it less power then it calls for but still enough to keep it on is very damaging to a computer. Danny ask him if his lights noticeably fade from time to time? That isn't a sure test but if they do then ya his computer is 'under attack'.

No doubt about it Blurr....his lights go in & out of focus all the time!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

This may explain the little clicks I hear when he calls me!! :rofl_200::confused2:

Think you hit it right on the head Mike!! :biglaugh:

No doubt about it Blurr....his lights go in & out of focus all the time!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

ohhhhh yaaaaa :whistlin::blink000:

COPRUNNER is back on line, I just got a msg from him and he is up and running with a new computer.............

Back