Deposits on magnetic sump plug

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
Today I finally got round to drop the old oil out of my motor. Shell Rotella-T 15W40, and the same is going back in. This lot went in at 41137 miles, and it's now at 44987 miles, so just under 4000 miles of use.

The oil is dark but still looks pretty ambery in color. What worries me is the metal shavings I found on the magnetic sump plug.

Please have a look at the pic and let me know wot you think - should I be worried or is this normal for a motor of this age ('86) and mileage? :ummm:

Attachments

• P1080002.jpg
    P1080002.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 60
It's a wet clutch AND a transmission as well. It's going to happen...

Chris
YEAH NO DOUGHT , THE MOTOR & TRANSMISSION ARE ONE IN THE SAME . IN MY 30 YEARS OF BEING AN AWESOME MECHANIC , ITS NORMAL ! IMO !:punk:I'D LIKE TO GET ONE OF THOSE DRAIN PLUGS ! WHERE DID YOU GET IT NAUGHTY ?:confused2:

YEAH NO DOUGHT , THE MOTOR & TRANSMISSION ARE ONE IN THE SAME . IN MY 30 YEARS OF BEING AN AWESOME MECHANIC , ITS NORMAL ! IMO !:punk:I'D LIKE TO GET ONE OF THOSE DRAIN PLUGS ! WHERE DID YOU GET IT NAUGHTY ?:confused2:

Cop Runner, just buy the final diff drain plug...it screws right in the engine.

ebay and i believe python had some, but not sure if i'd trust ebay and i think pythons are more than stock. good info tho maleko. i love how all the drain bolts are 17mm! plus my torque wrench has a insert so u can switch 1/2 or 3/8 drive, but if u take the insert out, its a 17mm ratcheting torque wrench box end!

I put rare earth mags on my oil filter. When I replace the filter I move the mags over to the new filter.

Chris

I put rare earth mags on my oil filter. When I replace the filter I move the mags over to the new filter.

Chris

i thought u were supposed to dump the mags in with the oil each change?:ummm:

It's on the outside of the can. I just take them off and put them on the new can.

Do they work?

No idea, but I know they don't hurt...

lol

Chris

true, but they'll pick up even more if they're IN the oil pan. as long as u don't mind the clang clang when ur WOT'ing the bike.

Uhm... Yeah... Not going to put anything loose in the oil pan. Especially since I'd have to pull the headers off to get the pan back off again to clean and replace. This way the crap goes out with the filter.

Uhm... Yeah... Not going to put anything loose in the oil pan. Especially since I'd have to pull the headers off to get the pan back off again to clean and replace. This way the crap goes out with the filter.

u know i was joking right chris?

could u imagine? if people were putting magnets in with their oil? i mean i guess i'm sure someone has.

Latest posts

Back